German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can we open our homes just a little more....

Hi everyone out there who loves GSD's as much as I do. I have only been involved with Rescue for 2 years and just recently affiliated myself with a GSD rescue near the area where I live. I have only just learned of this forum recently and it has been nothing but supportive. I just have a couple of comments and a question.
Why are there so many GSD's that are so beautiful, noble and appear to be fine family dogs being left as strays, surrendered to animal control or dumped? Don't tell me the economy!
I can not put my mind around this awful reality and every day I am checking petfinder, our local craigslist and even going to shelters myself. It seems that there are so many of us out there who are willing to open our homes up to these less than fortunate creatures who have become victims of our communities. But I look at Madeline, in St. Paul, NC, who is maybe 2 hours or so from me and I just cry! She is NOT the only one. There are many. I think that at some point we just have to work together for one common cause and she needs our help like so many of her brothers and sisters. I would take her in a heartbeat, but just like everyone else, I have a list of what I find to be "excuses" why not to reach out. 2 senior dogs, 2 very young children and a young foster dog myself not to mention a full time job. It does not help that my husband could be deployed at a moments notice either. Somebody, I am a reasonable person, but this whole thing of what is happening to these dogs is just horrible and it hurts my very soul. I can cry and it may make me feel better, but that does not save lives. Please let's try to work on this girl and all the others and just open our homes a little more .. that in turn opens our hearts and the chance to save yet more lives. If someone can just take one more, at another time someone that didn't think they could would step up and know that it is possible.
*and someone help me understand why there are so many and so few to help. *Thanks every one!

·
Registered
14,028 Posts
Re: Can we open our homes just a little more....

Quote:Don't tell me the economy!
Why not - it IS part of the reason.

People are unemployed and have to choose between feeding their children or feeding the dog. Not a choice.

People are losing their homes at record rates and dog-friendly housing can be hard to find.

For those people that DO make sacrifices in order to keep their animals - adding another one right now is not an option for them.

Then there's the fact that if you take in a foster right now you are pretty much guaranteed to have it longer than normal. Since people are giving up their dogs at record rates that means that adoption rates are going down.

AND, adoption agencies have to be even MORE vigilant to make sure a person adopting a dog now is able to KEEP the dog.

It's not so black and white. People having to give up their dogs are not all bad people. They are people in hard times making hard choices.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts

My heart goes out to what you are feeling. And I do think you hit the nail on the head - there are so many. People do what they can do. I know you may call some of the reasons excuses but for many those are valid reasons.

Some communities only allow x number of pets. I don't know what that is here, I haven't been able to find it on my community website. In NC there are ordinances for numbers of animals in Cary and I believe Morrisville as well (got that from a pet sitter when I was down in NC in 2008). If a dog is taken in as a foster, it is good the dog was rescued but could also end up being fostered for quite sometime or maybe never adopted out....and then what about the next one that has 2 hours to live? Do we go get that one as well? It is a never ending cycle. And for the person who makes a decision purely on the emotional aspect may end up over their head or may end up taking the dog to the shelter themselves or end up as hoarders. We have seen news report after news report on the TV and over the Internet how good intentioned people became hoarders because they just didn't want the dogs or cats to die. I've seen it on Animal Planet with the Animal Cops show. These folks - very good intentioned, loving animal people - made decisions with their emotions. If a person can foster they should do so with a reputable foster care agency and be honest about their limits.

Sadly, the cycle of life does include death. Some may end up dying sooner rather than later. Until the pet population is reduced there will be numerous dogs and cats killed every day. And that, sadly, is a reality.

For Madeline in St. Paul - do you have a link for her or did you put her in the URGENT section of the forum? A rescue group might be able to pull her.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

You are both right. I just find that I am so passionate about this whole thing. I always look at the dog's eyes, and some just get to me more than others. Madeline I found already posted on the urgent sight. I hope someone will be able to help her and I am sure that there are people out there who will. You are right, rescues have to be careful about how many they take in. There is a low percentage of people adopting. I just wish we could educate communities a little more about pet ownership! Thanks gals, I do understand but the reality is that I just had to say something because I felt led to.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts

Robert, she is in Urgent right now, heart breaking, I am in NH I would take her, my only problem is distance. I am not a rescue just a GSD lover, and no one likes to send GSD to people who are not approved foster for a rescue so here I sit helpless, But if someone gets her i will donate.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts

Heidi, I bet this one would let her go to you in a heartbeat, they want her gone, dont think they care how... sorry if that seems harsh. I bet if you asked someone to help with transport, you could have her there with you by next weekend....

·
Registered
1,858 Posts

Regaldogs, I share your sentiment in feeling almost helpless to help all these dogs, I used to volunteer as a foster home in that area as well. GSRA? Anyway, I now live in MS, rent and am unemployed. I try to stay away from threads such as this girl, because it breaks my heart to be unable to help these poor lost souls.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts

I understand your predicament regaldogs, I am deployed right now and sure can't do anything from here.

·
Registered
15,884 Posts

Of course it is sad. I think the main responsibility we all bear is to KNOW OUR LIMITS.
I turned down a friend who was trying to place a dog (not her dog) because he wouldn't work for me and this was not the time for me to be integrating another dog even if he would work for me.

With some trepidation, I will say this: Impassioned pleas turn me off. Solidly off. I back slowly away and close the door firmly. I recommend a good deal of reason mixed with that sentiment when looking for a dog. Emotional appeals seek to get you to ignore reason. They play on emotions alone.

Most of us here know what we can handle at this time, in this place. If the OP wants to pull this dog and transport it (either have it flown to her or drive to get it) that would be great. There may be other dogs closer to her that are equally needy and would incur less cost. Of course that's an option too.

If we all want to suffer a guilt trip, consider that there are children in this world that get fewer resources spent on them than many of us spend on our dogs.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts

My heart also hurts for all those dogs that will not make it out.

Quote: If someone can just take one more,
This where I draw the line. I have worked independently to help dogs get rescued, some successful and some not. I will not bring another into my home. My home balance is perfect right now and I owe my own dogs the comfort and attention I promised them when they came into my home. It is not an easy choice, but the best one for me and my dogs.

People who continue to take 'just one more' when they are at their limit are at risk of being hoarders instead of rescuers.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts

I will put myself on the side of someone who might have helped and did NOT.I had a dog friendly grey who was older and having problems with cauda equina/spondylosis.My sister had a people aggressive border collie.I thought it unfair to take him in-even though my grey might have been OK-he was not dog aggressive,I did not do it and dog was euthed.
Now have enough money and enough space for another dog (grey died at 15 yrs old)but have an abused GSD rescue who is DOG aggressive(seen by 2 dog behaviorists).If you say everyone has room for just one more dog-maybe I agree and maybe I do NOT.Wish I could take another but my committment is to my present rescue.

·
Registered
31,829 Posts

I think the economy IS part of it.

Another part is that a lot of people buy a GSD puppy, and never bother to train it. When they become fed up with bad habits, house training issues, chewing, etc., the pup gets put out back on a chain, or in the yard. Almost instantaneously, the dog starts digging and becomes a muddy mess. When it is no longer convenient to keep the adolescent, untrained pup, the owners, drop it off at the shelter saying they do not have time for it, or that it is stupid.

A third problem is that sometimes the breeders do not bother trying to match the puppy to the owner at all, and a pup with way too much drive and energy lands with an owner who works too many hours or just does not have the stamina.

Add to that, a lot of people are buying their pups over the internet and having them shipped in. Some of these people are less likely to pay to have the dog shipped back to the breeder and just drop the dog at a shelter.

Lastly, there are people out there that are happy to have the dog so long as it is healthy, but when the dog gets sick and it seems that it will not be a quick and cheap solution, the owners make a decision concerning the dog. That decision is sometimes to dump the dog.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts

Originally Posted By: Skye'sMom
Quote: If someone can just take one more,
This where I draw the line. I have worked independently to help dogs get rescued, some successful and some not. I will not bring another into my home. My home balance is perfect right now and I owe my own dogs the comfort and attention I promised them when they came into my home. It is not an easy choice, but the best one for me and my dogs.
I agree. I try to help out by spreading the word about dogs in rescue, always suggesting rescue first when people ask me for help picking a dog, doing home visits on behalf of a local rescue, doing transports, and paying for vet checks or boarding. I currently own three dogs and our city limit is three dogs. Taking in "just one more" jeopardizes our rental lease and the security of ALL of my dogs.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts

regaldogs - I hear you loud and clear. I have many of the same thoughts and feelings myself. I would love to jump in and save them all. I fall in love with so many I see posted here and that's just a small handful of what's really out there. I've had thoughts of jumping in my car and driving to wherever "that dog" is and bringing it home with me.

Then I get real with myself. I work full time and run my own business so that's 100-120hrs a week. 5-6 days a week I'm home alone with 2 GSDs already. I have to do the walking, feeding, other activities with them by myself in other words it's just me doing everything about 85% of the time. We're very limited to what we can do because places around where I live that offer activities for dogs do not offer them in the morning hours, they all cater to the world that works dayshift - I work midnights and sleep 2nd shift all their activities take place afternoons/evenings. I have a very small yard so mine don't get much exercise there. I have a male that gets along with some dogs but not others. Our dogs cost over $200 a mo to feed. I don't think I need to go on ...

I am one person and I must continually remind myself "I can't save them all" as much as I'd love to. I'm grateful to anyone and everyone in rescues because at least they have resources to get save some and although it's not perfect, saving some is a whole lot better than not saving any.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts

While fostering does take one dog and puts it into a safe place, there are other things you can do.

http://www.pet-abuse.com/pages/prevent_abuse.php How to Prevent Abuse of animals (btw, that is a database of animal abusers and their crimes)

Donating is huge. A rescue can take a HW+ dog in, can save a family (puppies SHOULD be expensive-worming for all, food and supps for mom, shots, speuters for all), help an ortho case, or just help in general for all the animals in the rescue. And you can give $5, $10 and that helps.

However, times are tough so you can find other things you can do. Once I came up with an idea and a flier for a dog on this board-Apollo at Noble Rescue, to help buy this pill he had to take that was $13.50 a pill. So that was my contribution, the flier. They raised a lot in a few days (I am thinking it was $3000?!?).

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=stickpost&Number=69539

from that list some ideas:

100 Ways to Help
compiled by
Trinity of Hope Dog Rescue

CAN YOU:
Transport a dog?
Donate a dog bed or towels or other bedding type items?
Donate a crate?
Donate an x-pen or baby gates?
Donate a food dish or a stainless bucket for a crate?
Donate a leash?
Donate a collar?
Donate some treats or a bag of food?
Walk a dog?
Groom a dog?
Donate some grooming supplies (shampoos, combs, brushes, etc.)?
Make a few phone calls?
Mail out applications to people who've requested them?
Drive a dog to and from vet appointments?
Donate a canine first aid kit?
Provide a shoulder to cry on when the rescue person is overwhelmed?
Make purchases on the internet via a web site that contributes commissions earned to a rescue group?
Host rescue photos with an information link on your website.?
Donate time to take good photos of foster dogs for adoption flyers, etc.?
Conduct a home visit or accompany a rescue person on the home visit?
Go with rescue person to the vet to help if there is more than one dog?
Have a yard sale and donate the money to rescue?
Talk to all your friends about adopting and fostering rescue dogs?
Write a column for your local newspaper or club newsletter on dogs currently looking for homes or ways to help rescue?
Maintain web sites listing/showing dogs available?
Help organize and run fundraising events?
Help maintain the paperwork files associated with each dog or enter the information into a database?
Loan your carpet steamcleaner to someone who has fostered a dog that was sick or marked in the house?
Donate a bottle of bleach or other cleaning products?
Drive the fosters' children to an activity so that the foster can take the dog to obedience class?
Pay the cost of taking a dog to obedience class?
Be the one to take the dog to its obedience class?
Go to the foster home once a week with your children and dogs to help socialize the dog?
Help the foster clean up the yard (yes, we also have to scoop what those foster dogs poop)

So that's just a part of the big list in addition to what people have listed above! And in all that networking, you may find others who want to become foster homes. I can't always foster either, so I do local home checks (gives a dog a home [hopefully] and opens up a foster for another dog), or try to fundraise.

·
Registered
12,142 Posts

Jean is so right

Anything anyone does is so appreciated. Don't ever think your contribution is too small.....just one thing...by so many people working together....results in miracles

1 - 16 of 16 Posts