German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am looking for a Canine Liability insurance for my 6yr old GSD. Unfortunately, he bit a stranger in the yard last year which lead to a claim and our Home Owners Insurance dropped us. Most of the new HOI quotes we are getting do not include Canine, so I am looking for coverage for him in a Canine Liability insurance. I am looking for recommendations, it would be a great help if someone can point me to companies that do that in Illinois.
Thanks for everyone in advance !!

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
You're smart to keep the dog insured! I know a lady whose HO policy didn't cover her dog due to a breed restriction, and the dog bit the neighbor -- and the neighbor gave her a choice of paying him $25,000 or put the dog down. It was an awful situation. She chose to hire a lawyer, go through litigation, and eventually settle but not put the dog down.

Have you checked with a local insurance agent? My recollection is that canine liability policies are "surplus lines" which means they're "non-admitted" carriers who sell policies outside of the "normal" insurance market and not part of the pre-approved list of companies and policies authorized to by state regulators ("admitted carriers")-- @kr16 would probably be able to clarify that. Making sure the carrier is well-rated is pretty important with surplus lines coverage, as they're outside a lot of insurance regulation in the state (which is very common for specialty/niche products that "admitted carriers" don't want to sell because the risk is too high). You've got to read the policies and research the companies carefully. I think there's only a handful of insurers writing these policies nationwide. An agent would probably have an idea as to which is best -- but there's a list of them on this blog: https://www.insuranceblogbychris.com/umbrella-insurance/dog-liability/

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're smart to keep the dog insured! I know a lady whose HO policy didn't cover her dog due to a breed restriction, and the dog bit the neighbor -- and the neighbor gave her a choice of paying him $25,000 or put the dog down. It was an awful situation. She chose to hire a lawyer, go through litigation, and eventually settle but not put the dog down.

Have you checked with a local insurance agent? My recollection is that canine liability policies are "surplus lines" which means they're "non-admitted" carriers who sell policies outside of the "normal" insurance market and not part of the pre-approved list of companies and policies authorized to by state regulators ("admitted carriers")-- @kr16 would probably be able to clarify that. Making sure the carrier is well-rated is pretty important with surplus lines coverage, as they're outside a lot of insurance regulation in the state (which is very common for specialty/niche products that "admitted carriers" don't want to sell because the risk is too high). You've got to read the policies and research the companies carefully. I think there's only a handful of insurers writing these policies nationwide. An agent would probably have an idea as to which is best -- but there's a list of them on this blog: https://www.insuranceblogbychris.com/umbrella-insurance/dog-liability/
Thank you Magwat for the link and for explaining the "surplus lines" policies. I had no idea this was the case for Canine Liability. Yes we are working with a couple of local insurance agencies, hopefully something good comes up, but now that you pointed this out, I will have to read up and be wise in choosing the company.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts