German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got a puppy 3 weeks ago and it's our first dog. Mainly we want the puppy as a family dog, but we do plan do take her to obedience training and we'll see how far we can go. She is 13 weeks now.

Today I took the time to register her in the pedigree database and I found her ancestors, but I have no idea how to read that information.

Can someone with more experience shed some light into this? Can you tell me what lines my puppy is coming from: pet/working/show and if it's American/Germany/Czech lines? I'm just trying to learn as much as I can about my pup...The breeder did not give us much information once we said we want the puppy as a family/pet dog, but mentioned something about working Czech lines...

Here is the link to her pedigree:
5 generation long pedigree for Cherokee's Lolla

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Yes, going back a couple of generations on the mother's side, there are some Czech working lines.

On the Father's side, it looks like mostly American Showlines with a sprinkling of West German Show lines starting to show up five generations back.

Hard to say what your pup is going to be like since the working lines are only part of the whole, and one would have to know all aspects of the dogs in both sides of the pedigree to have an idea of the outcome.

Best bet to gain more knowledge in and insight is to talk to the breeders and ask about their dogs, their backgrounds, the breeding goals and aims, the strengths and weakness of the parents, and how the breeder decided on mating the parents to balance these out, and what traits she is hoping to produce in the the litter.

It is fun and interesting when people ask about their dog's pedigree on the board, allows everyone to learn more by reading the input from experienced people (I just know general, superficial stuff - like recognizing the different lines, for example.)
But really the breeders should be the best and most knowledgeable source of info.

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
Your puppy's sire seems to be a mixture of American show lines and German show lines with a tiny bit of German working lines. The mother is a mixture of Czech and German working lines.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts