German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
Kona (2F)- Von Rief Kennels
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a two year old female gsd, and come next year we may be in the market to get another dog. We know we want another gsd, and I would like another female. However, I’ve read multiple times that you shouldn’t keep two female gsds together? I’ve seen lots of female dogs live with other females, but I guess I haven’t seen two girl gsds together. Is this true, or just a myth?

·
Registered
Carmspack Gus
3,639 Posts
Many breeders won’t sell females to a home that already has a female. They are great until they aren’t. It’s a crap shoot. Once the puppy pass is over and the puppy reaches adolescence, you could end up crating and rotating to avoid fights. Bitch fights are ugly and can easily result in the death of one or both.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I have a two year old female gsd, and come next year we may be in the market to get another dog. We know we want another gsd, and I would like another female. However, I’ve read multiple times that you shouldn’t keep two female gsds together? I’ve seen lots of female dogs live with other females, but I guess I haven’t seen two girl gsds together. Is this true, or just a myth?
If you know what you are doing maybe. Even in an experienced home if two females take disliking to each other then that may be it and they can never be left alone together. Talk with your breeder and ask about same sex aggression within their lines. A reputable breeders knows if their bitches tend toward same sex aggression or not. If you decide to get another female then have a back up plan in place for if things break bad. Can you live with crating and rotating until one dog dies, 10+ years? Are you willing to rehome one of them?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I only had females so far with a rare exception of 2 male pups that we’ve bred that lived with us till they were a year and a half.
From 1983 till now with no aggression issues:
Great Dane/poodle, Giant Schnauzer/poodle combination.
I had mother daughter Shar Pei that absolutely loved each other and the daughter started protecting mom when she was senior and fragile at the age of 14.
A combination of 3 Shar Pei and a Great Dane.
Now a Border Collie and a German Shepherd so far so good.
I am not sure though if I want to have 2 female GS.

·
Registered
33 Posts
While I don’t have any personal experience with this, my breeder gave us a pretty helpful quote on the situation: Males fight to fight, females fight to kill!

·
Registered
Carmspack Gus
3,639 Posts
You won't realize what your in for until its too late too. One day its all good, the next your at the vet.
Yep!!!!
Crate and rotate works great until someone makes one little mistake. Millie is now my daughters dog but she moved home so we have a fine tuned system now but we had hiccups. I won’t EVER have 2 female dogs of any breed in my house in the future.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Talk with your breeder and ask about same sex aggression within their lines. A reputable breeders knows if their bitches tend toward same sex aggression or not.
Always wondered if there's a genetic component to same sex aggression.
My females always got along fine (same breeder) and I know multiple people with more than one female who haven't had problems. That being said if everything else is equal having one of each sex would seem like the logical and safest choice.

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
My females always got along fine (same breeder) and I know multiple people with more than one female who haven't had problems. That being said if everything else is equal having one of each sex would seem like the logical and safest choice.
I wondered that as well. I know Carmen kept females together, Lee and Marsha do as well. But Lee, I believe, won't put a female in a home with another female. Also seem to recall Carmen saying she wouldn't. I could be wrong.
But then I think of full sisters that I knew. One was savagely dog aggressive and worse with females. The one I had loved everyone and was Sabs BFF.
The problem with getting a second female is that you won't know it isn't going to work for maybe two years, or more! Then what?

·
Super Moderator
6,384 Posts
Some get along. Some don’t. I don’t like male dogs, so this is my life if I want more than one dog. I don’t recommend it to someone that is new to dog ownership.

Carly & Sage were good. Carly and Scarlet too. I’m not so sure how Scarlet and Nora will end up. Scarlet is more of a pill than I thought she’d be. We’ll see. I have no problem separating dogs around here, so if there’s an issue I can deal with it.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
I've had two or more females (not all GSD) living together. Some get along and some don't. But, in my house at least, I'm their biggest concern, because I just don't tolerate that stuff.

It can be done whether they get along well or not, but in the end, why put yourself through that if you don't have to? JMHO!

·
Registered
32,483 Posts
A two year old? Get a boy. The thing is, you really don't know, not at two, maybe, certainly not at eight weeks. The chances are that your bitch will take to the female pup like it was her own, for a while. Then one day, she sees the pup getting pets, or the pup reaches sexual maturity (whenever that happens -- it is individual to the bitch) and then it is on. And if it is ON, then you can't turn it off. Spaying bitches who are already fighting will not change it, like neutering dogs might. Once you have blood between bitches, you can never trust them together again. Oh, you might be able to get them to live in the same house, you may learn to shut one gate before letting the other one out. You might even get them to train together and lay in the living room with the family. But that isn't trust. Because someone might walk by the other and it goes into a death fight. People get hurt trying to pull bitches apart, and you can't just let them figure it out like you may with dogs, because bitches can kill each other. Personally, I think they are more likely to kill one another than dogs. A dog is beaten and accepts a lower position. Bitches are different.

Dogs, I think are more likely to fight with dogs outside of their pack unless they are close in age/power and then they will fight and figure it out and it will pretty much be that way until something happens to upset the pack order. Bitches seem to be much more likely to fight with bitches within their pack. They tend to have what I call the "green-gene." Which is something like jealousy. Having two young adult bitches can be like having a new wife and asking if she would mind if you high school sweetheart moved in and lived with you all until she finishes college. It CAN be ok.

How can it be ok? If you have natural alpha female and a natural omega female. The omega bitch doesn't come near the owner when the other bitch is around. the alpha bitch sees the omega bitch as no threat at all. In wolf-packs, omega bitches would stay back "baby sitting" the pups while the alpha bitch (dam of the pups) goes out to hunt with the pack. I have actually seen this. Arwen was my first bitch, and she was not a natural alpha. When she was four she had a litter and gave me Jenna and Babs. Jenna was a natural alpha and Babs and omega bitch. When they were a year old Arwen gave me a second litter. She let Babs in with her pups, she would have killed and did try to kill Jenna. Jenna and Babs were together until about 15 months old when I realized that Babs would never reach her potential if she continued to be housed with Jenna. I had to separate them, not because they were fighting, but because mentally Jenna was over-shadowing Babs.

As a breeder, I have kennels, I rotate dogs in and out of my house, and I have to keep multiple females, and intact dogs, etc. So I can separate dogs. I signed up for this. Most pet owners are neither set up for keeping animals separate totally from each other, nor do they want to, are they willing to. It is not what we get a second for. We see the neighbor's dogs romping in the yard and our relatives dogs relaxing together with the family and that is what we want. We don't want to come home to blood bath. And if you aren't a breeder, or a zoo-keeper, there is little likelihood that you can look at your bitch the same way, if you came home to find the younger bitch dead or dying, needing to be euthanized. While I have had a few fights at my house between bitches, I have never experienced one killing another. We did all end up the ER once -- no fun at all. But it wasn't their fault, it was mine.

Currently, I have twelve dogs: 1 elderly spayed bitch, 1 intact dog,, 1 intact puppy-dog, 1 neutered dog, and the 8 intact bitches. They all have different personalities. The old bitch is by herself. My 11 year old is in with her three year old daughter and that just works, probably because of the difference in ages. My 8 year old bitch is in with her 18 month old bitch-pup, and that works, so far. Unless I have pups out of Tinuviel or Vera, this can probably remain ok. If either has pups, they will be separated from their dam and probably not re-introduced. Uzi is two and Kaiah is two and Ramona is five and I won't put any of them in with another female. Which leaves Hepsi, who was in with Kaiah for a while and was in with other females for a while. The thing about females is that, they are ok together until they are not. One day they may not be, and the look out. The current group I feel pretty good about.
Jenna was great with her pups and could be in with her female pups until she had her next litter, and her last litter, she had in with her for 3 years. No problem. Two bitch pups and her. Jenna, Nikki, and Nina. They were great together, but I rehomed the pups because, again there is the over-shadowing. Milla and Ninja were sisters and were in together for 15 to 18 months. After that, Milla had a crazy look that was like prey when she saw small puppies, I didn't trust her around babies. Ninja on the other hand, was a bitch, she would fight with any other bitch. Heidi, Whitney and Tori were sisters, and I found that I could keep two together, but three would mean two would pick on the one. And eventually, I had to keep them in three separate kennels. So the myth of keeping littermates if you want two females, did not really work out for me. They would either eventually fight, badly; or the one would totally over-shadow the other. Keeping bitches that have a good span of years in between -- mother/daughter or even an 8 year old bitch with a baby puppy, might work out.

A lot of folks like to have four years between dogs and then opposite sexes, So your old bitch would be 8, your dog 4 and your new pup a female. They say two's company, three's a pack. So you have pack order issues when you get into having more than two dogs. This means, you have to have excellent leadership qualities, and training of the dogs is a constant. Having two dogs, or a dog and a bitch, can be ok for your average pet owners. Multiple bitches, multiple dogs with a bitch, that becomes more interesting. If you go with the 4 years between them, then that 8 year old is perfect and the four year old is pretty dam close to perfect before the puppy comes in -- then it works.

Ok, I'm rambling. I'll shut up.

PS. Dogs fight for breeding rights, bitches fight for breathing rights.

P. P. S. Bitches = stitches. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

Reactions: Muskeg

·
Registered
Carmspack Gus
3,639 Posts
I don’t think it’s a genetics issues. I think it’s more about a power struggle for who will be top dog.

edit
Both of my schipperkes have female dog friends with no issues except with each other

1 - 20 of 53 Posts