German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! If you read my previous post I was asking about where a german shepherd should sleep; inside or outside. My dad wanted it to be outside and outside only. I got seven websites saying inside (including my own post) AND got an email response from a worker from the rescue we wanted to foster from and she said inside! Yet, he still says outside only. So, I can't get a GSD. I promise though, when I turn 18 I am getting a German Shepherd and I will show her off on this very website!:) Well, anyway, my dad didn't want a GSD inside because he said it was too big, and is an outside dog. So, are there any dog breeds that are smaller than GSD's (just not small, not like a toy poodle or anything, just smaller than a GSD), and has like similar personality. I was thinking of an australian shepherd, or something. I want something that is generally thought of as an inside dog also. So to sum it up: smaller than a GSD, similar personality to GSD, inside dog(typically). Thanks! :):):hug::crazy::laugh::smirk::blush:

·
Registered
19,157 Posts

·
Banned
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cardigan corgi. according to the members on a corgi forum, the cardigan has a temperament and personality that is closer to that of the GSD than the Pembroke corgi.

Gocorgi.com

I'm a member there as well but haven't been on in a couple years. Well except today to see if I could hunt down the thread for you lol
I was going to mention this in the post... I do not like corgis... and that is too small for me. I mentioned around an australian shepherd.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I'm not a fan of the Pembroke corgis. Sweet dogs but not my cup of tea. As for Aussies, they tend to have a lot of energy. I'd say probably more than a GSD. every Aussie i'd worked with was HIGH energy and was difficult to train as a result of lack of sufficient exercise. Just keep that in mind. if your dad thinks a GSD is too big to have in the house, what makes you think he'll view an Aussie any differently? They're smaller than a GSD but still on the larger side.

Why don't you try talking to you dad about breeds he would allow in the house?

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Australian Shepherds or Aussies are high energy dogs, I've met some really awesome ones and do like the breed but they're not for me. Also the merles are highly prized so breeding for them by BYB's is common and has major consequences on the health of the breed as a whole.

I would do a LOT of research before considering them and be honest with whatever breed or rescue you choose and make sure they match you with the right dog.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Australian Shepherds!!

I wouldn't say they are a lot like German Shepherds BUT they are awesome dogs, do make good watch dogs and great companions. They are smart, fun, athletic and just a joy to be with. Many on the forum have aussies and say they make good compliments to their GSDs too (me being one of them).

Look for a small standard if you go for an Aussie. (I wouldn't go for the mini-aussies, btw, I've seen a few and they just aren't the same IMO)

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Actually Black Tri's and Red Tri's have become as popular as the merles.

Some are high energy but ours is middle of the road. She's more mellow then my GSDs were at the same age. Like GSDs individuals vary.

They also tend to have less energy then border collies......

Australian Shepherds or Aussies are high energy dogs, I've met some really awesome ones and do like the breed but they're not for me. Also the merles are highly prized so breeding for them by BYB's is common and has major consequences on the health of the breed as a whole.

I would do a LOT of research before considering them and be honest with whatever breed or rescue you choose and make sure they match you with the right dog.

·
Banned
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Some are high energy but ours is middle of the road. She's more mellow then my GSDs were at the same age. Like GSDs individuals vary.

What are merles, black tris and red tris...?? I am sorry I am new

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
What do you mean... small standard? But not mini?
some people are breeding aussies that are ridiculously small, sort of like dwarf gsds. They were suggesting that you stay within standard of the breed and try to find parents that are on the smaller side of the range where aussies should be.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts

I love the black tri's and the merles. Never been a fan of the red in any dog really.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I am so lost... What is a merle, black tri, and red tri..???

It's the coloration on the dog.... Just like GSD's come on various colors and coat pattens, so do Aussies and several other breeds

Merle Aussie

Black tri
http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=v-f-nE8iEB0fRM&tbnid=c-HuuQ8t-B9raM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.123rf.com%2Fphoto_6940844_black-tri-australian-shepherd-posing.html&ei=ovTmUePaDvTF4AOGsoCYBg&bvm=bv.49405654,d.dmg&psig=AFQjCNH9GVT81XjPHpdnztZGGB_LYksouQ&ust=1374176796920516
**oversized photo removed by ADMIN. Photos must be no larger than 800X600**

red tri

·
Banned
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright I am going for a small standard, merle australian shepherd!!! Thanks guys!:wild::wub::eek::blush::crazy::laugh::shocked:

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Stay within breed standard but look for a breeder that tends to breed or has dogs to the smaller side of the breed standard. I mention that since you said size is an issue.

Some breeders are breeding what they call a 'mini-aussie' which is a dog that is smaller then the breed standard. This usually means you'll end up with dog that may have inbreeding and/or not have the temperament and physical sturdiness. They are stock dogs that were developed to work out west on ranches with not just sheep but cattle too. Tough, smart and hardy medium sized dogs.

Also, look for a breeder the same way you would with a GSD breeder. A good Aussie breeder will be actively competing with and/or trialing their dogs in agility, herding or other work.

I love, love, love our little Aussie. She's been a real joy and a breeze to train too. She does need exercise and activity to keep her smart little aussie mind occupied though!

What do you mean... small standard? But not mini?

·
Banned
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Stay within breed standard but look for a breeder that tends to breed or has dogs to the smaller side of the breed standard. I mention that since you said size is an issue.

Some breeders are breeding what they call a 'mini-aussie' which is a dog that is smaller then the breed standard. This usually means you'll end up with dog that may have inbreeding and/or not have the temperament and physical sturdiness. They are stock dogs that were developed to work out west on ranches with not just sheep but cattle too. Tough, smart and hardy medium sized dogs.

Also, look for a breeder the same way you would with a GSD breeder. A good Aussie breeder will be actively competing with and/or trialing their dogs in agility, herding or other work.

I love, love, love our little Aussie. She's been a real joy and a breeze to train too. She does need exercise and activity to keep her smart little aussie mind occupied though!
Thanks so much! I think I have made my decision! But, even if I get an aussie, it does have the word "shepherd" in it... so I am still gonna count her as a GSD and post her all over the forums! :) ;)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Autumn is a black tri we did not have her tail docked so people sometimes think she's a mini Bernese Mountain dog!

LOL!!

:wild: that's funny!

·
Registered
9,727 Posts
To me nothing compares to a good GSD. If you have your heart set on a GSD I would not get another breed but rather wait until you can have one. When you get the second choice you will always be looking and yearning for the GSD.
This is how it worked here. I start with a pup, so small size, and everyone got used to him while he is growing up. He is now 17 months old and a few days ago hubby remarked that WD actually turned into a large dog. But he already has place in his heart so no worries here.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts