German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came across this thing called the Cannyco collar. It's supposed to fit around the dogs and work much the same way reigns for a horse do (no bit in the mouth though).

Has anyone used one? What are your thoughts on this? My vet does like the ones on the market that go around the head and crank the dogs head to the side. But this one works differently- pressure applied on the nose to stop pulling directly from behind. No jerking motions (like corrections with a prong).

I use a prong now. Ruby is still pulling. OY!

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
I've never seen one, only did a quick Google search on it and... my humble opinion... another gizmo on the market to try to replace real training.

It will work as much or as less as the ability of the handler to teach.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Re: Canny Collar anyone?

It looks similiar to the other head collars (though I guess it's different) so probably works.

I have a friends who's puppy is driving her nuts with pulling and had similiar issues with neck problems with such a young dog pulling, and is reluctant to get a prong. She has found the Easy Walk (by Gentle Leader)

No Pull harness to be ideal for her.

·
The Italian One
8,729 Posts
Originally Posted By: RubySlippersI No jerking motions (like corrections with a prong).

I use a prong now. Ruby is still pulling. OY!
Not to change the subject but I think if your using "jerking motions" with the prong collar you possibly are not using this collar correctly. Have you worked with a trainer to make sure the prong collar is fitted correctly and to show you how to use it properly?

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
by jerking motions, I meant "corrections" when required. I did have some doubts on whether is was fitted correctly (the prong) and checked with our trainer. He confirmed with was a good fit but that I was wimp.
what I mean was, that was I push over. That I felt bad correcting her, so I did half hearted and she could sense that so she ultimately knows she'll win. I was told i need to learn to give her sharp precise corrections or none at all. I can see how this will make sense. It's still a work in progress for us.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Isn't this just like the gentle leader?

I have a Sense-ation front clip harness for Rafi. But I do agree that training them not to pull works best. I like the tree method myself. I hate doing corrections with any collar.

·
The Italian One
8,729 Posts
With a prong, fitted properly, you should only have to use a gentle tug on the leash to make a correction. You don’t use a snap or jerking motion when using a prong to correct the dog. Even a wimp can do that very easily. You don’t put a lot of power into using this type of collar.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hmmm- it was a least 3 months ago last time we checked the prong collar perhaps I should check the fit again. From what you are saying I think it may be too big.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Originally Posted By: BowWowMeowIsn't this just like the gentle leader?
The canny collar is different b/c the leash attaches at the back, not the side or under the chin.

I don't really like head collars b/c I'm uncomfortable with a large dog unintentionally having his head jerked around. The canny is probably the only head halter I'd consider b/c of how it's designed. I prefer an Easy Walk or a prong.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
I have 3 canny collars, one for each dog. I do not use it on my dogs but I insist my dog walker uses it. She gets good control with it and there is no wrenching of the neck if it is pulled too hard. If you want to use a halter type collar this is the one I would use.

When I walk them I use prongs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts