German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I'm really interested in the idea of the raw and/or BARF diet for the longterm health of my Alexis (she just turned 10 mo. old). However, like (I'm sure) many of you, I'm a little nervous about doing so.

Can you recommend a book, source, etc. that might guide me in "sticking my toe in the water" as opposed to doing a cannonball off the diving board?

Thank you,
Craig

·
Registered
5,392 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent! Thank you, Tracy.

Out of curiosity, can you give me an idea of what I might expect it to cost me to feed my female?

She's about 85 lbs. now (10 mo. old), and I don't think she'll get too much heavier. If it means anything, she seems like she's a pretty "light eater" (she'd much rather be playing than eating!).

Thank you,
Craig

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Cost is largely determined on how good a "bargain shopper" you are...or if you can find a bulk supplier.

The benchmark I try to stick to is a dollar a pound, averaged.

An adult GSD will eat about 2 pounds of food a day. Your girl may eat a bit less, but that will give you a rough idea of the cost. About 60 bucks a month.

Obviously, one can spend more---the pre-made raw brand foods are quite pricey---and exotic game meats, or high-end cuts of beef are, as you can imagine, exhorbitant. I don't buy those. My dogs thrive on a diet of cheap chicken, whole turkey, cheap cuts of pork, fresh whole mackerel and sardines, "reduced for quick sale" ground beef, and crazy organ meats from the Chinese market. This is supplemented with occasional treats of green tripe, the odd rabbit if I'm feeling flush, and free venison from my brother who hunts.

I'm constantly on the lookout for stuff to feed the dogs. I never go in a grocery store that I don't stop at the meat deparment to see what's on sale. Some people go to garage sales and flea markets--my hobby is hunting cheap meat!

It would be nearly impossible to feed raw cost-consciously without a freezer that allows you to stockpile.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great, thanks again Tracy.

I'll have to do a little more research before I "take the plunge."

One person I'll have to check with is my Son-In-Law who's the "Store Director" (a.k.a. "Big Kahuna") for one of our largest, local food chains.

Craig

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
I'm probably one of the least of the bargain-shopping raw-feeders here, and I almost never spend over $1.80 per lb on average (that includes eggs, dairy, meat, veggies, the whole deal). It used to be less, but the price of some things (like eggs, which have gone up 50% in three months) is killing me.

But compared to the cost of premium kibble (that I feed my senior who can't eat raw), which is skyrocketing, I still consider raw feeding a good bargain. And my dog is healthy, healthy, healthy!
That's worth A LOT!

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
For cost, if you have a CostCo, SamsClub, or Bjs there by you, that helps. Prices on bulk chicken quarters, wings, etc are quite reasonable in helping keep costs down.

I like Ian Billinghurst's book, "Give Your Dog a Bone." Not intimidating, an easy read-- but it has lots of juicy info about what to feed and why.. and always emphasizes that you have flexibility in feeding. It makes the whole raw idea easier to learn about.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts