German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 16 month GSD male who is currently eating 5-6 cups a day of diamond naturals lamb and rice puppy food. He seems to still be just as skinny as before and he's been tested for everything under the sun, EPI, parasites, SIBO, giardia, salmonella, etc. All his lab values and exams came back perfectly normal. Has anyone else experienced this? Any tips? Is it just a phase maybe?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Very normal. You wouldn't believe how skinny my dog was before he was 2 years old. They will fill up in time. As long as he's not malnourished, healthy and not lethargic, he'll be fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's definitely not malnourished. He's eating 2,052 calories a day. But I can still see his hips, shoulder blades, and each rib VERY easily and it's terrifying to me honestly.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
On a side note... Dry food doesn't help if you think your dog is underweight. I started to feed my dog (mixed with his dry food): wet food, full fat yoghurt and a raw egg once a day. It agrees with my dog and he's filled up nicely now that he's almost 3

·
Registered
337 Posts
My pup looked similar to yours.... Thin but not emaciated. I mixed up a batch of 'satin balls.' (you can google for them) Pup gets two per day. Every other day I give him about 2 tablespoons of peanut butter in a small rubber toy. That worked for my pup.

I am trying calories dense kibble, but I have to change pup's diet pretty slowly so I can't say for certain how those experiments will work.

This is odd for me, all of my previous labs and lab mixes had 'cast iron' stomachs. They would, and could, eat anything that moved slower than them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried switching him to kinetic performance dog food very slowly but he keeps having diarrhea with it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Yes, that is my problem as well. So for now, I am focusing on supplements like 'satin balls' until I can find a kibble pup can handle without getting pudding poop.

·
Super Moderator
5,628 Posts
My GSDs have always been thin like that when they were young. They always fill out eventually. I wouldn’t be in a rush to put weight on a young dog.

·
Super Moderator
5,628 Posts
Anyone want to jump in here?

You can always switch him to a food that has more calories per cup. Fromms has a lamb food called Zealambder Recipe that has 386 kcal/cup which is more calories than Diamond Naturals Lamb and Rice Large Breed Puppy, which has 342 kcal/cup.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
My boy Remi was like that. Try Dr. Tim's Momentum. I was feeding my boy 6-7 cups of his other food, he had soft stool as a result of the volume of food. Switched to momentum, reduced food, got more calories and started to look less skinny, but he was always skinny anyway. I tend to like the leaner dogs. After being on Momentum, for a while, he started to get lose stool. At this point he had gained enough weight and I was ok switching him again.
See post 43 here for a picture of his skinny days Remi baby pics to present
Here is another.... Remi at 3.5 years old

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
@dogfaeries is correct. All my dogs looked thin until they stopped growing.
I do not like chunky dogs and since hers are in the ring being examined by judges I would surmise that they are a healthy weight.
If you are feeding a low calorie food your dog is filling up on waste that it cannot actually use. That means his body is actually using energy to process waste.
The food I feed is 494 kcal/cup. My current girl eats 2.5 cups per day, as a pup she ate 3. She is small but my big guy got 3-3.5 as an adult.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you guys for your posts. I'm already in the process of switching foods. I tried kinetic because it's about 440/cup but his stomach didn't agree with it (idk if it was the chicken protein or what). His stools just got back to consistently being normal so he's ready to try a new food again when I choose the next option. I understand the healthy lean look and that's what I strive for as well, just not being able to see the bones quite so easily.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Thank you guys for your posts. I'm already in the process of switching foods. I tried kinetic because it's about 440/cup but his stomach didn't agree with it (idk if it was the chicken protein or what). His stools just got back to consistently being normal so he's ready to try a new food again when I choose the next option. I understand the healthy lean look and that's what I strive for as well, just not being able to see the bones quite so easily.
Overfeeding is the most common cause of loose stools. Just so you know.

·
Super Moderator
5,628 Posts
I think it was last year (or maybe the year before) that I took Scarlet to Tractor supply to get some Nexgard. The vet tech said "oh, she's so skinny!". I said no she's not, every shepherd you see is fat (I was kind of annoyed). She looked kind of shocked, and then the vet came over and said "oh look what a nice waist, and yes, all the shepherds we see are fat". FYI, Scarlet was about 24" tall and weighed 65 lbs at the time.

I wish I had a dollar for every time I was told my GSDs were skinny. One lady asked me when Carly was a gangly teenager, if she was wormy, lol. OMG. Why yes, yes she is wormy! I never take my $1500 SHOW DOG to the vet.. Seriously all the GSDs around here are as wide as a coffee table.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Haha yeah that's kind of my deal. I have always been careful not to make him too heavy because I agree lean is good. I guess that's the point of this post really. I just want to make sure that something isn't wrong or that this is normal. He weighs right at 76lbs right now and the pictures I posted were taken a few days ago.

·
Super Moderator
6,971 Posts
I think it was last year (or maybe the year before) that I took Scarlet to Tractor supply to get some Nexgard. The vet tech said "oh, she's so skinny!". I said no she's not, every shepherd you see is fat (I was kind of annoyed). She looked kind of shocked, and then the vet came over and said "oh look what a nice waist, and yes, all the shepherds we see are fat". FYI, Scarlet was about 24" tall and weighed 65 lbs at the time.

I wish I had a dollar for every time I was told my GSDs were skinny. One lady asked me when Carly was a gangly teenager, if she was wormy, lol. OMG. Why yes, yes she is wormy! I never take my $1500 SHOW DOG to the vet.. Seriously all the GSDs around here are as wide as a coffee table.
If only camera phones were a thing back in 2000... I was donated a bag of food once, left near the fence of my building, with a note: “to the young woman with the black shepherd, she’s much too thin, I hope this helps”
I wish I’d saved the note.
Venice, CA... I think she thought we were homeless 😬

1 - 20 of 29 Posts