German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got our girl from a Craigslist ad. I know it was the wrong way to go about it, but I wasn't aware at the time. She's 6 months old, weighs 50 lbs, pretty lean and long, and she has a slightly sloped back, maybe roach?

It doesn't make a difference to me what line she is, but I'd like to know, just in case it helps in anyway in the future.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm guessing BYB means backyard breeder? In that case she could just be a mix of lines, making her a gsd mutt, so to speak? That's kinda what I thought anyway. She is really pretty. She's also very smart, sweet, and confident. I think we got lucky

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
Gorgeous girl! Congrats!

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'm guessing BYB means backyard breeder? In that case she could just be a mix of lines, making her a gsd mutt, so to speak? That's kinda what I thought anyway. She is really pretty. She's also very smart, sweet, and confident. I think we got lucky
Not exactly a GSD mutt, just not bred for a specific purpose(show/working), more so a house dog. Dogs with good pedigrees are bred to improve the breed. Others are accidental litters or bred for profit solely. I wouldn't worry about it too much. I got my GSD from craigslist, but he had papers and West German working line parents and grand parents. It doesn't make too much of a difference honestly.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
She is very pretty! As others said, looks like a typical GSD pet line..byb..whatever you want to call it. I would not sweat it, she is gorgeous, just enjoy her. Are you doing any training with her? Best thing you can ever do with a good dog :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
She's a pretty girl(!) and FWIW I recently found my latest dog on craigslist. She was listed on craigslist twice, once as a 5 month old puppy by her original owners, and at 11 mos old by the people I got her from.

My only concern with getting a dog with little to no information attached was health related, since I couldn't see verification that she came from dogs x-rayed and free of hip and/or elbow dysplasia. I bred GSDs for decades, East and West German bloodlines. When I went to see my new dog for the first time I noted how well she's put together; no wiggle, no wobble, tight as a drum and she moves with a reaching trot that flows over the ground effortlessly. I was thrilled. It's no guarantee, but I have a good eye ( I think) and her conformation and steady temperament tells me she comes from good stock.

Good dogs are given up for a variety of reasons. Paying thousands of dollars for a puppy doesn't seem to matter when the pup no longer fits the expectation people have that puppies are easy to raise.

Good luck with your girl!

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
We got our girl from a Craigslist ad. I know it was the wrong way to go about it, but I wasn't aware at the time. She's 6 months old, weighs 50 lbs, pretty lean and long, and she has a slightly sloped back, maybe roach?

It doesn't make a difference to me what line she is, but I'd like to know, just in case it helps in anyway in the future.
Training and exposure to different environments can reveal much. Work with her, have fun and you'll learn plenty.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
byb usually connotates total lack of care -

she is very pretty .

based on her limbs , her head and eye and ear set , that she is a young
American Show line bred female.

does she have a tattoo anywhere , ear, flank or groin?

there are a lot of people who go out with the best intentions wanting
to breed and compete who give a valiant try , doing all the right things .

they go to the shows , they enter , they want to belong and succeed , but sometimes
tthat old guard , the clique , is unwelcoming, unsupportive , and so the newbie,
not being a masochist gives up.

byb don't care and they don't seem to give up .

I think this might be the case.

there was an article that , magazine , from some years ago along the lines of
So You Want to be a Breeder , whichsaid that on average newbies coming in
aren't prepared for the , my words BS , and quit after about 5 years.

nice female --

·
Registered
32,562 Posts
Not a mutt!!! Just probably not a particular line. she has a lot of red which typically comes from West German show lines. Her structure is more ASL. Her pattern is more working line.

Regardless of her pedigree, she has really stunning color. She's gorgeous.

·
Registered
13 Posts
She is such a pretty girl! We have a hayena that pretends to be a dog (just kidding), or a dog that is unlike any other, a stray rescued from the woods, but may have some GSD in her or may be a Taiwan mountain dog - she has pretty brindles too (separate thread in this forum) ... but she loves to sleep like this and it does not really matter :)

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not sure if I'm replying correctly, but yes, we've been training her since she was 8 weeks old. She's awesome. Seems to be coming out of that baby stage now.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
'' does she have a tattoo anywhere , ear, flank or groin?''

What do you mean by a tattoo?

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
'' does she have a tattoo anywhere , ear, flank or groin?''

What do you mean by a tattoo?
An actual tattoo. Inked onto her body.
Typically numbers and sometimes a number/letter combo, in the ear are vet or shelter and on the flank or groin are breeder, but there are variations.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No tattoos. We got her at about 6 weeks old. The breeder lied about her age, said she was 8 weeks. Our vet told us later that she was younger.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
No tattoos. We got her at about 6 weeks old. The breeder lied about her age, said she was 8 weeks. Our vet told us later that she was younger.
what ? this puts a different spin on things.

You know where you got her from . You know if the "breeder" was mucking around or a breeder dedicated , long term interes.

Did you see the parents?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Not to hyjack the post but I am curious about mine too.

Mazzy was adopted in March from shelter in Southern Cal....any ideas as to her lines? the white marking on her nose was of some confusion to me initially ... but after my own research it appears that she has the Irish white spotted gene.. fairly rare on the nose from what I have read.. she is very drivey.. but calms down nice in the house. she is not afraid of fireworks at all.. loves all people especially children ( almost to a fault.) is very mouthy.... but redirects to a toy. Is a very very fast runner.. lol anyway just curious.....

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts