German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone. My 8 year old lady is having some problems that I would really appreciate some opinions on.

She went to the vet about 4 weeks ago when the vet did not find a problem after a fecal examination and a post-medicinal follow-up fecal exmination and general health check-up.

However, our Vet did prescribe two medications-Metronidazole and Aminopentamide. When both medications ran out her mostly yellow stools did not solidify, so we started boiled chicken and rice after 24 hours of fasting. This was administered 6 times a day for a total of 1,400 calories per day. We have since added FortiFlora (1x daily) to the recipe of which she has been on for about 2 weeks. This did result in more formed stools, but still too soft to dismiss and diarrhea still far too common. Her stools are normal at 1-2x daily. Currently she is 75% chicken and rice and 25% dog food.

To further complicate the matter I found worm eggs in her stool, so she was de-wormed about 4 days ago, which resolved the white spots/eggs in her stools as of yesterday.

Her demeanor seems slumped slightly, but she still seems to be in good spirits overall with her frisbee, walks, morning greetings (sometimes her energy varies here-maybe age).

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Look up EPI and have her tested for that. Enzyme Diane has affordable enzymes if needed.

Reactions: Beacon

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the replies. We have went to a new dog food trying to improve her entire diet since this started, so she is now on Blue (25%) and Chicken Rice (75%).

Edit: Along with the daily Fortiflora.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Thank you both for the replies. We have went to a new dog food trying to improve her entire diet since this started, so she is now on Blue (25%) and Chicken Rice (75%).

Edit: Along with the daily Fortiflora.
Hi Beacon,
I was asking about the timing and the previous food you were using when this started and continued.

I'm wondering/curious if you, by chance, had a "bad" bag of food causing the diarrhea.

You didn't mention your exact chicken/rice recipe, but the rice should be regular white rice (not Minuet Rice), and cooked for a longer period of time with double the amount of water (this makes it more digestible).
The chicken breast, without skin, should be boiled and rinsed several times, before mixing with the rice.

Two other things you can try for loose stool or diarrhea:
-Add 1 to 2 Tablespoons of PLAIN (without spices) canned pumpkin.
-Get some Slippery Elm capsules from your health food store and give her 1 or 2 an hour before feeding. This coats and calms the stomach and gut.

I would choose a higher quality ProBiotic/Digestive Enzyme. Here are some examples:

Gut Sense GutSense® - Certified Organic Probiotic for Dogs - Dr. Dobias Natural Healing

Digest All Plus: Digest-All Plus

Sunday Sundae https://feedsentials.com/sundaysundae (click on the email to order)

Mercola Digestive/Probiotic: Whole Food Digestive Probiotic for Pets (94g per Container): 1 Container - Mercola eCommerce

Animal Essentials: Plant Enzyme w/Probiotics 300 gm

Best of luck and keep us posted!
:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, I missed that...she was on cheap Wal-mart food for years and never a problem. When this problem started we went 100% chicken and rice for several days and then started introducing the Blue dog food in small portions (25%) with the chicken and rice (75%). We have not went 50/50 on Blue-Chicken & Rice. We ended up tossing that cheap bag of food we were using when this started, but I suppose it is possible the food was bad.

Thanks so much for the time and suggestions! I will certainly try to integrate some of these things as we move on from here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally got a good stool- sure sounds odd, but.... She weighs 79 lbs (our couch potato) and is of average height indicating it wouldn't hurt her to lose a few pounds, so we cut calories to around 350 per day for 2 days. First we did another 24 hour period of fasting. After fasting, her 2 meals each day were preceded by 3 tbsp of pumpkin puree followed by 100% chicken and rice.

I was a bit more meticulous with chicken preparation than I had been.

Hoping her morning walk-guaranteed stool sample-tomorrow goes as well. 🤞 :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
HI Beacon! My dog was diagnosed with IBD. I feed her with RC gastrointestinal and boiled chicken. after a few weeks, I got a nice stool. Maybe she has the same issue:(

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ohh I almost forgot I used b12 vitamin to promote better digestion and absorption of nutrients. I hope this helps someone looking for this topic. I did help me a lot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input Kimberly. We continue to make slow progress with rice and chicken and limited dog food (Blue) at this point. I might try a bag of that RC you mentioned as this dog food really sets her off in a bad way.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Get her off the Blue. I actually had a puppy returned after a month straight on Blue with constant diarrhea. She was in such bad shape I opted for a 24 hr fast and a hard switch. She was fine after that.
I have never had a dog do well on that food.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Agree with Sabis mom.

Something in Blue is causing your dog upset.

You need to get your girl back on to food with correct nutrients, as she should not be on chicken & rice for a long period of time.

The Honest Kitchen Dehydrated, 100% Human Food, has helped MANY dogs on this forum. I would choose one of the Limited varieties. HOPE: Dehydrated - Limited Ingredient Beef Recipe (Hope)

Ingredients
Dehydrated beef, dried chickpeas, dehydrated sweet potatoes, dehydrated parsnips, dehydrated celery, dried parsley, vitamins/minerals.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts