German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this subject has been beaten to death, but I tried the search function, and finally gave up on what I was looking for. I'm gonna beat the subject a little more.

I know that pups under a year old shouldn't run/jog for exercise (other than the running they do on their own during play), but what about after a year old? Kodee turned 1 a couple of weeks ago, and tonight while we were out, we did a small amount of jogging (I am out o' shape!) in our pasture out back. (I mowed a double-wide path all the way around our 15 acres so we could have our own "walking trails"). Anyway, I am trying to increase his exercise a little, as he is a housedog, and most of our walks are fairly short in the summertime, as the heat index has been around 105 here lately. (Today was a frosty 82 degrees, and we didn't jog until about 8:30p.m.)

Is jogging on grass ok at 12 months? If so, how much? If not, when will it be?

I'd like to start jogging for my own benefit, and if I can take Kodee, that would kill 2 birds w/one stone, so to speak.

TIA!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i don't know what age you can jog with your dog but becareful in that heat. i mean make sure you and your dog are ok. start slow, short distances and in the evening.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - I am definitely being careful. Kodee hasn't been getting much exercise the last few weeks, b/c its so d*mn hot and humid! He scared me once a couple weeks ago - I ended up calling the vet to find out the symptoms of heat exhaustion. He ended up being fine, but I haven't taken him out in the sun since. Tonight the only reason we walked (and a tiny bit of jogging), was because it was in the 70's by the time we went out, and getting close to dark.

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
I used to run 4 mi. p/day and my vet told me not to run w/Sean until he was at least 2 y.o. However, running is different than jogging. I'm sure a short jog would be fine and Kodee would learn to love it as well as you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts