German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Male is 11 years old (November)
Female 4 years old.

Our male has understandably been slowing down in his elder years and is actually starting to have slight issue with back legs (spine) so the inevitable is coming...

So we have decided to add a puppy to the pack... to keep the tradition going ...

hopefully it will be 3 dogs for a while....

We actually have an appointment with a local breeder tomorrow to view the facility/talk /see dogs... etc etc.

give deposit for Dec. litter.

Problem is:

I (we) can't decide Male or female pup....

Our male is the dom. but she is quite dominant herself when around other dogs....

I've heard warnings about 2 males... urination/aggression..

then heard similar about 2 females...

My gut says get another Male .... since there is such an age difference... and also when there is only 2 left, It will be male/female ....

that combo seems to work great right now... And I'm pretty confident we can train all dogs to be civil and nip any aggression.... male or female

anyway,
Any advice is welcome ... or share your experience..

10:30 am appointment sunday morn. :surprise:

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Yep, I’d go with male! Your female will be around the new pup much longer than the older male, and bitch/bitch aggression is nasty. I’ve heard of male on male aggression less, or that males fight and it’s over whereas females only stop when one is dead. In all my friends that have same sex pairs, only the ones that have two females have had issues, BUT others will come along with the opposite experience. Anyway, go with your gut.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
I am one with a long history of the opposite experience. Males can be quite nasty in a fight and they do NOT forget it. They will fight at every chance they get once they have begun to fight. Alternatively, I have had females get along famously, and so has everyone I have known with multiple females. It wasn't until I came to this forum that I ever heard of female/female aggression.

With that said, I keep my oldest female separate from the one next in age. The oldest one started two spats when they were younger. I thought it was same sex aggression because of what I have heard on here. As time passed and I observed my oldest female, I suspect the true reason for her aggression is she HATES another dog being boisterous in her face. I have seen this in her with other females and have been able to correct her out of it. I still keep her and the other female separated as the other female is a harder, more dominant dog and I just won't trust it. With that said, there were a few oops moments when the two females wound up together but there was only an eyeing of each other but nothing more before I got them separated again. Both of these females do peacefully coexist with other females.

I do need to mention that I have a male that is so overly possessive he will attack the females over things such as my holding my cell phone in my hand and they were nasty fights. Getting a male will not ensure tranquility with your female.

My vote is to go with another male but I would caution that doing so will not necessarily guarantee harmony.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Male for sure. 1)You already have the male / female mix and it works. 2) female / female is a known much higher risk of conflict or confrontation. 3) Males can be more chill and low maintenance, easier to introduce to an existing situation.

·
Registered
11,629 Posts
I'd go for a male pup since the pup will grow up with a female. You probably have to protect your old guy from puppy antics anyway. If the old guy lives long enough, the new up can start to challenge him because he has the advantage f being young and strong. So that would require management so the old man can get enough rest.

·
Registered
32,286 Posts
I think you would be better off with a male. Don't be too certain you can nip female-female aggression. It happens sometimes, but when it does it can be fatal. And, they can get along like two peas in a pod for 18 months, 22 months, you never know. They get along until they don't. And if you aren't right there and willing to get yourself in a battle of life and death between two bitches, that could be the end of one or both of your bitches.

I LOVE bitches, but they can be patient and wait for an opportunity, they can blow up in an instant, they can be very interesting critters. I do have bitches together. Hepsi is in with Kaiah, with an age difference of over 7 years. Bear and Tinny, difference 7+ years and mother/daughter. I let Cujo2 and Uzzi play with Kaiah and Hepsi in a group, but only when I am there. If they do fight, it can mean the end of letting them together, because females don't forget, whereas males they kind of are over it when they are over it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all.

We reserved choice of a male puppy for December.... mama is ready to pop very soon... could be tonight.

So we are looking at Christmas take home...

Very impressed with Bev over at Von Den Brookfields.

She knows her stuff and has a great kennel and dogs.

·
Registered
607 Posts
That's so exciting! We also brought home a puppy with an elderly dog in the house, the perfect puppy came and we jumped. I was worried about puppy antics at first but they are like ships passing at sea. The middle dog gets 99% of the puppy attention.

I saw two potential litters, which breeding are you getting out of Von den Brookfields?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Should I be concerned with an a2 hip rating?

Dam:
Epona vom Petworld Team
IPO1 KKL1
AKC, FCI
Hips a2 (good) Elbows a1 (excellent)
DM Clear

SIRE
M'BENNO VOM WOLPERTINGER WALD

SG1, VP1
IPO1
AKC, BSV
Hips a1 (excellent) Elbows a1 (excellent)​
DM Clear​

·
Registered
543 Posts
Sweet doggies you have there! I'd go with getting a male pup. But do make sure the youngster doesn't pester your older dog. We had a household with 3 old dogs and a pup then 2 old dogs, 1 young dog and 1 pup recently. We had to keep dogs separated a lot to make it far to the oldsters. Now we are down to 2 dogs. A 3 1/2 yo female GSD and a 1 1/2 yo male GSD.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Should I be concerned with an a2 hip rating?

Dam:
Epona vom Petworld Team
IPO1 KKL1
AKC, FCI
Hips a2 (good) Elbows a1 (excellent)
DM Clear

SIRE
M'BENNO VOM WOLPERTINGER WALD

SG1, VP1
IPO1
AKC, BSV
Hips a1 (excellent) Elbows a1 (excellent)​
DM Clear​
I was just trying to figure out how to ask that without sounding bad. I’m not sure if you should be concerned. But with the breeders I was searching through, I don't remember seeing any a2 breedings. Other members than me would know a lot more but I would question and possibly ask for hip ratings of the dams progeny or siblings, if possible.

·
Registered
10,908 Posts
Sweet doggies you have there! I'd go with getting a male pup. But do make sure the youngster doesn't pester your older dog.
THIS.
Rolf is an energy ball, and poor Hans is now almost a senior, so he does NOT appreciate the young’un constantly trying to launch at him and lick his face. Poor little guy wants to play, but Hans is older and cranky and keeps showing teeth. He is Ok with the little one as long as he knows that he’s safe, so he will go to Rolf and wag his tail if Rolf is crated or penned.

For now, I keep Rolf on a leash when Hans is around.

·
Registered
16,222 Posts
1, Who is available that meets your criteria as far as temperment goes?
2. Which pups are most accepting of other dogs of either sex

I've had male/female pairs, I've had female/female pairs. I tried a young male with my older male - he would not have it!

So what I'm thinking is part of it is availability of what you want of the dog outside of the sex, then it's going to come down to the individual dogs.

What I found adding another dog to a two dog household is that it changed the dynamics between the "old tenants." Personally, I felt that my oldest dog was getting a bit neglected as the younger dog was quite engaged with the new dog (who was probably middle aged.) I've passed up a couple of nice opportunities to add a third dog to the current duo because of that experience.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Dogs like people are individuals, but I would go for an opposite gender combo if possible. When I got my third dog, my first GSD, obviously one would have to be the same gender as one of my other dogs and I opted for a male. I used to prefer females but after having my Dobe I fell in love with his goofy, boy dog antics that only they seem to have. Plus I like that they are bigger and beefier, just a personal preference. I do adore my female to pieces, but she is more independent while my boys are more attention seeking. They get along famously and mostly ignore my old girl, they have each other to wrestle and play with. They have a two year difference.

·
Registered
712 Posts
After paying closer attention, I’ve realized that your potential pup and my own have some similar lineage. Mines sire is pure German show line and his grand sire is Renzo Vom Wolpertinger Wald. If you’re interested to compare this is his pedigree:

5 generation long pedigree for Rio De Dinero

However mines dam side is working. I will say he is a wonderful dog, my first GSD, and I couldn’t ask for more. If I could clone him I would and have him forever.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts