German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay Schutzhund people.... What kind of crate to use for the car? Need one by next Sunday. Preferably one that is not crazy expensive, and will last. :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
It really depends on the dog and what fits. I have two 450s airline crate side by side... and can thrown a third 36"inch wire crate in the back.
Make sure it is balanced and doesn't flip when you drive... learned that the hard way.... poor pup was standing in a sideways crate.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Alexis, I'm glad to see someone using a wire crate! I use that for his crate at home...and it is still pretty much in perfect condition. Most of the dogs at the club today were in the carrier type ones...and I was just worried he'd get bored and try to chew those.

I have a Saturn Vue, with nothing in the trunk so it'd fit back there...these types of crates you want smaller than one for the house correct?

And another question...do you guys give your dogs anything to entertain themselves while they are in there?

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Alexis, I'm glad to see someone using a wire crate! I use that for his crate at home...and it is still pretty much in perfect condition. Most of the dogs at the club today were in the carrier type ones...and I was just worried he'd get bored and try to chew those.

I have a Saturn Vue, with nothing in the trunk so it'd fit back there...these types of crates you want smaller than one for the house correct?

And another question...do you guys give your dogs anything to entertain themselves while they are in there?
I think crate size is just preference/what fits in the car best. I don't have anything in the crate at all except a bath mat on the pan. In that picture, I happened to have the bath mat in the washing machine, so the blanket was an exception lol.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Depends on whether your dog is a crate buster while other dogs are being worked. The wire crate will last about 2 seconds with a high drive dog in it.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I am not schutzhund people but SAR and our dogs spend a lot of crate time

It was well worth the money to spend on a welded aluminum crate. We were fortunate when my car was on a slant and the dog's leg (Grim) went between the wire and the crate pan. It took a strong man reaching into his crate pushing up on him while I was feeding his paw back through the opening. It could easily have been a broken leg and would be had he not been the most amazing dog he was (whenever he was hurt he let us help him instead of thrashing about)

So

I refuse to travel a dog in a wire crate. I would use a vari-kennel but the welded aluminum is, to me, the one that will protect my dog and is an investment for the next several dogs. I got the Owens 55033 at around $500 it was the least expensive welded crate I could buy. How much would a broken leg have set me back? If money was not an object I would have gone custom.

Actually, at a SAR seminar I did see a dog make short order of a wire crate in the 10 minutes we were all gone doing an excercise and the dog came running up to his handler. I have also seen some team dogs bust crates. So if we carpool I drve and they use my crates instead of vice versa - one slam latch and an upper and lower latch is pretty secure (the new ones only have one slam latch..mmm..) plus I can lock the slam latch with a key which is a nice option some places we have to leave them.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Crate type really depends on a lot of things, the most important one being how does your dog act? Some dogs bite bars, thrash around, bend the doors, etc. If you've got a dog that is neurotic in a kennel during bitework, you may not have much of a choice.

I use wire crates (except my puppy kennel which is plastic) and have never had an issue. I like wire for many reasons but the main thing is that my dogs have never busted out, destroyed one, or injured themselves on one.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I have 2 36" crates side by side.

Divider is not usually there between the crates... Zefra was in heat so I used a 48" metal crate pan as a divider between Stark and here in this photo.

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
If you can afford it, I would eventually go with the aluminum custom crates. I finally was able to buy a used unit (2 dog) and it is the best money I have ever spent. They are lockable and will take a lot of abuse. I also use vari kennels (500 for my adults and smaller for younger dogs) and I have an old Furrari 450 because it fits nicely in the back seat of my truck.

Kustom Krates home page

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies everyone :)

I will look into all the options here..

And I have NO idea how he's going to act, since he hasn't been there yet. In his crate at home he's fine, doesnt bite or thrash or anything. But with other dogs around who knows.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Seriously, how does everyone fit their German Shepherds in 36in long crates?! :eek: I bought a kennel today that size, cause im pretty sure a 40in long crate will not fit in my car....and he is smushed in there while laying. I mean his paws are smushed in the front....Is this okay? Is he gonna out grow this thing because if so i'll just return it, it was 100 bucks.. Height wise and width wise it's fine. He can turn around and stand. :help:

·
Registered
27,249 Posts
I have a 42" for my van or an XL Vari-kennel(700) my dog won't fit in anything smaller...and I don't want him cramping up when he has to be contained in the cold or heat. That is THE only reason I drive a mini-van....SUV's won't allow the height of a larger crate.
I have a truck which does, but I can't control the temps in the cargo area during travel, so the fugly minivan is the dog ride.
My dog always carries the sleeve to a club members cool jeep wrangler, he hates the fugly mini-van too!

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I measured the width of the trunk earlier, 36 inches...length wise, it's not very long. I can put the seats down though, but then he'd be slightly angled......Hm. I'd hate to buy another HUGE wire crate like in my house...but I guess eventually it'd be useful for my second dog. The kennel is SO heavy...

Haha! And a dog friendly vehicle would be nice! Too bad I don't have money for that :D Although I do have a Saturn Vue, which is a smaller SUV, so it's pretty big compared to some cars.........I need like an F450 :eek:

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a 42" for my van or an XL Vari-kennel(700) my dog won't fit in anything smaller...and I don't want him cramping up when he has to be contained in the cold or heat. That is THE only reason I drive a mini-van....SUV's won't allow the height of a larger crate.
I have a truck which does, but I can't control the temps in the cargo area during travel, so the fugly minivan is the dog ride.
My dog always carries the sleeve to a club members cool jeep wrangler, he hates the fugly mini-van too!
LOL! Thats funny..

I am shopping around for a new (used) car in a few months...maybe a mini van is my calling. :blush:

Has anyone tried those car divider things? ...They separate the trunk from the rest of the car.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Well, I measured the width of the trunk earlier, 36 inches...length wise, it's not very long. I can put the seats down though, but then he'd be slightly angled......Hm. I'd hate to buy another HUGE wire crate like in my house...but I guess eventually it'd be useful for my second dog. The kennel is SO heavy...

Haha! And a dog friendly vehicle would be nice! Too bad I don't have money for that :D Although I do have a Saturn Vue, which is a smaller SUV, so it's pretty big compared to some cars.........I need like an F450 :eek:
Haha I have a F-150 and and it's too small:D. Four crates, the dog gear and my helper gear and it's packed! I have a crew cab just so I can still have a seat for me and the GF haha.

I would go bigger crate and fold the seats down. Make/find something to put under the crate to level it out. Most people I know with SUV's make them into big two seaters for their dogs.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Haha I have a F-150 and and it's too small:D. Four crates, the dog gear and my helper gear and it's packed! I have a crew cab just so I can still have a seat for me and the GF haha.

I would go bigger crate and fold the seats down. Make/find something to put under the crate to level it out. Most people I know with SUV's make them into big two seaters for their dogs.
Darn! Guess that's out of the plans then. Mini van it is LOL.

Well, tomorrow I will take his crate from my room out there and see if it fits (his crate he fits in perfectly, plenty of space, its 40 in long) So if I can make it fit, I'll go return the kennel and buy a 40in long crate or kennel.

Dog stuff can be so complicated! :crazy: You guys shoulda seen me (and Berlin because he HAD to be where I was, in the way) trying to get this giant thing out of the car. :help:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts