German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

So in a couple of months, I will be relocating from Detroit, Michigan, down to the Cape Coral-Fort Myers area of Florida. With me will be my two GSD's, Lanee and Rogan. As I begin this transitional period in my life, I am trying to find a home to rent. Unlike Michigan, Florida has their "aggressive breed" list of dogs that insurance companies zealously wield to keep certain pets out of rental homes, apartments, and so forth. German Shepherds are, unfairly, included on that list. As a result, I am running into brick wall after brick wall trying to find a home with a fenced yard to rent in Cape Coral or in Fort Myers. It's so difficult, in fact, some realtors simply end the conversation as soon as "German Shepherds..." comes out of my mouth.

I need help. I need to find a home in this area. I am not wanting to re-home my babies. That's unpalatable, unacceptable, unthinkable.

Can anyone help guide me in the right direction?

Much love as always.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Hey all,

So in a couple of months, I will be relocating from Detroit, Michigan, down to the Cape Coral-Fort Myers area of Florida. With me will be my two GSD's, Lanee and Rogan. As I begin this transitional period in my life, I am trying to find a home to rent. Unlike Michigan, Florida has their "aggressive breed" list of dogs that insurance companies zealously wield to keep certain pets out of rental homes, apartments, and so forth. German Shepherds are, unfairly, included on that list. As a result, I am running into brick wall after brick wall trying to find a home with a fenced yard to rent in Cape Coral or in Fort Myers. It's so difficult, in fact, some realtors simply end the conversation as soon as "German Shepherds..." comes out of my mouth.

Can anyone help guide me in the right direction?

Much love as always.

I use this company to rent out my house in Cape Coral. They wont take you either. Here is the insurance list. Be careful in that area with owner direct rentals although that may be your only option. A few years ago it was one of the highest foreclosure areas in the USA. Great deals on buying can be found. Rental market $$$ is getting high.

http://miloffaubuchonrealty.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Dog-List-Insurance-Company-Provided-3.pdf

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great deals on buying can be found. Rental market $$$ is getting high.

Yeah I've noticed that too. Buying isn't something I had planned on, because I wanted to get my feet planted there, spend a year getting acclimated as a full-time resident, and then deciding where I truly wanted to live...THEN buy.

But yes, rental prices are ridiculous.

Thanks for the info on the list though.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I found this listing https://www.featuredrentals.com/details/4VMDKX BUT I think the renter simply forgot to put something in about "aggressive breeds". You could call and ask about your dogs' acceptability. Honestly, I think you're going to have trouble in this area and there's little way around it. I am trying VERY HARD right now not to go on my rant about bad legislation created by dumb people who understand nothing regarding what they are creating legislation for.

In NY I had to do a lot of research because I wanted to get a British Timber dog (GSD/Husky/Malamute mix, possibility of some wolf waaaaaaay back in the lines, maybe 5%). NYS has laws against wolf hybrids. Two separate agencies have two separate kinds of laws regarding wild animals and pets. Pets fall under jurisdiction of the Agriculture Dept. We do NOT have "aggressive breeds" listed despite the number of pit bulls attacking other dogs and children for some reason.

If I were in the situation, I might try to pass my dog off as some other breed. "He's a Belgian Waterdog". "My Bavarian Hühnerwächter is a real couch potato." A renter just wants to rent a house. Will he ask for vet records? Can he? Maybe you need to consult with a lawyer. I don't know who'd be liable if anything happened regarding the dogs, like if a burglar scaled the fence and tried to break in the house and got scratched by one of the dogs.

I feel for you!

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
No advice just sending wishes for your search to land you a good place to live for you and your pup. We have two rentals and we have allowed dogs in the one. It has a decent back yard the other has no yard , We decide individually after checking references and credit. Most of our tenants have had pit/ bull mixes. We manage our two ourselves and we are in Ohio in a small metropolitan area so we don't have the legislation to deal with.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I totally get the bad legislation rant desire aspect of it. I went off on a similar rant a few days ago to a family member after I got fed up having realtors just say "sorry, no interest in dealing with you." Having the door slammed on me like that is new. I've looked at Florida's "aggressive breeds" list, and it's ridiculous the types of dogs they have on there. I never thought I'd be a position in life having to deal with *that*, but here I am....

Thank you for the best wishes Daisy & Lucky's Mom :)

I know we'll find a house. Just won't be easy or cheap. But I made a commitment when I rescued both of my babies to stay true to them for life. I will honor that no matter what the cost.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
That's weird I'm in FL too (near Orlando) and as far as I know there's no aggressive breed bans or lists. Not to mention pretty much everyone and their mother has a pitbull in this area. We rented from an apartment for a while and had no issues. We were potty training G on the third floor and the management actually let us put a big container full of grass outside our door and they had dog treats in the office and had just built a dog playground before we moved. You should really think about buying soon if you can though...

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
That's weird I'm in FL too (near Orlando) and as far as I know there's no aggressive breed bans or lists. Not to mention pretty much everyone and their mother has a pitbull in this area. We rented from an apartment for a while and had no issues. We were potty training G on the third floor and the management actually let us put a big container full of grass outside our door and they had dog treats in the office and had just built a dog playground before we moved. You should really think about buying soon if you can though...

You are correct, not a Florida law, its an insurance company thing. Only two areas have some county laws on Pit Bulls

https://www.dogsbite.org/legislating-dangerous-dogs-florida.php

·
Registered
101 Posts
Waffle Iron, if the house you've found doesn't work out, I might have a possibility for you. My sister is renting a house in Cape Coral, and planning to move from there to the east coast of Florida to be closer to my mom in a few months, if not sooner. My sister has 3 dogs and 3 cats, and at least one of her dogs looks very much like a pittie to me, so I think your GSDs would be okay there.

The yard is fenced and has a pool.

Let me know if your other option doesn't pan out and you'd like me to get more info (and confirmation that GSDs are okay).

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Waffle Iron, if the house you've found doesn't work out, I might have a possibility for you. My sister is renting a house in Cape Coral, and planning to move from there to the east coast of Florida to be closer to my mom in a few months, if not sooner. My sister has 3 dogs and 3 cats, and at least one of her dogs looks very much like a pittie to me, so I think your GSDs would be okay there.

The yard is fenced and has a pool.

Let me know if your other option doesn't pan out and you'd like me to get more info (and confirmation that GSDs are okay).

I absolutely will. I applied to a really nice house that's managed by a husband/wife team in Cape Coral. I applied yesterday. They ran my credit last night (which it's great, no issues), then the house was taken off the market this morning. So I assume those are good signs. But I haven't heard anything further, which has me a little nervous.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just to update everyone: looks like the house I applied for I got! Just finalizing paperwork, including signing a lease. Lanee and Rogan are going to have an even bigger yard and a pool now! I'm so excited!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts