German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I know this topic has been discussed a multitude of times so I'll apologize in advance. We recently acquired a new GSD pup, Ton, who is 10 weeks old. He seems like a happy little guy, healthy and a good eater. He seems to be bonding well with our 8 year old son and enjoys all our friends and family. The night we brought Ton home he got sick in the car. I attributed that to a bit of anxiety leaving his litter mates, having never been in a car before (breeders vet did home visits). We gave him a few days and took him for a drive in my truck, he slept for a bit but was only up a short bit and was sick. Again two days later my wife and myself had him in the truck again for a short drive, maybe a mile or mile and a half in an effort to "desensitize" him. He did great until the very last part of the drive, unfortunately our roads have a lot of up and down due to frost right now and I feel that may have been the trigger. He had the motion of wanting to get sick so we quickly got him up on my wifes lap and tried to focus his attention out the front and side windows. He managed to finish off the drive with out any vomiting or gagging and within minutes of being out and back in the yard he was running in the snow happily.
I have been doing a fair bit of reading on car sickness and will continue to work on desensitizing him, trying to avoid any type of medications. Has anyone had any luck with other physical exercises that may help? I should mention that I feel he had minimal handling and exposures to different enviromental conditions previous to us getting him. His breeder was an older lady ( I mean no disrespect in saying that ), who lived in a quiet country home with mobility issues herself, hence the vet visiting her. I am not even 100 % sure he had been outside before we got him because when he first came home he did not even enjoy his feet touching the ground. Although now he walks out the door confidently on his own, with out being picked up, to go outside and do his business. Again thanks for any advice, insight and recommendations you may have for us.

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Ginger is suppose to be good maybe ginger snaps.
I had heard keep windows open a little make sure there is fresh air and cool In car. Drive slow and steady on short drives to fun places. They usually grow out of it if not the vet can prescribe something.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Most puppies get some level of car sickness, and most will grow out of it no problem. Nothing you have said sounds unusual for a puppy of that age. For me personally, the best way to handle it is to keep the puppy in a place in the car where it doesn't really matter if he is sick (in a crate / back of the car with a washable liner down). I make sure I don't feed a puppy before I take it for a trip in the car, it seems to help prevent sickness (and less mess if they are). Then usually by 4/5 months the sickness is usually gone or hardly ever.

·
Registered
30,965 Posts
My vet gave me Cerenia when Seger was a puppy. I couldn't get 5 minutes down the road without him being sick. It also helped him to be in the front seat instead of a crate in the back. He did outgrow it but his was pretty severe as a pup.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions so far, it just breaks my heart to see the little guy "green around the gills" as they say. I had him for a mile long drive today, four hours after he ate, he never got sick but drooled like crazy. He was a little lethargic but came around quickly once we were outside. I think I'll try just sitting in the truck tomorrow with him and maybe another short drive the day after.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I really hope this guy grows out of it, our last GSD was such an integral part of our lives. He travelled everywhere with us, hiking, beaches, sporting events etc. He was our second child.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
My vet gave me Cerenia when Seger was a puppy. I couldn't get 5 minutes down the road without him being sick. It also helped him to be in the front seat instead of a crate in the back. He did outgrow it but his was pretty severe as a pup.
About how old was your pup when they out grew it? Had our pup out today for a mile or so drive, he never got sick, he just had the shakes and drooled alot. I feel so bad for the little guy. Also do you think the "fear period" contributes to this?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts