German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,233 Posts
You’re overreacting. Nobody is judging or disrespecting you, they’re trying to help. You asked for advice and people gave you advice. Just because you don’t like some of the advice doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with it.

·
Super Moderator
6,973 Posts
At this point I will simply take away my alerts on this post as my questions was about donating my dog, not about any concerns or judgement on her being a SD, the way we ( my team) and I decide when she should work or not. I feel disrespected and judged. Thank you for all the positive comments and interactions. As for the rest, I will simply ignore ignorance.
You know, you’ve gotta do whatever is right for you and helps you to navigate this site comfortably... although yes, you got some unsolicited input based on previous, public, posts of yours... but every single reply in this thread also gave you information and opinions regarding your dogs spay - some that I feel was even more relevant to your situation knowing that your dog is a service dog.

its not everyday on this board that you come across a SD handler and a SD trainer, yet you had both willing to share in this thread...

I’ll stop there.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
To the Op, just because a member “likes” a reply doesn’t mean that you are not liked. Also often I have found that when a reply ruffles my feathers I take more time to think on it. Usually I have let my heart rule what my head didn’t have a chance to chew on.

Dogs in panties do not bother me if outside but if in a super market where food is, I would find it a bit disconcerting. Perhaps there is no basis but I think the general public just has an aversion to what diapers imply. I cringe when I see human babies in just a diaper sitting in a shopping cart.

·
Registered
9,913 Posts
OP, If I were you, I could care less what the public thinks. You do whatever you decide. As long as your dog is behaving well in public, there is no issue IMO. But if there is an intact male close by you when your dog is in heat, you better hope that that dog is under control. I kept Deja home when she was in heat and took a break from everything. I kinda enjoyed that and she as fine. BTW, why is a diaper more of a concern than a stupidly dressed up dog? I consider a dog with a diaper to have responsible owners.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I was caught between breeder advice and the vet. The vet is at least respectful of my wishes, though she weighs in favor of spaying. My dog has been through one heat cycle, and remains intact. The breeder made the pitch that going through at least one or two heat cycles would help her reach full maturity.

It was not a particularly messy first heat. While my wife and I are not overly "house proud," neither do we say, "here is the house, go ahead and destroy it!" Within those parameters, it was totally manageable. We have a decent carpet shampooer, but did not wind up needing it.

I expected some male nuisance dogs, out on walks, if nowhere else. Not so much. Indeed, not at all, now that I think about it. Kind of surprising. I guess most people where I am living neuter their male dogs. We have male dogs on each side of our property, and they must be neutered.

My vet pitched some health benefits on certain kinds of cancers. But I think when one pores over the various studies out there, benefits/drawbacks cut both ways with the obvious exception that spaying will avoid unwanted puppies.

·
Registered
113 Posts
All of you my pros! You know this breed. I am new...
Shadow is 16 months. My breeder told me to wait between 24 and 30 months old to have her spayed. That she would get her full growth specially the head and shoulders.
Is this true? What did you do?
Thank you
A lost mommy!!!!
I waited til my boy was a year and half, which was 2 days ago LOL because of this 'Full Growth" thing! If you're willing to deal with periods and all that and the attitude that comes with being intact go for it!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would get her spayed now and be done with it. Pick a time when you and her will be able to be home for a couple of weeks so she can heal, and then you are done with it and life goes on - safely! You knew this time would happen and here it is. This should be the hardest thing you two will have to go through! Good luck!

·
Registered
9,913 Posts
I waited til my boy was a year and half, which was 2 days ago LOL because of this 'Full Growth" thing! If you're willing to deal with periods and all that and the attitude that comes with being intact go for it!
Attitude seems a weird reason for spaying a dog. Training will do the trick.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you for starting this thread Shadow's Mommy!
Our dogs are roughly the same age, Josie is currently in her 2nd heat cycle and I've been wondering about when to have her spayed. Very concerned about unwanted pregnancy, especially since she wandered off our property and was gone for about 10 minutes yesterday.
I am planning to speak to the vet about OSS. In this case I wouldn't think one has to wait til after 2 years old since the ability to produce reproductive hormones remains intact.
Are you opting for traditional vs non traditional spay?
Wait...No, hormone production does NOT remain intact with spaying. ALL repro organs are removed... ovaries especially, since that's where the eggs are.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Shadow is 16 months. My breeder told me to wait between 24 and 30 months old to have her spayed. That she would get her full growth specially the head and shoulders.
Thank you
A lost mommy!!!!
In the long run, it's an individual, personal decision. Every owner is different, so I'll put my two cents in as one who has had service dogs, has had several dogs spayed/neutered and has had a few regrets in some cases.

We've had a few dogs that were so unique in their temperament (my mobility service dog was the best example) or their skills as a search and rescue dog, that we wish we could have waited before spaying or neutering. Happy was a one-in-a-million service dog, who came to us neutered. Had he been donated to us before the neutering, I would have probably been able to train the pup to model after him, before he passed. He had amazing instinct and qualities. Unfortunately, I've yet to find a match to replace him, or his unique abilities.

If I could have done it over, I would have waited in several cases, not only because vets do often recommend waiting to the time described, but also because as the owner and trainer of a service dog, you are still learning about the dog's temperament during early development. Will she be that 1-in-a-million service dog that could also provide a future generation of support for you? It's worth weighing that question sometimes.

Good luck! Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you
A lost mommy!!!!
HI, I waited to have my current male neutered till about a year and a half. I had my previous boys neutered earlier. I have not noticed any difference. Vets say do it earlier...breeders say do it later. I would take into consideration the fact that it is harder on them the older they get, especially the females. If you have no intention on breeding I would say you have waited long enough. Waiting longer will make it harder on her when that time comes.
Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
6,973 Posts
Wait...No, hormone production does NOT remain intact with spaying. ALL repro organs are removed... ovaries especially, since that's where the eggs are.
OOS = ovary sparing spay

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
I had to deal with a horrible case of pyometra in our Aussie. She had mostly silent heats, no problems. We were diligent in keeping her away from intact males while she was in heat, so no opps litters.

Then she got pyometra and the surgery and recovery was hard on her. She was seven years at the time and was very sick. The guilt I felt and the worry I had was enough to change my mind about spays. Yes, let them develop. But don't put it off like I did. Once they hit two years? Unless you have competitive requirements to keep them intact? Spay.
Sheilah

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you
A lost mommy!!!!
Yes, that is true! Wait until at least two years old if you have to have her spayed. She won’t be finished growing until 2 years old. Those joints and growth plates need to close.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thank you
A lost mommy!!!!
Yes this is very true. Studies have been conducted by UC Davis a large breed and Shepherds do not finish developing until 24 months. Spaying and neutering shouldn’t be done before 24 months. There is a reason why as Breeders we say to wait unless there is a health reason to do it earlier. My husband was from Germany and told me about this before the study was posted. If at all possible I would suggest following what your Breeder has guided you on. It is something that is very noticeable in a male between 2- 2 1/2 a male’s head gets the width and the masculinity develops depending on the bloodlines. Spaying early is similar to giving a young girl a hysterectomy. I couldn’t post the link to the study for you but you should be able to find it through a google search .. I hopes this helps you

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes this is very true. Studies have been conducted by UC Davis a large breed and Shepherds do not finish developing until 24 months. Spaying and neutering shouldn’t be done before 24 months. There is a reason why as Breeders we say to wait unless there is a health reason to do it earlier. My husband was from Germany and told me about this before the study was posted. If at all possible I would suggest following what your Breeder has guided you on. It is something that is very noticeable in a male between 2- 2 1/2 a male’s head gets the width and the masculinity develops depending on the bloodlines. Spaying early has the possibility of developing serious problems .. Golden retriever study suggests neutering affects dog health
I hopes this helps you

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
I had to deal with a horrible case of pyometra in our Aussie. She had mostly silent heats, no problems. We were diligent in keeping her away from intact males while she was in heat, so no opps litters.

Then she got pyometra and the surgery and recovery was hard on her. She was seven years at the time and was very sick. The guilt I felt and the worry I had was enough to change my mind about spays. Yes, let them develop. But don't put it off like I did. Once they hit two years? Unless you have competitive requirements to keep them intact? Spay.
Sheilah
Right there with you. Shadow is 9. I watch her like a hawk now. It was never my intention to keep her intact and now I have finally found a vet willing to put her under I need to weigh the age risk. It's horrible, I'm between a rock and a hard place. Though not as panicky as I was when there was no vet within a 2 hour drive except on Wednesday.
Next one is getting done at 2, no question.

·
Registered
236 Posts
We waited 2 heat cycles for Zoda. She was about 16 months old when we had her spayed. I didn't weight because she was fully grown to standard size. She also has sensory processing disorder. Not sure on her lineage, but I think her family tree is a wreath. If circumstances were different, I would have waited. I just didn't want to risk further polluting the gene pool. She did great with it. She has had no problems and is a healthy...mostly happy....2 and a half year old.

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
Not sure on her lineage, but I think her family tree is a wreath
You just made me spit water!
I call Shadow my little genetic nightmare, but I like your description better. So I am stealing it!
Our dogs may be related. Lol.
But she's cute, so I'll probably keep her.

·
Super Moderator
5,628 Posts
I spayed Carly at 6 because I was afraid of pyo. I threaten to spay Scarlet all the time, but, you know, show dog, so no spay. She’ll be 4 in August. I honestly think I’m done showing her. Maybe. She should’ve been finished by now, but circumstances stopped me from showing her very much. I’m torn. Once spayed, no more showing. She’ll never be bred, no matter if she gets her championship or not.

If I had a pet versus show dog, I’d probably spay at 3.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts