German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
This is my new forum and I mostly will be discussing canine chiropractic.
I am the author of The Well Adjusted Dog--Canine Chiropractic Methods YOU Can Do. So feel free to ask my anything.

Best regards,

Daniel Kamen, D.C.
www.vetrolaser.com

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You can download a great chiropractic technique that is used by veterinarians and chiropractors worldwide that is used to prevent hip dysplasia. First, the move is detailed on a free link on the bottom of www.vetrolaser.com. The link is free and it really details the adjustment which you can do. Next, a short video demonstration of that sequence is on www.vetrolaser.com then click 'news and announcements' then video clip number 4. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Dr. Daniel Kamen, D.C.
Certified Animal Chiropractor

·
Registered
270 Posts
Can we ask general Chiropractic questions here?

·
Registered
270 Posts
I've tried Chiropractic adjustments with my dogs before, as we work in Schutzhund and there is quite a bit of impact and jarring the dogs go through on a daily basis.

What has been frustrating for me, is finding a Chiro to treat the dogs. I can find several, but every one is different in what they do, and some of them just plain see like quacks. Sometimes I see a big difference when I leave, and sometime they never touch the dog at all but claim they have adjusted him. ??

Anyways, how to you suggest someone find a QUALIFIED person to work on their dogs? Is there a National organization for K9 Chiropractic work, or is it just something DCs do on the side?

Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've tried Chiropractic adjustments with my dogs before, as we work in Schutzhund and there is quite a bit of impact and jarring the dogs go through on a daily basis.

What has been frustrating for me, is finding a Chiro to treat the dogs. I can find several, but every one is different in what they do, and some of them just plain see like quacks. Sometimes I see a big difference when I leave, and sometime they never touch the dog at all but claim they have adjusted him. ??

Anyways, how to you suggest someone find a QUALIFIED person to work on their dogs? Is there a National organization for K9 Chiropractic work, or is it just something DCs do on the side?

Thanks.
Hello Michelle,

To find a qualifed, certified animal chiropractor in your state visit the American Veterinary Chiropractic Assoiciations' website which is www.animalchiropractic.org Then click 'referrals' and scroll down to find your state. They also list their current certified animal chiropractors by country. Best of luck.
Dr. Kamen

·
Registered
32,563 Posts
What if the chiropractor you've been referred to by a friend is not listed? Does that mean they are NOT certified?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What if the chiropractor you've been referred to by a friend is not listed? Does that mean they are NOT certified?
No, it doesn't necessarily mean that. Directly ask the chiropractor specifically where he/she received training and if they're certified by the AVCA or a similar program. A similar program is from the Parker College of Chiropractic in Dallas, TX.
Dr. Kamen

·
Registered
270 Posts
Can you tell us more about your book? How much, realistically, can the average layperson or pet owner do in regards to this field? How helpful is this to the pet owner vs the owner of sport dogs? (Agility, lure coursing, etc)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can you tell us more about your book? How much, realistically, can the average layperson or pet owner do in regards to this field? How helpful is this to the pet owner vs the owner of sport dogs? (Agility, lure coursing, etc)
"The Well Adjusted Dog" is a step by step "how to" book teaching you hotw to perform various canine chiropractic procedures. While it does explain exactly how to adjust your dog, a lot depends on your background. The lay person can get quite a lot out of it but may only feel comfortable doing only the non-osseous moves, which means not doing the moves requiring loading the joint then providing a manual thrust. Veterinarians, in fact, prefer to use non-manual adjusting methods like the Activator. Most vets who practice chiropractic on small animals use the Activator or tools like it. It is safe and very effective for many musculo-skeletal conditions.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And how helpful is it for hip dysplasia?
The chiropractor procedure known as Activator is very helpful in preventing canine hip dysplasia, but not curing it once it has already been diagnosed in the lameness stage. For advanced stages of hip dysplasia the only real help is veteirnary intervention--the various surgeries seem to offer the most hope. But veterinary chiropractors have had and continue to have great success preventing a full blown onset if caught during the developmental stages.
I posted a good explanation of how it's done in a download on the bottom of www.vetrolaser.com Scroll down the opening page and you'll see the download. Also, to view the technique, go to vetrolaser.com then click News and Announcements on the left, then click video clip number 4.

Dr. Kamen

·
Registered
388 Posts
Wow, thanks Dr. Kamen. Welcome to the site. Initially, I rolled my eyes when I saw a section built for sponsors, like talking with a commercial a little, but I decided to look into the forum because I get so much enjoyment out of the site I wanted to support some sponsors.
I have a dog with moderate weakness in his hind quarters. He has been diagnosed with hip dysplasia, but recent X-rays don't appear to show any further degeneration than two years ago, yet his hindquarters are definitely weaker.
Are there any techniques you recommend that I could perform on a daily basis to perhaps help Bear with this? I know he's getting older, but I'd like to alleviate as much of this as possible, and frankly our vet doesn't seem to believe anything could help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow, thanks Dr. Kamen. Welcome to the site. Initially, I rolled my eyes when I saw a section built for sponsors, like talking with a commercial a little, but I decided to look into the forum because I get so much enjoyment out of the site I wanted to support some sponsors.
I have a dog with moderate weakness in his hind quarters. He has been diagnosed with hip dysplasia, but recent X-rays don't appear to show any further degeneration than two years ago, yet his hindquarters are definitely weaker.
Are there any techniques you recommend that I could perform on a daily basis to perhaps help Bear with this? I know he's getting older, but I'd like to alleviate as much of this as possible, and frankly our vet doesn't seem to believe anything could help.
You can try the Activator technique on a regular basis or a soft tissue adjustment called Logan Baisc. That involves raising your dog's tail and placing your thumb at "12:00" (a point above the anus), pushing up with about a pound of pressure or until you see an abdominal reaction. Hold the point for 3 minutes once per day. This re-educates weak sphincter and abdominal and pelvis muscles.
d kamen

1 - 16 of 16 Posts