German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was contacted recently by a local trainer who said she had a client that had to give up his puppy. Here is the story.

The gentleman is disabled with Parkinson's. He also has a wife and an 11 year old son. He has sent the puppy to basic puppy class at petsmart..and began also working with a trainer...until funds ran out. He has great difficulty controlling the puppy and felt he had no recourse but to give him up.

I spoke with him on the phone..and he was obviously very broken up about the whole situation. He was ready to give the puppy up to a wonderful rescue...and I was set to go to his home to eval and make final arrangements tomorrow. When I called tonight...he was very emotional. Said they love their dog so much and don't want to give him up..but don't know what to do. The entire family was crying. He asked me if there were any trainers he could make payment plans to...etc. I knew at this point...we needed to work on keeping this family together.

Max will be 6 months on Dec 21. He is said to be a great puppy. Has been extensively socialized and is great with other dogs and kids. He is crate trained and has a crate...and gazillions of toys :) He is very loved.

His major issues are mouthiness and jumping up on people. I'm sure we need to get good leash manners in place too...especially given this gentleman's health. His wife and son are on board to help with training.

So...I told him I would present this here...get some good sound advice from the experts...and take it from there. He will be joining the forum and probably adding to this with his own questions.

I am hopeful in the future that I can also get a few people...and we can pitch in and even visit and assist with training :)

I know these are common puppy issues...but overwhelming for a disabled person. He said the puppy currently seems to be more mindful of his wife then him.

Thank you for any assistance!

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Training advice :)

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finances are tight..and she is not cheap.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I see...

Well, petsmart training classes are just about useless IMHO and don't allow the use of training collars such as prongs, etc.

Has anyone talked to him about the proper use of a prong collar for training purposes, drag lines in the home for training, products such as bitter apple for mouthing/nipping, etc?

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Those are very common puppy problems and I think that just by joining this forum he can get A LOT of support, ideas and answers to help him keep his puppy. I know that even with my very limited experience I would be willing to offer whatever advice and support that I could. The fact that he loves his puppy so much is wonderful and the dog will also do wonders for his state of mind to help him with his disease as well.

And I have to say I am VERY disappointed that the trainer is not willing to somehow work with them. The fact this man has a very crippling illness and a dogs love could really go far to improving his quality of life.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Myamom.....why can't we do it for free? You spoke with him and said he's a good guy so why can't we help him out? I'm guessing he is in PA? Do you know what part of PA? I am willing to do it for free, if for some reason there is a problem I can ask Alan Finn or Eric Burnett, Eric may be tied up with Schutzhund but I can ask if you want me to? PM me if you want to go into details, thanks Jeff

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Jeff...I'll send you a pm!
Thank you Dharmasmom for your sweet post.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts