German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's as close as I could get to a screaming icon.

Bah humbug!
Barker the Elder was at the chiropractor along with me on Wednesday. Things were looking good - he does her so much good it is amazing. This morning she had diahrea (sp) -- not much warning just sudden change in bowels. So I come home at noon, take both BTE & BTY out to our fenced yard, check for neighbor dogs and let them go. (I paid over 3k to get the yard fenced when I moved in.) Bring BTE in and am watching her as I fix lunch. Suddenly there's barking. The neighbor came home and didn't check for dogs before turning hers loose - so we got fencefightitis.. And BTY came up gimpy -- screwed up the leg that she hadn't had surgery on a few years back... Big time sore.

I am so mad. These are generally good neighbors but they could just be more careful. They didn't have to pay for the fence, they've talked about (for several years they've talked about) schemes to keep their dogs off my fence and done nothing about it. THey haven't figured out the concept of "don't just turn them loose" yet. Now I have a dog in pain, probably disabled for several months & a wallet that's going to be in pain.

BTE is still poopy. BTY can barely walk. THe ortho doc can't see her until the 18th. I need to somehow get her to the chiro (an hour away), get some pills for BTE, get some anti-diahreal food -- all before noon tomorrow....

Arghhhhhh can you hear me now???????

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Oh dear, mid. I'm so sorry. Here you were thinking you were having a pretty good day, and this happens.

You don't have any ground turkey sitting in your freezer, by any chance? That's my secret anti-diarrheal food. Better than chicken and rice. Just boiled ground turkey, rinsed twice. (You can add rice if you have some at home, but it's not necessary).

Since it's a new injury, ice it. Seriously, she'll hate it, but ice it anyhow. It is the best way to prevent/reduce inflammation. Sit on the floor with frozen peas or an icebag; both should be wrapped in a t-shirt (a towel tends to be too thick) and hold it on the injured area. Feed tiny pieces of delicious snacks to distract her. 20 minutes on/20 minutes off. Watch the Olympics or whatever lame reruns are on TV tonight.

You know, she might have just tweaked it a bit, and serious icing, a few days of even more serious rest, and lots of love, and she could be back to normal. Now, if this were MY life, this would not be a possibility because the worst case scenario always happens for me. But you're going to have better luck, ok? Let's be hopeful.
I'll keep you and the Barkers in my thoughts.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Were the dogs outside unsupervised when this happened? Just wondering.

·
Registered
15,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input about ice and arnica. She's got a tablet of Derramax in her now. I'm going to try to get to the chiropractor & the vet tomorrow! (OK I whined about this already!!) Vet asked about xrays and I said "no" then I got to thinking that maybe I should just in case she broke something instead of just screwing up another ACL or miniscus. This burg's a bit of a PIA because my vet's across town, so's the real food health food store and the chiropractor is about 60 miles away - and not quite the same direction but at least not the opposite direction...

So last weekend was rather relaxed and incredibly hot - this one's cooler & crazy... And me whining! I guess I'm going to have to start walking without dogs this fall. (BTE doesn't go but around the block any more.) That's going to be weird. I never do that! I wonder if I know how to do that?

·
Registered
15,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Can you hear me now?

I just noticed that I used the wrong "hear" in the heading! Sheesh! I guess I was upset!

And now I see it's 3 am so it's time for bed!

·
Registered
3,204 Posts

I hope things are better in the morning.

·
Registered
15,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Well, one vet visit and set of xrays later -- her hips are the best the vet's seen in person. -- nothing shows as broken & she's got way to much give in her knee so it's probably a messed up ACL... Dr. Dew's kids have tuition due anyway....

·
Registered
7,571 Posts

Originally Posted By: middleofnowhereDr. Dew's kids have tuition due anyway....

I've put my vet's four kids through private school and now we're saving money for college, med school, law school, post-doc work, whatever their sweet little hearts desire. Yeah, I know what you're going through.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
15,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

The latest update is squirty poop -- like shot from a cannon.... Sigh. I know it's not related - it's just ONE MORE THING... Guess I call in for a perscription Monday. I've got pumpkin thawing and fed a lot more white rice tonight. Now to pull out the fiber tabs. She does need to loose weight - she's big boned and far from petite but still she should be 100 or less, not 106.... She and I both think the scale is wrong wrong wrong! But the squirts won't help - just have potential for really messing up the house. Fiber pill & Deramaxx here we come!

·
Registered
3,204 Posts

I am glad she is better, even though it maybe an ACL ... squirty poop IS DEALABLE, I guess. I hope it is all sorted soon .. hugs to you all.

·
Registered
15,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Thanks. Squirty poop seems gone. As quickly as it appeared. In both dogs.

I only wish the knee would work that way....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts