German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been battling with fleas for close to a month now!!! I refuse to purchase, advantage, revolution or anything of the sort.
I have given all animals (Bob and 2 cats) in the house dawn dish soap baths, vacuumed continuously with borax, all laundry has been washed with borax.
Garlic, apple cider vinager, cinnamon have all been added to diets.
HELP!!!!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Are you giving the springtime garlic granules?

If you have an infestation you may need to resort to chemical treatments until it is under control. Have you bombed your house? Put diatomaceous earth in all the cracks. Have you treated your yard with beneficial nematodes (they work very well)

Are your cats inside only or inside-outside?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you giving the springtime garlic granules?

If you have an infestation you may need to resort to chemical treatments until it is under control. Have you bombed your house? Put diatomaceous earth in all the cracks. Have you treated your yard with beneficial nematodes (they work very well)

Are your cats inside only or inside-outside?
The cats are indoor cats.... Who escape from time to time....
Where can I find diatomaceous earth?

Also he gets fresh garlic or garlic powder if no fresh on hand

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I have been battling with fleas for close to a month now!!! I refuse to purchase, advantage, revolution or anything of the sort.
I have given all animals (Bob and 2 cats) in the house dawn dish soap baths, vacuumed continuously with borax, all laundry has been washed with borax.
Garlic, apple cider vinager, cinnamon have all been added to diets.
HELP!!!!!

Many years ago I moved into a home with two dogs, and they had never had fleas in their lives. The house we moved into was crawling with them. After trying everything you have tried for about 2 years, I put my guys on Program. It renders any fleas that bite them sterile. I continued with the vacuuming and topical things, but within 2-3 months the fleas were gone, and we never had an infestation again. Fleas live and lay eggs in the carpet, dog bedding, furniture, etc., while they feed off your dog. The Program stopped the whole cycle, and I never had to use it again. (You do have to continue frequent vacuuming, however :) ) And, as far as I knew, the dogs never suffered any ill effects.

Susan

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
There comes a point where you have to do something that gets rid of them due to the health impacts that fleas can have on them. Not only that, fleas ride along on whoever, so you are now a person taking fleas with you to all the places you go. Which exposes those peoples' animals as well.

Fleas shutdown Salinas library | Salinas News - KSBW Home

Mystery fleas shuttered a county courthouse in New York for two days - The Washington Post

The Dangers of Fleas in Cats - Page 1 keep the cats in or you will just continue this on and on and on.

So you may have to use some products you don't want to that people can explain better with the bombs, etc, things like Capstar will kill them right then and there - and then go on. Talk to your vet - mine respects that I try to keep them off topical products or anything for fleas/ticks that is chemical, but they also know I will listen to them if something like this happens, which it did with a foster puppy once.

http://youtu.be/cTMkxhPtFfw

http://youtu.be/iGOJNDJ6Kv0 (this was too graphic for me even though it was fleas)

Not recommending Capstar/endorsing it, but imagine this!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Homemade Flea Killer With Natural Ingredients | eHow

When I lived in MS fleas were very bad. I did a combo of the mule team borax, dawn dish soap baths, and included the garlic in food and the citrus flea spray in the link above. However these things didn't stop the cycle of eggs hatching so I had to bomb the house twice.

Have you flea combed your cats? Check their arm pits, their chin/neck, and the base of their tails.

·
Registered
9,486 Posts
If the fleas are winning, you really need to pull out the big guns, otherwise you won't be able to get ahead.
Treat them with something, treat your house, get rid of those things because they carry all kinds of evil parasites, including tapeworm.

The holistic veterinarian here uses Advantage on her own dogs. Sometimes you just have to squeeze your eyes tightly shut and use the strong stuff.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
what I have found that's also helps, is the carpet treatment, the powder, dump some in your vacuum cleaner, and leave it in there, put more in when you change bags or empty it,

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
I agree--treat with Advantage once at least, to get control of this situation. Spray your yard monthly (or even biweekly) with Wondercide (I think that company makes a home product too---check the website--all their products use cedar oil). Vacuum daily. Get them under control before your month of protection with Advantage lapses.
http://www.wondercide.com/

Stop bathing your dogs in Dawn. It's too drying (and not all that natural...given your goal). I've had good luck with this shampoo on the flea-ridden foster dogs (which doesn't contain pesticides--but follow the directions EXACTLY):
Amazon.com : DeFlea Ready to Use Flea & Tick Shampoo for Dogs and Cats 33.8oz : Pet Shampoos : Pet Supplies

If your dogs have been fighting fleas for a while, taking them in for fecal tests would be a good idea, given the tape worm risk.

ETA: make sure you bathe flea-ridden dogs correctly too--there's a technique to it. Start at the head. The fleas run back away from the flea shampoo toward the rear. By the time you get the tip of the tail, and between the toes, there's no where to hide. (If you start with the rear, they'll run to the head and hide in the ears and even the nostrils and escape the lather. That's what you want to avoid by starting at the head.)

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
The cats are indoor cats.... Who escape from time to time....
Where can I find diatomaceous earth?

Also he gets fresh garlic or garlic powder if no fresh on hand

Depending on the weather you can use the DE outside to. It will work as long as it doesn't get wet. I have used that stuff on the carpets to, but it can be very messy. I would advise removing pets and covering any fish tanks until the dust settles. I've watched it work on ants almost immediately. I'm sure there are fleas around me outside but I haven't seen one in the house. I have way to many animals to treat if it happens so I try preventing it.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Garden stores, feed stores, just be sure to get the food grade not the pool grade. But it is not without danger. You should not inhale it as it is an irritant. It needs to be put where animals would not be inhaling it either.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Garden stores, feed stores, just be sure to get the food grade not the pool grade. But it is not without danger. You should not inhale it as it is an irritant. It needs to be put where animals would not be inhaling it either.
Oh I learned this the hard way:( That is why I recommended removing pets, it was quite dusty and I could feel it in my lungs.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had a flea infestation this year and it took about 2 months to get everything under control-I live on a farm and long with 20 cats and 2 dogs it was a challenge to get them under control. I suspect that the fleas developed a resistance to the Frontline plus I had been using on all animals monthly for the past 10 years, however, I did switch it up a few times but not enough...Anyway....what I had to do....

I had to go the heavy chemical route-treating the animals, house, bedding, yard and even the trails we walk daily....

I washed, vacuumed, bathed and dipped the dogs/cats and used a different topical product. I also started adding in Nylar separate from the spot on treatments every 3 weeks to follow the fleas life cycle- for both the animals and made a spray for the house and around the general yard. Nylar is the flea birth control and not a pesticide-making it safer to use. It took near 2 months but I got them under control as long as I stay on top of everything.

I bought all the new products from a vet online (ebay-drautherwells) and he even called me and recommended different products than what I order (for the same price) since I had cats so that all products would be safe for them too. I made my own spot-on from the concentrates (treats 650lb) along with Nitenpyram I gave oral to get the current fleas off the animals themselves (works in about 30min) but it only last for 24h-this is where the other topical flea control comes in along with the nylar and treating the environment....

Good luck

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
Bath the dog with Defendex .

Treat your home environment with Lavender essential oil diluted into witch hazel , spritz dog - (safe) .

Wash bedding with hot water , and eucalyptus oil in your washing machine. Eucalyptus in wash goes back to grannies day -- used for bedding -- kills dust mites which are an allergen source for people.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Eucalyptus in wash goes back to grannies day -- used for bedding -- kills dust mites which are an allergen source for people.
This is intriguing -- approx. how much EO do you put in the wash? (I've used tea tree oil in the laundry for clothes and cloth leashes when we were at the shelter around dogs with ringworm, but I've never tried Eucalyptus in the laundry. This is an interesting idea!)

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
This is intriguing -- approx. how much EO do you put in the wash? (I've used tea tree oil in the laundry for clothes and cloth leashes when we were at the shelter around dogs with ringworm, but I've never tried Eucalyptus in the laundry. This is an interesting idea!)
I know I found it interesting. Do I put it in the washer or in with the detergent? I have a front loader.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts