German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read somewhere that the big "change" was supposed to happen in June.

Does anyone know if they are changing bags immediately, or if the new formula will be in the old bags for a while like most other brands do?

Has anyone gotten the new stuff for sure? Does it look the same as the old stuff?

The reason I ask is I have a "pudding pooper". It would be nice if I knew it was "left over" from the Anitbiotics she was on, OR if it is the food. (She should have been "back to normal" by now as it has been a week since she finished her meds.)

The date on my newest bag is June 19th. It is the "OLD" bag with the same ingredient list as the "old formula".

I will probably call Canidae tomorrow, just thought I would ask here today to see if anyone knows.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I bought my new formula bag on June 29th. Lamb and Rice, returned it last week. Looks and smells different. You can tell just by looking at the food it changed. Didn't go over well here.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Our current bag which I bought mid-June is still the old formula. When I went to the feed store on Saturday, I checked out the bags of Canidae and they are all the new formula ones.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, I called Canidae this morning and was told that the new formula ALS is in a NEW bag. So you will be able to tell immediately that you are getting the new formula. Rather than them putting the "new" stuff in the "old" bags.

She also said that they DID put some of the new formula Lamb and Rice in the Old bags in the beginning a few months ago, but there was a sticker on the bag to let peple know that it contained the new formula.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
im not sure its all that noticeable as far as the "new" bags. thet almost look the same, but they have a shiny finish to them, whereas the old bags were just plain paper.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally Posted By: roxy84im not sure its all that noticeable as far as the "new" bags. thet almost look the same, but they have a shiny finish to them, whereas the old bags were just plain paper.

I don't know since I obviously haven't seen the new bags yet. But the woman on the phone said there is a very noticeable difference.

The old bags I have are "shiney".

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Originally Posted By: BlackGSDI read somewhere that the big "change" was supposed to happen in June.

Does anyone know if they are changing bags immediately, or if the new formula will be in the old bags for a while like most other brands do?

Has anyone gotten the new stuff for sure? Does it look the same as the old stuff?

The reason I ask is I have a "pudding pooper". It would be nice if I knew it was "left over" from the Anitbiotics she was on, OR if it is the food. (She should have been "back to normal" by now as it has been a week since she finished her meds.)

The date on my newest bag is June 19th. It is the "OLD" bag with the same ingredient list as the "old formula".

I will probably call Canidae tomorrow, just thought I would ask here today to see if anyone knows.
I spoke with a represtative in the CA office a couple of weeks ago. The Canidae Lamb and Rice formula was indeed changed and sold without any marking on the bags. They have since added some type of red seal letting consumers know it is a new formula. My daughter feeds this and all her dogs got the runs for awhile.

As for ALS, I was told the new formula would not be ready "until next month" which would have been some time in July. I was told the ALS bags with the new formula would be marked I was also told the new ALS kibble would be lighter in color as it is being cooked longer at lower temps and would have more meat, fruit and veggies. The whole change is suppose to be to increase the quality of the product not to cut costs.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I am so confused...I haven't kept up with the board for the past few months so I just found out about the Canidae change today. This is what my dogs eat, however, I just picked up a new bag last week and I noticed nothing on any of the formulas...My guys eat the ALS formula and the bag looks exactly the same as any other bag I've bought in the past year or two. So now I'm wondering...Has the formula changed and the company chosen to use the same packaging and not print any sort of notification whatsoever on the bag? That's definitely not cool in my opinion. Or, has there been some delay with the formula change and the food on the shelves now is still the same original formula?

Also, would somebody mind just quickly summing up the news on the change for me? I am concerned since, as I said, this is what I feed. Anybody know what prompted the change? Is the new formula expected to be of lesser quality? I've noticed a lot of people who used to feed Canidae are looking to switch to other foods and I'm wondering why...

Thanks in advance...Looks like I've missed a lot! I'm glad to be back though!

-Jackie

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you read all of the first page, you will see what the Canidae rep I talked to told me.

As far as a "delay" in the change, there is not. They are now making the new formula. How fast or slow it shows up where you buy it depends on how fast they sell it and how fast their distributer goes thru it.

Here is a link to the Canidae site where you can read what they have to say about the changes.

Canidae info.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Tracy,

Thank you for that link. It answered a lot of my questions.

I did read all of this thread before posting and I read what the rep. told you...This is part of why I was confused...Since all the info I've seen seems to allude to the changes having happened already, I was just wondering if the packaging will indeed be changed like the rep told you, or if it will remain the same, as shown on their website.

Also, there's one more thing that still confuses me...I just read the info provided by Canidae on the link that Tracy gave...Of course I realize that being from the company themselves, all the info on their site is going to be positive regarding the formula change...However, as i said, I have already seen posts from people who are looking for a new food because they used to feed Canidae and no longer want to after the change. Why is this? Now that I've read all the "positive" info on the change from Canidae, I would appreciate if someone could fill me in on the negatives, and/or the reasons people are now steering away from it.

I hope that all makes sense! It's late after all!

-Jackie

1 - 15 of 15 Posts