German Shepherds Forum banner

101 - 120 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Very sorry for your loss LoveSea. I'm sure Rocky was a great friend. My ould pal jasper, a Rhodesian/lab cross passed away due to hemangiosarcoma in November also. Very very tough time, hard to accept as we only realised it was cancer when his spleen ruptured. Your reply struck a chord with me, when you said you still get choked up when you talk about it. I understand, I do the same when I remember that night I had to go through it.
I'm sure all of us with dogs who have been taken due to cancer understand the upset and confusion when it happens. Great memories of such a loyal friend though always cheers me up!
We've since had 14 week old gsd Max! He's definitely keeping us on our toes hehe! Congratulations on your new additions and I wish you all the best with your beauties! Love niamh and max

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Thank you so much for your reply & understanding. I am so sorry about your dog jasper. It is never easy. I am happy that you opened your home again to another dog. I am so glad that Max is making you happy. We adopted Misty so fast after Rocky passed & she did help us to heal.

I am crying again right now, though, especially reading back to my first post. How our life has changed. Our beautiful 18 year old cat died of old age one week after we lost Rocky. It was just a horrible month of May. I just cannot believe how much I miss my old guy & cat. They were so attached to my children - especially Rocky. He lived for them & I hope to find that again. Today, I was looking through photos for my daughter's 8th grade yearbook - we have to submit some photos - of course I had to add Rocky & our cat. I came across a photo of the last, long day of his life. I stayed home from work to be with him because he was scared & could not walk well. I had to make the call to have him put down. It was the longest day I ever remember. At 5:00, after my husband came home from work, we had to put him into the car to take him to the vet. Before that I took a photo of him. Of course he was in my son's room. I took a photo of my son next to him. In that photo I saw the heartbreak & complete sadness in my son's eyes & Rocky's eyes too. It was truly a "boy & his dog" relationship. He loved my daughter too, but my son was always moving, so Rocky attached & bonded the moment he was left at our home.

My tears also come from my question: Will our new dog measure up? Is that horrible to ask? We are finally getting him the weekend of the 25th. We were away last weekend, so did not want to adopt a dog & then go away. My husband works this entire weekend & the rescue needs everyone home, so the next available weekend is January 25th. We met him at the kennel on January 5th. It seems so long ago, I forgot what he looks like. I know I felt a melting in my heart immediately when I met him. My kids loved him. He did not know how to chase a ball though....also did not go crazy over my kids, but I know that he had been through a lot in the past weeks. He had part of his tail amputated & was recovering & on meds, they also had to separate from his female friend & he left a home to live in a kennel. I know an adopted dog's personalities change as time goes on. I don't want to compare him to Rocky & I know I cannot replace him. I am just hoping that this dog will love us, especially the kids. Sorry for the long reply. Thanks again for your kind words.

·
Registered
408 Posts
My Raven (will be 8 yo on June 30) has just been diagnosed with osteosarcoma of the jaw and will be undergoing surgery on Thursday. Her veterinary dentist predicts a 75% chance of full recovery post surgery, but I am upping those odds by also treating her holistically with immune boosting herbs and the Budwig diet. Has anyone else ever used this diet? There are many testimonials about its success on humans and animals alike. My position is that it can't hurt her and it just might help. Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I've lost 2 dogs to cancer and have 1 currently.
Niko- died at 7 years from hemangiosarcoma.
Honey- suspected brain tumor, died at 13 years.
Bahstun- diagnosed a few months ago, nerve sheath tumor

·
Registered
10 Posts
Good Evening, I was just wondering if anyone's german shepherd has ever had a "lump" on the bottom of his foot. It doesn't move around, but does feel a little soft. He lets you touch it, but he's also began to lick it quite a bit......I'm planning on taking him to the vet to get it checked out, but was just curious if anyone has seen this. Also, his best friend, was put down a couple of weeks ago, and he seems really depressed, lonely, and a little agitated. Just need some advice for my sweet fella.....thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Haven't had a lump on the foot with our dogs, vet check best idea.when Cody passed, Clipper, his litter mate really missed him. Cody was 11 yrs 8 mos when he passed. they were best buddies. Clipper didn't seem to know what to do quite a bit as Cody was the leader. We had a little pack status quips with our other dog, but I kept Clipper as the leader and they adjusted. I just loved on them and got the pleasure of knowing Clipper in a different way after Cody passed. Cody was my heart dog, so in some ways I think it was ment for Cody to go first so Clipper could have his time as leader and to bond with him in a special way. We grieved for Cody together. Clipper passed 9 months after Cody. Thru Cody's illness, It also was a teaching in better helping Clipper thru his and what to expect. Loving your buddy is the most advice I have. Peace to you.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm sorry I hadn't seen this thread before posting "Chemotherapy: 7 weeks in." My boy Jager has lymphoma and is trooping along in his treatment. His happiness and strength otherwise make it easy to forget he's sick. He's our everything and I know inevitably, I will feel peace knowing that I loved him with my all at every minute before and after cancer.

I am a news anchor and reporter and a couple weeks ago, our animal segment host asked me to bring Jager on to help people understand cancer in dogs a little better. Here's his TV star moment ;)

Video: What to do if your pet has cancer | WISH-TV

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good morning, My name is Michael. I hope all is going in a pos. direction for you. If you lost the battle, I'm so, so sorry. My girl Tucela is 6yrs. and diagnosed with stage 3 lymphoma. I would appreciate any insight, tips, etc. I'm unable to afford chemo. so I'm looking for alternatives, if any. Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Good morning, My name is Michael. I hope all is going in a pos. direction for you. If you lost the battle, I'm so, so sorry. My girl Tucela is 6yrs. and diagnosed with stage 3 lymphoma. I would appreciate any insight, tips, etc. I'm unable to afford chemo. so I'm looking for alternatives, if any. Thank you for your time.
I'm sorry your pup has this. Many of us here have lost young dogs to cancer.

Many years ago I had a Siberian Husky who at 7 was diagnosed with Lymphoma and like you I could not afford chemo. My vet prescribed what he referred to as "old chemo treatments" which was Prednisone and Tetracycline. I don't remember dosage but it did give us 9 more months of symptom free time with him.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just picked up something called Body sore and Di Gu Pi San for my GSD that has just been diagnosed with mast cell tumors. I do not want to start carving on her as she has other health problems that are as "quality affecting" as the cancer would be. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with these products? I know everyone is different in choosing how to treat their pup when faced with hard choices. I opted for surgery and treatment last year with a pup I had who had hemangiosarcoma and it turned out to be the wrong choice. That surgery was really hard on her and when she died a few weeks later from her spleen bleeding out I made a decision to not hit cancer aggressively again. My new dog is 9 years old and has lived a life of neglect. I have only had her a few months and I want to give her all the love she can absorb, the best food available, and the healthcare she has never had. Her health records only contained 2 vet receipts where she was under 3 months old. These receipts were from the puppy litter she was part of. I have given up on acupuncture aiding in her pain management and have just picked these two products up and hope that they can help her. She suffers greatly from hip dysplasia including elbow dysplasia with knees bad but not as bad. If anyone knows about these chinese holistic remedies please let me know? THANKS

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just about give up on this site as I feel like this is a closed group and I am not a member. I have seen other comments by people who feel the same way about this being closed. Thank you for all of your comments and help here NOT. Well I would rather not receive "assistance" that is unreliable and incorrect anyway. My vet seems to disagree with what info I have received here so I guess I am in the wrong place anyway. A lot of the dogs here do not even look like GSDs and I find it amusing that all these experts do not even own a GSD.
:confused:

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
ebliss
is your dog experiencing a problem?

you have to read and read and then read some more --

you have to be prepared for your own health future to be first proactive in prevention , and if that should fail , to be able to direct and be responsible for your care.

http://deainfo.nci.nih.gov/advisory/pcp/annualReports/pcp08-09rpt/PCP_Report_08-09_508.pdf

Reducing Environmental Cancer Risk What We Can Do Now

Please please take the time to look at this you tube
Science lecture https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoQYh0qPtz8

A phycists’ perspective on cancer – a new theory

I would recommend that your Vet has a look at these

Then there are many books - Beating Cancer with Nutrition by Quillin and

Anti Cancer A New Way of Life by Servan-Schreiber

Dr Shiv Chopra's Corrupt to the Core , which I have ordered --- Dr. Shiv Chopra on Corrupt to the Core

In an article in "Vitality" magazine he says both Health Canada and US FDA officials fail to enforce the Foods and Drugs Act in both of these jurisdictions on the behest of industry lobbies.
We allow practices in USA and Canada which are banned in Europe - We are in effect guinea pigs .

HOW SAFE IS OUR FOOD SUPPLY? | Vitality Magazine | Toronto Canada alternative health, natural medicine and green living

this fight requires teamwork , yourself or one you are caring for , medical team which includes western and eastern approach.

You need to have a good knowledge base just to be able to ask the right questions .

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
ebliss- Sorry you didn't get any responses on this thread before now. Honestly, I only look at the active topics most of the time, and never saw this thread pop up until now. This is an older thread, as well. Perhaps you would have better luck starting a new one of your own.

My pittie has mast cell tumors. Has for years now. We put her through five surgeries because she was so young when the first tumors appeared, we wanted to give her the best chance possible. Our veterinarian oncologist prescribed benadryl and cimetidine. Roxy eats a low carb diet (we're actually looking in to switching her all the way to a raw diet), no grains ever, no high starch foods... She is still getting tumors. We tried Palladia and Kinavet, neither of which I would do again, as they both made Roxy sick, but have shown some promise in some dogs. She also gets turmeric daily, as it has antioxidant/anti-cancer properties. I'm sorry, I do not know anything about the Chinese holistic remedies you mentioned.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Carmspak Thank you but it is a little too late for this girl. She is 9 yrs old and already diagnosed with MCT and severe hip, elbow dysplasia. Hoping for anything here that would benefit this girl.
I'm aware of the medical professionals admitting that chemo and radiation do little but bankrupt those who decide to prolong the suffering. I understand that prevention is the only tool we can use successfully in dealing with C. Food and environment with exercise is all we have in our arsenal against the killler. Prevention is the new focus among cancer professionals and I understand this. My pleas are for anyone's knowledge of those chinese herbs that MAY help Lexi's pain and retard the growth of the MCT. Just here looking for a good new "hope" that may sustain me further down this road....I do appreciate your attention

·
Registered
29 Posts
GypsyGhost thank you for your knowledge regarding Palladia because my vet was trying to sell me on this one. I do not believe that poison will help her so I am not going to do the chemo thing. She is getting benedryl 100mgsX 2 daily and famodadine 80mgsX2 daily. I asked my vet if I needed to change it to tagamet and she said that famodadine was what she needed to be on. The tumeric is what I would lilke to add but need a little more instruction on dosage. Lexi weighs 96 Lbs. She was on a diet because of her bad joints but because of all the meds she is on I've had to increase her food some. I have some Nutrigold Turmeric Curcumin Gold 95% Anti-inflammatory & Antioxidant. 95% Curcuminoids 50:1 extract. 500 Mgs
Is this something that may benefit Lexi?

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
I feel your care and concern for your dog .

"My pleas are for anyone's knowledge of those chinese herbs that MAY help Lexi's pain and retard the growth of the MCT. "

That's the whole point -- answers in the youtube lecture by the physicist .

OXYGEN , via deep greens such as chlorella , spirulina --
anti oxidants via full compound Vitamin C , ellagic acid and red raspberry seed powder from MEEKER raspberry , anti inflammatories , Vitamin E available in red palm oil , rice bran oil "Vitamin E (succinate): Many supplements include Vitamin E alpha-tocopheryl acetate, but we use Vitamin E succinate, the only form of Vitamin E that has been shown to inhibit the proliferation and promote apoptosis (natural cell death) of cancer cells. It also appears to decrease the toxicity of normal, non-cancerous cells. Vitamin E succinate helps cancer cells revert back to their normal state and induces cancer cell death. It is also more easily accumulated in cancer cells. "

Cat and Dog Immune Support Formula Details | All Natural Supplements ? Endurapet

mushrooms , green tea (matcha)

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
GypsyGhost thank you for your knowledge regarding Palladia because my vet was trying to sell me on this one. I do not believe that poison will help her so I am not going to do the chemo thing. She is getting benedryl 100mgsX 2 daily and famodadine 80mgsX2 daily. I asked my vet if I needed to change it to tagamet and she said that famodadine was what she needed to be on. The tumeric is what I would lilke to add but need a little more instruction on dosage. Lexi weighs 96 Lbs. She was on a diet because of her bad joints but because of all the meds she is on I've had to increase her food some. I have some Nutrigold Turmeric Curcumin Gold 95% Anti-inflammatory & Antioxidant. 95% Curcuminoids 50:1 extract. 500 Mgs
Is this something that may benefit Lexi?
Here's an article that talks about all of the health benefits of turmeric for dogs. It also give a suggested dosage at the end of the article. We use an organic powdered turmeric with 95% curcuminoids and give Roxy 3/4 tsp. twice daily mixed into her food. Roxy is 62 lbs. I discussed adding turmeric with our veterinary oncologist before adding the turmeric, and she gave me the go ahead.

I don't mean to steer anyone away from Palladia. It actually shrunk Roxy's tumors significantly . In fact, some of them even shriveled up and fell off! She tolerated Palladia well for about six months, but then it started making her sick, so we stopped. The tumors came back once we stopped the meds. The Kinavet did basically nothing for Roxy except mess up her liver values and make her vomit alot. She thankfully went back to normal once we stopped the Kinavet.

Whatever you choose, I hope it gives you more quality time with Lexi!

101 - 120 of 126 Posts