German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sarge and I are coming along nicely. He's officially passed the one year mark with much ado!

All his commands are in German, which is great when guests are over and they say "Sarge, Come!" or "Sarge, Down!" and he looks at me with the "I know this strange person is issuing a command... but I'll be darned if *I* know what it is... dad?"

Anyway... the only thing I've not been able to do is stop the excited piddling. I don't want to crate him just to answer the door when people come over because I don't want him thinking that the doorbell means "run to the crate!!" - so for now, guests are warned to be calm and wait until he's acting calmly before trying to pet, otherwise the risk getting "wet toes". I make a joke of it so they don't think I'm warning of an aggressive dog, just a "happy" dog..

so how do I tackle this one last issue? Everything else is fantastic with him!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Update pictures

Is this just something that happens at home or on outings as well? people he knows? or any stranger that seems intertesting?

What classes have you done together? sometimes it's partly a confidence issue & doing classes (obedience, tricks, agility etc) can really help.

Have you talked to your vet about this? sometimes it's physiological BUT then I'd expect it to happen other times as well.

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
Isa use to do the excitable piddle till she was about a year and a half. I had to keep telling people to ignore her until she was completely calm. It worked for her.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Is it submissive peeing or excited peeing?
The other thing you might have a vet check for, besides the UTI, is being able to control the muscles. It's called WEAK BLADDER SPHINCTER, there are medications that can help the dog. I have helped a couple of people with their pups from other breeders who where not willing to give them any kind of support. Some was excited urination, us ethe calming stuff like you are doing. One was submissive and we did behavior changes on both the human and the dog. One was submissive but she also had weak muscles and the vet recommended medication. Behavior modification for both human and dog plus temporary medication fixed the issue.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
This old trick has worked well for us with the different fosters over the years - if you are petting the dog, do not talk. If you are talking to the dog, hands off and do not pet. Quite often the stimulation of both actions will trigger the squirting reaction.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Raven piddled like that until just over a yr. old - then she just stopped.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Quote: so for now, guests are warned to be calm and wait until he's acting calmly before trying to pet,
I think YOU are one of the smartest owners ever cause YOU are actually doing the very best thing for your pup and company already!

You do want company greeted and for Sarge to be out when they arrive
So your current management arrangement is just perfect!

So keep up the good work, and hopefully this is something that, as he get older, it's not QUITE so exciting when new people arrive, so he'll just be able to control it on his own.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for the replies!

I have spoken with the vet about the issue and she did mention that perhaps it could be a physiological issue, but since he's just bridged the one year mark, she recommended holding off on medications.

Most of the time, it only happens at home. While we are out socializing, he HAS been known to do it, but that has recently stopped. Our socializing regimine is kept totally random, so he never knows where we are going. Sometimes we go somewhere for HIM, sometimes we just go for a car ride - other times, we go several places... but he virtually ALWAYS goes with me when I leave the house on errands.

I don't think it's submissive peeing - it appears that he only does it when he's excited to see people, and I mean ANYONE that comes to the house. Heck, he gets excited when my children come home from school - every day - at the same time... it's a ritual if you will... but he still gets excited and piddles when handled immediately.

We are currently working on a down-stay (sitz - Bleib) at the front door when he hears the doorbell. Yesterday was the first time he actually did it on his own. My hope is to be able to give him a release command from there.

Here are a few updated photos of him... good grief he's a good lookin' young man, but I am a little biased. These were taken in April of this year, so he's still a puppy.

and this is Sarge just a few days ago standing with my 13 year old Daughter, Courtney. Sarge is just over a year in this photo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts