German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
9,913 Posts
I had to deal with a horrible case of pyometra in our Aussie. She had mostly silent heats, no problems. We were diligent in keeping her away from intact males while she was in heat, so no opps litters.

Then she got pyometra and the surgery and recovery was hard on her. She was seven years at the time and was very sick. The guilt I felt and the worry I had was enough to change my mind about spays. Yes, let them develop. But don't put it off like I did. Once they hit two years? Unless you have competitive requirements to keep them intact? Spay.
Sheilah
The fear of Pyo was the reason for considering spaying. I still couldn't make up my mind until the mammary tumor. A next female will be spayed much sooner than at 6 years old.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Wait...No, hormone production does NOT remain intact with spaying. ALL repro organs are removed... ovaries especially, since that's where the eggs are.
Fodder is correct, Ovaries are spared in the partial spay/Ovary sparing spay , so hormone production will remain intact.

·
Registered
15,935 Posts
My two are 6 & 10. With the 10 yo I got some "spay" pressure from the vet. I took in the information about hemangio & spaying --- it was an eye-opener for the vet - after reading it she said "It's not as cut and dried as we thought it was, is it." The now 10 yo stayed intact until she was 4. Her false pregnancies affected her to the point that during those periods she thought no other dog belonged on the face of the earth. My now 6 yo remains intact. No false pregnancies but the typical pre-heat hair dump. No pregnancies in either bitch. For the first 3.5 years with the older dog, we lived in town. Didn't turn out to be a problem. Now we live in the country. Has not been a problem to date.

Weigh the health issues (mammary cancer can be detected and survived, hemangio, well, no), decide if and when.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts