German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have had a bad week at work. It's been hard. I'm lucky with Sasha because my 17 year old son is home a lot. He is doing a part time OU college thing for his senior year and he is home a lot. Sasha, at 4 months old, isn't alone for more than 4 hours at a time. It's helped with potty training. Once in a while, he has to be away longer and I can't get back home to let her out. I think the longest she's been alone is 5 hours. When this happens, we just block off my bedroom instead of the crate. She has learned how to open up the baby gate. :rolleyes: The gate does lock (I just figured it out) so, I can keep her in there when we are away for more than 4 hours. I don't expect her to hold her pee that long and don't mind cleaning up an accident. This has only been a problem a few days since I got her...

Anyway, that's not why I'm writing this. Like I've said, I have had a hard week at work. I'm cranky. I get home tonight and my 17 year old has Sasha all worked up because mom is home. What do you think happened? Well, she's worked up and she's jumping, whining and when I try to calm her down she bites down hard on my arm. I'm cranky, and haul off and slap her off me half way across the room. I've never hit my children and I planned on never hitting Sasha. She caught me off guard. I am tired and cranky and at that point, don't want to deal with the PUPPY. GAHHHH!!

But then, I read the thread about the poor GSD left alone all day. The OP seems so cold about his dog. He cares more about the carpet in the rental then his dog. (I could be wrong) After I read that, I sat down in the middle of my floor and starting crying. I'm tired, frustrated and stressed. But, I love my Sasha. She's sleeping at the moment and I can see her from where I am at. I just want to go open her crate and pull her out and tell her I'm sorry and love on her for the next hour. However, I also know that we had a good time after I lost my temper and I wore her butt out with games and doubled up on training. She is a dog and not human. I know. That's the problem sometimes.

Thanks Carmen for your advice.

Have I mentioned how hard a GSD is to raise?

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
To answer your question...no. We've all been in situations like yours and have said and done things we wish we could take back the instant they happen. Luckily for us our amazing dogs can't love us too much and forgive our frailties and moments of weakness. That's when they tend to be the strongest for us and that's why we love them so.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I agree with Stosh, we've all done/said things when we were mad that we can't take back. If your Sasha is anything like my Sasha she was probably too worked up to even take it as anger anyway. I really pushed Sasha off me hard one day because, like you, I'd had a really long/hard day, and when she jumped up she really scratched my arm, it hurt like heck, and I just snapped. I pushed Sasha off really hard, and I'm fairly certain she thought it was just part of a game. They know we love them just as much as we know they love us. Sasha would do anything for me, and I know she knows she can count on me to love and protect her. Long story short, you'll remember this much longer than Sasha will. I don't think you can love too much in general.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Can't have too much love. You can smother, pamper, treat like a child, spoil etc.. too much and have a problem dog on your hands. You said it, he's a dog. They are very forgiving.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
No such thing as too much love. I have 3 kids and my dogs feel like they are my children as well. As parents sometimes we may say something that we wish we hadn't, and the same goes for mistakes we may make with our dogs. We all make mistakes. Forgive yourself, and think of your puppy as a baby, who needs a great deal of patience.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree with Stosh, we've all done/said things when we were mad that we can't take back. If your Sasha is anything like my Sasha she was probably too worked up to even take it as anger anyway. I really pushed Sasha off me hard one day because, like you, I'd had a really long/hard day, and when she jumped up she really scratched my arm, it hurt like heck, and I just snapped. I pushed Sasha off really hard, and I'm fairly certain she thought it was just part of a game. They know we love them just as much as we know they love us. Sasha would do anything for me, and I know she knows she can count on me to love and protect her. Long story short, you'll remember this much longer than Sasha will. I don't think you can love too much in general.
I think the difference might be is that my 17 year old couldn't "hurt" me when he was a toddler but Sasha does by accident. Oh, wait...my Alexi did hurt me when he was a toddler. He was about 3 years old and threw a toy and hit me between the eyes. I had an egg on my head. Nevermind. Toddlers can do it too.. :crazy:

·
Registered
642 Posts
bahh.. im so glad my puppy isn't 4 months old anymore. cute stage-but hyper and nippy no matter what you do lol.

don't feel bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts