German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's have some fun and put together 10 steps or ten tests that a dog owner should master/adhere to be a Canine-Owner Good Citizen.

Only let's leave spay/neuter out of this so that breeders can be good citizens too. So it does not become a spay/neuter thread.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Sounds like fun :)

Personally I think one of the biggest things that needs to be done is training

Whether you do it at home or with a professional, training is a important key to helping your dog have a happy life. If the dog is never trained it has a very hard time fitting into human society

Edit: I was just thinking you would want a more specific answer. How about obedience training? Is that better?

·
Registered
30,390 Posts
1) Train your dog
2) Clean up your own dog crap
3) Don't assume everyone wants to be your dog's friend
4) Be aware of where your dog is when walking in public
5) Respect your dog and their ability to love you unconditionally

·
Registered
31,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmmmm.

Let's see,

Test 1: Meet and Greet: understand that everyone in the world does not like PutsyPoo as much as you do, make sure his paws stay on the ground, and make sure love-nibbles happen only to people who own him.

Test 2: May I pet your dog: Understand that while everyone should ask to pet your dog, some small children, larger children, and adult persons might not bother to ask, if you do not train your dog not to bite people, train yourself to step between people and your dog.

Test 3: Appearance and grooming: Hmmmm. Brush the dog out before going on a walk. (I would flunk this because I will sit on the park bench and pick hair tufts off my shedding dogs.)

Test 4: Call your dog: If your dog is on a long leash or loose and you see a person or person with a dog approaching, call your dog and keep a hold of your dog. Just because Fido is friendly does not mean that everyone knows or trusts that that is the case.

Test 5: STAY: Keep the dog contained and under control. Don't let him roam off of your property, run in front of cars, chew on your neighbor, or his wife, or his manservant, or his maid servant, or his ox, or his ass or his dog or anything that is your neighbors.

Test 6: Reaction to Distractions: Pay attention to your dog when you are out and about. If a small child runs out of nowhere, or someone comes up with a small dog, pay attention.

Test 7: Reaction to Another Dog: Understand that just because your dog is well socialized and friendly, it does not mean everyone else's dog is at that level. Always ask before letting your dog meet and greet.

Test 8: Walking on a loose lead: Understand that when you have a death grip on your dog, your dog is likely to believe that the sky is falling or the little bitty kid is a alien monster there to eat everyone. Try not to over-react.

Test 9: Being considerate to others: pick up after your pooch. I really don't want to see it, smell it, or step on it.

Test 10: Separation: When people are afraid of your dog, give them some space. Your dog does not have to be loved by everyone. If they are at your home, it won't kill your dog to be crated or kenneled if someone is seriously uncomfortable.

I am sure others can do a lot better with ten items a good dog owner does to keep dog-public relations positive.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Keep your self and your home clean. Some people are sensitive to the smell of dogs.

Keep your yard clean. Your neighbors don't want to smell your dogs waste.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Keep your dog out of the personal space of other people and other dogs when out and about in the community. I am really tired of having rude, off-leash dogs run up on me and my dog. There is almost invariably some clueless owner at some distance, yelling that "He just wants to say HI".

Respect a 10 foot bubble of personal space.
Sheilah

1 - 8 of 8 Posts