German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted awhile back when my puppy was confirmed to have giardia. Vet did a 5 day run of metro and panacur, then wanted a break but no progress so another 5 days of each. Everything looked great with stool. Fast forward 4 days and soft stool again. This time 10 day metro and 5 day panacur, then 5 days off panacur and another 5 day run.

He is eating, drinking and playing as he should. Gaining weight as he should. Eating Fromm, taking a pre and probiotic (digest all). I have read and have seen goldenseal root powder and oregon grape root work well to get rid of giardia? Thinking if this round of meds doesn't work to try that route. Anyone every used those with success or without?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
412 Posts
When you say soft poo, what do you mean? Some dogs just have soft stools especially with some foods. My 4-year-old had soft squishy poops for a whole year until I switched her from Diamond to Victor food, now it's much firmer.

Her poops were soft, but still formed; left a big residue when removed. I guess if your puppy's poops form a puddle, yeah that's probably not good.

Sorry, that's all I got.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I would stay away from Metro...as it kills the good bacteria in the gut, which leads to more diarrhea. I think 5 days of Panacur just isn't enough and would recommend 7 to 10 days. Giardia is stubborn. In the meantime, mix in canned pumpkin with his dog food. If you want to save money on Panacur, buy Safeguard (goat dewormer) at the Tractor Supply Store....it is the same stuff (fenbendazole) and you can buy a couple weeks worth for ~$30. If you choose this route speak with your vet about dosages, etc.

Posted awhile back when my puppy was confirmed to have giardia. Vet did a 5 day run of metro and panacur, then wanted a break but no progress so another 5 days of each. Everything looked great with stool. Fast forward 4 days and soft stool again. This time 10 day metro and 5 day panacur, then 5 days off panacur and another 5 day run.

He is eating, drinking and playing as he should. Gaining weight as he should. Eating Fromm, taking a pre and probiotic (digest all). I have read and have seen goldenseal root powder and oregon grape root work well to get rid of giardia? Thinking if this round of meds doesn't work to try that route. Anyone every used those with success or without?

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
One of my GSDs was a rescue that I got around four months. He was in sort of rough shape when I adopted him and had to spend a couple days at ER vets office hooked to an IV because of his diarrhea/dehydration from giardia and coccidia.

His health returned and we eventually managed to get normal fecal test results, but the pudding poop lasted for months. Our vet said his intestinal tract was just so sensitive and inflamed from all that time that he was sick. The loose stools did eventually resolve to something that could actually be picked up in a poo bag, but never became solid like my other dogs.

I'd usually do chicken/rice whenever the diarrhea was at its worst. Also pumpkin and Perfect Form by The Honest Kitchen most every day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts