German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i cant find a bed anywhere for Jaxx, there is never a bed big enough! there is only sizes for labs or tiny dogs, not 75 pound GSDs that aren't close to being done growing! Im in Texas, so if you know of any good dog stores here or anywhere that I can get I dog bed, let me know please!
thanks!
(by the way... I've looked at Costco, Walmart, Tuesday morning, Sams club, and petsmart.)

·
Registered
308 Posts
How about online? I got a ridiculously expensive but awesome bed for my greyhound from Orvis - here's a link: Orthopedic Dog Beds / Super-Absorbent Bolster Dog Bed with Memory Foam -- Orvis

The medium is plenty big enough, I wouldn't get the large even with their weight recommendations - it's huge. The cover washes really well, it's easy to put back together, and I bet it would be the only bed you'd need, like ever, which makes the insane price a little more reasonable. I used it for 4 years, and I passed it on to a friend's WGSD with DM, and it improved his life, literally. They've had it for over two years, still looks new and hasn't worn at all. No, I don't work for Orvis! I was really impressed with this bed, though!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How about online? I got a ridiculously expensive but awesome bed for my greyhound from Orvis - here's a link: Orthopedic Dog Beds / Super-Absorbent Bolster Dog Bed with Memory Foam -- Orvis

The medium is plenty big enough, I wouldn't get the large even with their weight recommendations - it's huge. The cover washes really well, it's easy to put back together, and I bet it would be the only bed you'd need, like ever, which makes the insane price a little more reasonable. I used it for 4 years, and I passed it on to a friend's WGSD with DM, and it improved his life, literally. They've had it for over two years, still looks new and hasn't worn at all. No, I don't work for Orvis! I was really impressed with this bed, though!
Yeah I haven't thought of looking online!
Have you ever had dogs try and rip up a bed? Jaxx doesn't try and rip up this bean bag thing ( I have it for him until I buy a bed ) And I would rather not spend money on a bed just to have him chew it up. I'll look into that bed, it sounds like it might work.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
308 Posts
No. I've been lucky with that, it's been a long time since I had a dog tear up a bed, but I got something tough and chewproof from LLBean that did work, I can't remember exactly which one. It's one thing to chew up a $25 pad from PetSmart, and another thing to essentially eat a car payment, right?! The fabric on the Orvis bed was tough, though - my greyhound was a digger and scratched the heck out of my sofa cushions, but this bed wasn't damaged.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I was coming in here to suggest the new framed sleeping bag cots that are showing up nowadays and lo-and-behold someone read my mind. I like the elevated aspect, lets air flow underneath and helps mitigate hotspots. The backpacking variety is much less "burly" in that it rolls up, likely not as sturdy. I was hoping for a more open cell surface, like 1/16th inch web material, really let that air flow. With minor mods the above bed type could be made to cool or heat. Add a skirt to the frame and toss a heating pad under it or place it on top of an A/C vent.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I like these beds, they come in very large sizes and you can get them in orthopedic foam options also:
Mammmoth Dog Beds For Large Dogs - Vet Recommended
I'm planning to get one of these next time I have a senior dog.

I was going to order one from there but then I saw a local pet store could order beds from Bessie and Barnie, a company which lets you totally customize the fabrics/colors on both sides, the edges and trim. So I got one of those instead: http://www.dogologie.com/bessie-and-barnie-rectangle-bed-large-custom/

I also have a cot type bed but my GSD would not use it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
You could make one? I made one for a friend for their Great Dane. Just went to the craft store and bought stuffing and foam, and a comfy fabric! I know how expensive dog beds can be, this way you can customize the size and style. Also much cheaper =)

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
We had bought one of the orthopedic bed toppers for Cody and Clipper, the human bed kind! You can buy a cover for it, then I used their blankets over that.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I got mine at costco. Riley is 75 pounds and still growing. The round one he hangs off of, but they had a larger rectangle bed that is working well for him. At least for now. :)

I also love the idea of using a crib or toddler mattress. That may be our next bed when he outgrows his new rectangle bed.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You could make one? I made one for a friend for their Great Dane. Just went to the craft store and bought stuffing and foam, and a comfy fabric! I know how expensive dog beds can be, this way you can customize the size and style. Also much cheaper =)
That's a great idea..... I'll look into that, I love making things anyways!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
1. Costco (great prices in the store, better than online, for the big round beds that are perfect for a large dog)

2. Tuesday Morning (they had some very nice large beds there today for around $30)

3. New tip I just heard: buy a baby crib mattress at a thrift store or garage sale, and a few sets of linens that fit it. The linens are easily washable, and the mattress is big enough for a large dog -- and supposedly holds up a lot better than a dog bed!

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I ordered 4 beds from Drs Foster and Smith. Imagine my surprise when I got them...they are HUGE. Two full grown GSD's fit comfortably. I could only find room to put two up. I have one at the foot of my bed and it goes clear across and I have a king size bed. I think they were like $79.99

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/images/attach/jpg.gif

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
my parents ordered my 45 lb 7 month old the largest round llbean dog bed and its enormous. two full sized gsd's can fit easily.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a huge one 42" long from Sams club that I got one Christmas for my old GSD Dobber. He never laid on it. My GSD mix and Angel lay on it all the time to the point its worn out. Haven't found another one that size but I'm hoping as we get closer to Christmas, Sam's club will restock them. They list it on their website as only sold in stores but none of the stores near me in SE Houston have it in stock right now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts