German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Fonzie, German Shepherd
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if I bring my 5-month-old puppy for car rides, if it would help with socialization and if it would strengthen our bond? He likes being in the car when we go to the vet...

·
Registered
516 Posts
It's time spent with you in new environments--if conditions are safe, yes.

Also, you can turn destinations into opportunities. Park at the back, take you pup out (leashed, longline) & have a quick (5 min max) training party, or play party. That is, training games or organized toy play in these new environments. Pup will learn that whatever is going on, wherever you go, attention on you, activity with you, is awesome.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Both my dogs love the car. I took my last girl every single morning to drop the kids off at school for years. I don't think it's the best for building engagement but is a good positive experience for all. My current boys do 3-4 runs to the cottage most weekends

·
Super Moderator
5,118 Posts
one caution. Sometimes we get dogs that get over excited in the car and whine and squirm and carry on. Take some car rides to no where. Take a reading break in the car and don't even leave the parking lot. Take a ride to the store and wait in the car with your pup while someone goes in and picks up goodies (weather dependent of course). And of course take those drives to the park.

And consider containment. Some use a harness and tether. Some use a crate in the vehicle. I have screens on my windows and hammock style cover over the back seat. If you slam on the breaks your pup will get thrown around.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
one caution. Sometimes we get dogs that get over excited in the car and whine and squirm and carry on. Take some car rides to no where. Take a reading break in the car and don't even leave the parking lot. Take a ride to the store and wait in the car with your pup while someone goes in and picks up goodies (weather dependent of course). And of course take those drives to the park.

And consider containment. Some use a harness and tether. Some use a crate in the vehicle. I have screens on my windows and hammock style cover over the back seat. If you slam on the breaks your pup will get thrown around.
Mine just does soft whines sometimes going to but almost always coming back. He’s a home body but a few years back he started refusing to get out of the car if the ride was a dud. Like a sit in protest.lol

Lately I’ve been talkative. Anyway, the love for a ride as we (I’m a senior also) get up there in age I think is very important especially when they reach a point where mobility is an issue and a car ride becomes a form of excitement/entertainment in and of itself. Bless those drive up windows. Had to add, sometimes we just pack a “lunch” and tail gate. Still mobile but tailgating is fun.

·
Registered
Fonzie, German Shepherd
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

thanks!!! I did what you said yesterday. drove to a place and stayed for some time. Then drove and took him to play with some humans. I use a doggy seatbelt that you attach to the headrest of the seat and one that you buckle in like a human seatbelt. I of course use a harness.

·
Super Moderator
5,118 Posts
Lately I’ve been talkative. Anyway, the love for a ride as we (I’m a senior also) get up there in age I think is very important especially when they reach a point where mobility is an issue and a car ride becomes a form of excitement/entertainment in and of itself. Bless those drive up windows. Had to add, sometimes we just pack a “lunch” and tail gate. Still mobile but tailgating is fun.
tail gating can be a very pleasant outing. Hopefully your buddy will be able to get in and out of the car easily for a long time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts