German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could anyone out there who has something positive to say about Canidae ALS please reply to this post? I need some reassurance right now. :)I switched my 14-week old over to Canidae about 2 weeks ago, very slowly, and he has done very well on it. He was on Eukanuba large breed puppy, and was itching constantly. The itching on Canidae is almost non-existent now, his energy and growth are great, and the only negative I would point out is that he still has one "pudding" poop per day. The rest are formed, but nothing like the dark brown Eukanuba poops. I would tend to think it could take a lot longer than 2 weeks for his poops to adjust; he has never had anything, liquid, bloody or otherwise alarming. I'm more annoyed with it being not-so-easy to pick up in the yard more than anything else.I am feeding him a total of three cups per day in three separate feedings.I realize that feeding choices are very subjective and what works for one dog may not work for another dog even if they are the same breed, age, etc. I would just like to hear from some fellow owners who have used Canidae ALS and have something good to say about it, so I don't second-guess myself after reading negative comments about it.Thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I've never used it before...but I am considering switching my GSD over to the Salmon grain free Canidae. When my dog was a puppy...she always had soft poop...borderline diarrhea on and off. Someone asked me what I was feeding and I told them at that time I was feeding Blue Buffalo Chicken and Rice puppy food. They suggested I try a non-chicken formula and see if that helped with her poop. So I switched her to the BB Salmon. Diarrhea/soft poop went away almost immediately. Not sure what the main ingredient is in the Canidae ALS...you might want to consider that as a problem for her soft poop.

Good luck!

·
Registered
877 Posts
I know you only want positive feedback here, and I'll try and stay positive by saying that I think Canidae is indeed a good product and would recommend it to anyone feeding adult dogs.

However, for a growing large breed pup, I would be very very cautious of feeding it! Even though it is MARKETED as an ALS, it most certainly is not. The max calcium and phosphorus level are much too high (being 2% and 1.3% respectively). You should be aiming to keep it under 1.5 cal, 1 phos.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Canidae is a good food and I would happily feed it to an adult dog, but not to a growing puppy. Sorry. :(

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, everyone. I came to this forum to benefit from all of your knowledge, and unfortunately the few comments here have reinforced my fears that this was NOT the right food for my pup, so I am starting a switchover today to a different brand that many owners here seem to heartily approve of. I appreciate all of your comments! I am normally not so insecure and gullible, but since I was already second-guessing my choice to feed Canidae, I am glad that I received guidance here.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Thanks, everyone. I came to this forum to benefit from all of your knowledge, and unfortunately the few comments here have reinforced my fears that this was NOT the right food for my pup, so I am starting a switchover today to a different brand that many owners here seem to heartily approve of. I appreciate all of your comments! I am normally not so insecure and gullible, but since I was already second-guessing my choice to feed Canidae, I am glad that I received guidance here.
Why? The poster was wrong about calcium level it is 1.2%

Don't listen to people on here.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
quality wise, id say canidae is a quality food, especially the canidae grain free. it would still be a good food to try once your pup is done growing.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I feed Canidae ALS to all three of my dogs. I, too, had terrible itching with all three dogs when I was feeding Iams and Eukanuba (which is odd; because I used to feed it all the time with no issues until the started the "probiotic" formulas..then it all went to heck!). I only wish Canidae would create the same food in smaller size kibbles: my sheltie struggles sometimes with the size of the pieces. They also get canned food as a treat on top of the dry once or twice per week, and they like PetTabs Vitamins as treats. They are doing great!

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Why? The poster was wrong about calcium level it is 1.2%

Don't listen to people on here.
People come for advice, whether they listen or not is their choice.

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
I just switched Rocky to this and so far so good. I have found a store to buy this formula where it is less per lb than alot of the cr*p foods. OP may want to re consider this food when the pup gets older as others have said. All dogs react differently to different foods and ingredients.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Seems to me that some times when people ask for advice or want to know more information on certain dog foods, some people come on the threads and are disrespectful to others. I personally think its great that there is so much really good advice/information and help on here. And then to see a comment like the above made, just makes me wonder how the OP feels when they read them.

I also understand some people feel very strongly about what they feed their dogs. I feel that way as well...but I would never say something negative about someone because they either can't afford to feed certain dog foods, do not have enough information about certain dog foods, or just want to learn more. I always thought these types of forums were here to help and educate others...not to belittle them or make them feel that they are not welcome here for asking questions and advice.

Just my opinion. I know I have received so much useful information on here regarding health, food, training, etc. I do enjoy coming on here daily and reading about everyone's dogs, etc. But it bothers me to see comments that are really uncalled for at times.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
We fed this food for many years and were very happy with it. We switched over to raw a couple of years ago, around the time of Canidae's formula change. Our dogs did fine on the new formula, but the combination of lower quality ingredients plus higher prices and smaller bags, did sort of provide the final push to move everyone to raw. As I said we had no problems with it though and were quite pleased with the results we saw (and we have quite a few dogs making for a good number of test subjects). I still consider it one of the better kibbles out there.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I used to feed it as well, no real complaints, just switched b/c I could get a better quality at the same or lower price.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
I fed the Canidae chicken and rice to my boys as puppies, because the calcium levels were lower than other formulations.
Now I feed the chicken/rice or the lamb/rice. Dogs love it and do well.
I rarely feed the ALS.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Canidae ALS +++

IMMHO three whole cups daily is way to much. We have had great results with this food. I did a fair amount of research before choosing it. One of our dogs has Lupus. No symptoms and a great improvement in his coat too. Our other one gains weight easily. His weight has stabilized. Once the food bin was left open the one dog pigged out--> result --> bad poops. Our supplier has left the business, Pet Supplies plus is over-priced, we are looking for a better source. The comment about the kibble size confuses me...I find this kibble to be quite small. The only thing possibly better would be the raw diet.. Good luck with your pup.

Happy training!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Could anyone out there who has something positive to say about Canidae ALS please reply to this post? I need some reassurance right now. :)I switched my 14-week old over to Canidae about 2 weeks ago, very slowly, and he has done very well on it. He was on Eukanuba large breed puppy, and was itching constantly. The itching on Canidae is almost non-existent now, his energy and growth are great, and the only negative I would point out is that he still has one "pudding" poop per day. The rest are formed, but nothing like the dark brown Eukanuba poops. I would tend to think it could take a lot longer than 2 weeks for his poops to adjust; he has never had anything, liquid, bloody or otherwise alarming. I'm more annoyed with it being not-so-easy to pick up in the yard more than anything else.I am feeding him a total of three cups per day in three separate feedings.I realize that feeding choices are very subjective and what works for one dog may not work for another dog even if they are the same breed, age, etc. I would just like to hear from some fellow owners who have used Canidae ALS and have something good to say about it, so I don't second-guess myself after reading negative comments about it.Thanks in advance! :)

FINALLY!!!! I can contribute MY knowledge and experience to this forum!! (I learn so much here it’s nice to give back!) :)

I have used Canidae ALS for about 7 months now.

I HAVE NO COMPLAINTS! I would note he’s been eating about 5 cups per day, but he’s very active.

My 1.5 yr old GSD does great on it. His coat is soft, no allergies, no issues, very high energy and he eats it up fast!!

I do like Canidae because it does have a high cal per cup, compared to other dog food and it does list a meat as the first ingredient.

No issues from this dog lover.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts