German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my soon to be 11wk old pup doesn't appear to like car rides.

Every time we take him for a drive, he starts crying all crazy... jumping on everyone in the car... and only seems to calm down a little when he sticks his head out the window. But even then, it seems like he just wants to jump out!

Is there any way of resolving this issue? Recommendations? Ideas for him to calm down and learn to enjoy it? Makes driving a real hassle, and a VERY long ride for those in the car with me.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
look up threads regarding this. TONS of ideas. It's all a matter of training and positive experiences. it does get better!!!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
It could if that works. From your description, your pup doesn't sound like he's carsick. Just that he's nervous/scared and not warmed up to the car rides yet. You could try crating him during rides so he gets used to them safely.

·
Registered
9,721 Posts
Do you have a car that is low to the ground?
I just realized my dog gets carsick in my station wagon, but not in our truck.

·
Registered
9,721 Posts
I have a 2001 Honda Accord
That just may be your problem.
He may do better with something higher.
I recently and accidentally discovered this.
Nothing I did could get him to stop barfing in my car. :(

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Good point Sunflowers. Shasta did "okay" in my mustang but wasn't thrilled. She did better in our Xterra and loves the van. She doesn't get sick anymore thankfully but I completely spaced the lower vehicle compared to a taller vehicle.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Mine cried and screamed the whole way home the day I got her...it was a very stressful ride. She cried when we went for car rides, so I started doing short ones and ones that she would like. I would take her to the park, to my dad's house, to school, etc. It took about 2 weeks and now she is amazing in the car, well SUV.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts