German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready for a show and we have been taking Mia to different places to help socialize her. Up until about the time Mia was six months old she traveled fine, but now in the last month or so, every time we take her some where she gets car sick. Any suggestions? I have tried everything I can think of. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Shasta used to get car sick. Even now i dont trust her liking rides now so if i know we're going anywhere in the next couple hours, she's not allowed any food. Best you can do is avoid feeding anything at least 2-3 hours before the ride, limit water intake. Another thing my vet suggested to me was a benedryl 30 minutes before a trip in the car. You can ask your vet for other suggestions. and the correct dosage for benedryl. But you can give the store brand allergy (less drowsy doggie). Its 25mg for 50lbs (if i'm remembering it correctly). hope that helps some. My vet also suggested dramamine for motion sickness but i dont know the dosage for that one.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
my puppy was the opposite from 10 weeks to about 4 months its was almost a guarnteed puke session every ride.

he just out grew it...

sorry i was no help, but at least you know your not alone

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
oh, beside what others said, i do remember one thing my vet said.... "keep it cooler in the car" or basically don't crank the heat up. if its summer put the AC on or windows down.

i believe his point was that if the pup is hot it will be more likely to get car sick...

good luck

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
one more lol... try to position the pup so he/she can see out of the window/windshield.

it will help with the motion sickness if they can see where they are going i guess... keep in mind when i got that piece of advice my boy was probably 15 weeks old

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
one more lol... try to position the pup so he/she can see out of the window/windshield.

it will help with the motion sickness if they can see where they are going i guess... keep in mind when i got that piece of advice my boy was probably 15 weeks old
one of the things wrong with that suggestion is if they're able to look around and seeing things going by so fast can trigger them to be sick. If you can keep them looking straight instead of around at passing scenery that would be best. Think of the scene in Dr. Dolittle where lucky is watching the lines on the road passing and he starts to feel sick... Some dogs are also just better if they're crated when travelling.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Ours started that way too (she puked in the car on the way home from the rescue, and then pretty much every day for a couple months!)...what helped when she was still getting sick was to not feed her for 2-3 hours and then give her a couple of ginger snaps made from real ginger.
It seemed like the big change happened when we did a lot of short rides to fun places (go hiking, go to the park, dog park, etc), she stopped drooling and now she's fine unless she is already anxious about something. She likes to stick her head out the window now!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Ours started that way too (she puked in the car on the way home from the rescue, and then pretty much every day for a couple months!)...what helped when she was still getting sick was to not feed her for 2-3 hours and then give her a couple of ginger snaps made from real ginger.
It seemed like the big change happened when we did a lot of short rides to fun places (go hiking, go to the park, dog park, etc), she stopped drooling and now she's fine unless she is already anxious about something. She likes to stick her head out the window now!

thats similar to what we did with Shasta. Short rides to fun places. dog park on a cool day and dogs we know. she especially loves the pet store trips. she's gotten better but is still a little reserved in the car though more interested in whats going on.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Fortunately I've NEVER had a serious problem with car sickness, but I've read that giving a dog a few ginger snaps before a ride can help.

·
Registered
67 Posts
AH couldnt help myself lol make sure she hasnt eaten anyones under pants?? lol

"Then on the way to Petco, Aiden got sick, poor guy. But guess what he threw up!? He vomited up a pair of my mom's underwear! A WHOLE pair! I was glad that we took him on a longer car ride when we did, because I doubt he'd be able to pass those on his own.... It was gross, but I'm glad they came out. :blush:"
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/stories/145810-fun-morning.html

No but seriously just thought you could use a laugh!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts