German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of you my pros! You know this breed. I am new...
Shadow is 16 months. My breeder told me to wait between 24 and 30 months old to have her spayed. That she would get her full growth specially the head and shoulders.
Is this true? What did you do?
Thank you
A lost mommy!!!!

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
My previous dog was intact her entire life, my current dog is intact, she's 3 1/2.
Is there a reason for not waiting?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Honestly? The hype! We do not want puppies. But Shadow is never alone anywhere. My husband watches her like a hawk...and she works so hard! She is my service dog.
People seem to be staying their dogs very young: for me I am asking advice mainly because it is major surgery...it scares me.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Thank you for starting this thread Shadow's Mommy!
Our dogs are roughly the same age, Josie is currently in her 2nd heat cycle and I've been wondering about when to have her spayed. Very concerned about unwanted pregnancy, especially since she wandered off our property and was gone for about 10 minutes yesterday.
I am planning to speak to the vet about OSS. In this case I wouldn't think one has to wait til after 2 years old since the ability to produce reproductive hormones remains intact.
Are you opting for traditional vs non traditional spay?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Traditional. I was going to call tomorrow but now I am putting it off .....I hate to make a bad decision. I need more advice and to read about it more. Until I am fully certain. Once you speak to your vet would you mind sharing? I am very interested!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thank you for starting this thread Shadow's Mommy!
Our dogs are roughly the same age, Josie is currently in her 2nd heat cycle and I've been wondering about when to have her spayed. Very concerned about unwanted pregnancy, especially since she wandered off our property and was gone for about 10 minutes yesterday.
I am planning to speak to the vet about OSS. In this case I wouldn't think one has to wait til after 2 years old since the ability to produce reproductive hormones remains intact.
Are you opting for traditional vs non traditional spay?
Please what is OSS?

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Fosters that I had were spayed prior to leaving me regardless if they were 10 weeks or ten years.
My personal dogs. Lex was spayed at 12 months, she was kind of leggy as an adult. Sabi was spayed at 3.5 years, she was built like a tank. Shadow is 9.5 and still intact.
If you cannot prevent puppies then have her spayed now. In general it's best to wait until growth and development are finished, including mental development but keep in mind that their are life threatening risks involved with keeping them intact all their lives.
And did you say this is your service dog? Not to pry but does that mean she accompanies you in public?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Shadow does accompany me in public. She had a special diaper during her first heat. That for me is no issue as it blends in with her vest.
She is in training still. I have found that when in heat? She was a little distracted but not that much more...

·
Super Moderator
7,021 Posts
I believe in giving service dogs, including (especially) those in training a break during their heat cycles. 3 weeks is not going to be detrimental to their training... it can be a highly stressful time for them, physically and mentally, resulting in odd behaviors and/or reactions that they typically wouldn’t display... they can be less reliable (task dependent) which in some cases can be dangerous, they’re vulnerable to harassment from other dogs (not to mention a disturbance to other service dogs that may be working in close proximity) and in some situations can be considered unsanitary, even with the diaper. I don’t know if the ada specifically spells it out, but it’d think it could fall under general grooming/hygiene standards.

anyway... not to derail the thread, just some ethical housekeeping and things to consider ;) As far as when to spay... personally, I tend to agree with breeder in waiting til age two (IF you can manage her heats), especially if this dog is to be used for any sort of mobility aid as it will ensure proper muscle/structural development. As far as her head size and other secondary sex characteristics... that’s a male thing.

it’s been a billion years since I’ve had to look into having a personal dog of mine spayed... but from the bit of knowledge I have of some of the more modern techniques available - I’d probably opt for a lap spay... it’s much less invasive and will have her back on her feet in a matter of days vs weeks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you so much for all the replies! It is helping me greatly to make an informed decision. And at this time we will wait.
I wish it would be so simple as giving Shadow a break...She is my chemo partner. Which means she travels with me across the border , and helps me with all kinds of tasks. We try to avoid her heat period, but Shadow does not have an off button. Doing her work is playtime for her🤭. She gets extremely upset to be left behind...
Thank again!!!

·
Registered
9,919 Posts
Deja is 6 years old and was spayed last month. I was planning on keeping her intact but she developed a mammary tumor that had to be removed. I decided to have her spayed to curb the estrogen that might be feeding new ones. For a few years I went back and forth and now I am happy it was done.

·
Super Moderator
32,252 Posts
Cava turned 2 in early January, and I've been trying to get her spayed ever since, lol. I had an appointment for a laparoscopic spay with a gastropexy and OFA x-rays scheduled for the middle of February but she went into heat at the end of January so I had to reschedule.

Then TWICE after that, the doctor was not going to be there on the rescheduled date, so I had to reschedule both of those appointments.

And then the pandemic happened and all non-essential surgeries were cancelled, and here we are, lol. She could go into heat as early as the end of next month so it's possible I won't make it this time either and will have to wait a couple more months. It was 7 months between heat one and two and 5 months between heat two and three so it's a wild guess on the next one - sometime between the end of June and end of August. Her heats aren't a big deal at all, but I really want the pexy and the OFAs done as soon as possible and it's a lot less expensive to put her under once and get everything done at the same time.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Traditional. I was going to call tomorrow but now I am putting it off .....I hate to make a bad decision. I need more advice and to read about it more. Until I am fully certain. Once you speak to your vet would you mind sharing? I am very interested!
Sure! I was planning to have the procedure done 3 months after her cycle ends so might set up an appointment to talk to the vet in a month. We have to travel quite a distance for that visit since our regular vet does not perform OSS.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Shadow does accompany me in public. She had a special diaper during her first heat. That for me is no issue as it blends in with her vest.
She is in training still. I have found that when in heat? She was a little distracted but not that much more...
I think this is a major public perception issue and I wouldn't do it. One of the most basic rules for a sd to be allowed in public with its partner is that it is housebroken.

How are staff or the general public going to understand why your dog is wearing a diaper?

And what'a the difference anyway? She is having bodily functions come out of her. She should not be working in public.

If I was raising/training a female for this I'd do something else with her during that time, get her thru maybe 1 heat then spay.

2 heats maybe. If you really need this dog to work with you in public and she has had one heat already my vote is spay now. The last thing SDs need is one more public perception problem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
At this point I will simply take away my alerts on this post as my questions was about donating my dog, not about any concerns or judgement on her being a SD, the way we ( my team) and I decide when she should work or not. I feel disrespected and judged. Thank you for all the positive comments and interactions. As for the rest, I will simply ignore ignorance.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts