German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
FWIW, This pudding poop and loss of weight phase lasted about 6 weeks for my pup. It seems he was going through a muscle-building phase between 8 and 9 months that used a lot of calories. His midsection and hips are the same sizes. His sternum is still pretty bony. But, the diameter of his neck increased by a full inch and his shoulders filled out a bit.

He is back to his lanky self :)

·
Super Moderator
4,726 Posts
My big-boy was stuck at a lanky 70 ish pounds until he turned 2 1/2 -3. Now he is a lean 90 lbs. Feeding has stayed the same. The only thing that changed was his age. Now that he is 6 I want to make sure he doesn't gain more weight.

·
Super Moderator
2,501 Posts
Vertex (dry supplement) is pretty popular with GSD people. I started adding it to my young male’s food, he burns a crazy amount of calories just being himself (and growing a big head lol). He’s been on it for about a month and I do think it helps put a little bit more meat on his frame.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I may try giving him a little vertex. Even if to just replace a little of the extra food I've been giving.

·
Registered
463 Posts
My male was thin at that age too. You could always give him some 80/20 ground beef. So long as it isn't a huge portion of his diet it shouldn't throw things off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 16 month GSD male who is currently eating 5-6 cups a day of diamond naturals lamb and rice puppy food. He seems to still be just as skinny as before and he's been tested for everything under the sun, EPI, parasites, SIBO, giardia, salmonella, etc. All his lab values and exams came back perfectly normal. Has anyone else experienced this? Any tips? Is it just a phase maybe? View attachment 559605 View attachment 559606
We brought home the runt of litter at 8 weeks and 7 lbs. Our breeder recommended goat milk and browned ground turkey. He is almost 5 months and over 50 lbs. now his average weight gain was 4 lbs a week. We also give him a NuVet supplement. He is strong and healthy. We are just now weaning him off 3 meals a day to 2.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 16 month GSD male who is currently eating 5-6 cups a day of diamond naturals lamb and rice puppy food. He seems to still be just as skinny as before and he's been tested for everything under the sun, EPI, parasites, SIBO, giardia, salmonella, etc. All his lab values and exams came back perfectly normal. Has anyone else experienced this? Any tips? Is it just a phase maybe? View attachment 559605 View attachment 559606
My Jett was a skinny! boy till he was neutered at 7 yrs old. Then he gained 10 lbs in about 2 weeks. Definitely take him off lamb. Found out GSD don’t digest lamb well because of the fat content, and if anyone is giving their GSD tidbits of extra fat, BEWARE IT iS NOT GOOD. They can have fragile pancreatic issues. My current GSD(my 3rd) is recovering from a bout of pancreatitis and will be tested for EPI tomorrow.
Thorne Research Gastriplex has pulled this dog through. He will only have good omega fats from now on.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts