German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been observing the dogs and certain behaviors in certain situations, etc. I noticed a long time ago that Midnite seems to get an adrenaline thing going right after he eats. It's hard to explain but it's iike the protein triggers something, within minutes he snaps out of it. It's not anything bad but I see it. Now with Apollo I've seen a decrease in assertiveness with Midnite in the last couple weeks(which has been a welcome turn)but it creeps in there every now and then, so I'm trying to pinpoint the time/triggers. It seems to be when he is hungry. For instance he was really good all week, but Friday's going into Saturday's there is a longer time frame between meals and this is where I noticed he became assertive. Once he ate there has been no other issues, they are sleeping on the couch together now. I know people can get cranky and mean if they don't eat, can that be the case with dogs? I've been feeding them only once a day with the raw because there is no time for them to run and play in the am and I go to work, so I can't monitor them(terrified of bloat) but I'm wondering if a small meal(especially for Apollo) would take the edge off? I know I'm not crazy, this is what I'm seeing. I just can't figure out the why? Is it a drop in sugar? Just a cranky hungry dog?

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
I feed raw(2x's per day), and before I feed the pm meal my dogs get jacked up and won't settle until they eat.
I personally would not feed only one meal a day, either kibble or raw. I'd rather feed two smaller portions than one large one. I had to feed Karlo a small midnight snack when he was young, or he'd barf bile around 6 am.

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
I feed them a handful of kibble to settle their stomach in the morning to prevent puking bile and keep them quite for an hour or so. Large raw meal in the evening and no more activity then. Works great and the kibble gives them some extra nutrients that they wouldn't get otherwise.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Midnite and Tannor can get overly dramatic when they are hungry. Maybe I will do the bone part in the am(duck frame/leg quarter, etc) to put something small in their stomachs. I was doing that for awhile and now thinking about it, there was never any issues with Apollo. Apollo does not throw up when hungry but I believe I have a cranky GSD on my hands instead.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
I had super low glucose when I was a young teen. I started passing out in public places (fun). Then in my early 20's it got all out of whack again. And, yea - low blood sugar makes you crabby,body aches and tired. The doctor told me no more 2 or 3 meals per day. 5 or 6.... all to keep my blood sugar more level, so that's the way it's been.

You see how kids get when they're blood sugar is off. This all are the reasons I've always fed my dogs twice per day with a mid day snack. Mine also occasionally dumps bile if she doesn't get fed with 1/2 hour of waking up in the am so she gets 1/2 cup right off to hold her tummy till the first feeding. Works every time.

That would be easy enough to check out by splitting the feedings.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They are very active in the morning and then I leave for work, there isn't enough time to get that hour of rest before or after eating.,. If they go out in the morning, get some energy out then eat, I leave shortly after that. They are then alone for 5 hours after that. In the evening I'm home so I can feed, let them rest then exercise or sometimes they exercise, rest then eat, but I'm home monitoring them.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
I feed Valor twice a day. A little more in the morning (Orijen Large Puppy, chicken liver and hearts and steamed carrots and broccoli). With his walks, training and his daily 400 MPH runs I think he needs a little more nutrition throughout the day and less at night when he's pretty much just hanging out with me.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Lombardo, I think you may be right. My sisters and I all joke about how cranky we get if we have to wait too long to eat and I don't know any reason why the same couldn't be said for dogs.

Newlie is an only dog and I haven't seen really any crankiness toward me when he's hungry, but he is a little bit pushier, I guess. That may not be the right word, but it's the best I can think of. He has been steady at around 83 pounds for some time and that's at four cups a day, two in the AM and two in the PM. Because his hips (and or knees)have been bothering him, I have recently cut him back to three cups (half in AM and half in PM) to try to get him to 75 pounds. Well, he always acted hungry with the four cups, but three cups is a whole different ball game. He goes and stands by his food bin, stares at me and/or whines and cries. If I ask "Are you hungry?" he will jump in the air and spin around. Sometimes, he kind of tries to herd me toward the food bin and several times I have caught him after he pulled a bowl off the table to lick it or a napkin to lick the crumbs. I have also, at least once, found him trying to nose the lid off his food bin. That pushiness may be enough to start a fight if there was another dog in the house.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm going to watch this more closely. Apollo has been on medication that requires to be taken with food. This so happens to be in the last week that I noticed the difference. Coincidence? I'm thinking not.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So yesterday and today I gave them the bone/meat part of the meal in the AM. This morning after they ate Apollo rushed Midnite--it's like he got an adrenaline rush(just like Midnite does), except Apollo doesn't stop on voice command. Almost another fight. Apollo is now crated with basket muzzle on. I need to get this dog in some kind of activity and fast. I can't find a nosework class that is not full or during work hours. All agility classes think that all the dogs should be able to mingle. No tracking anywhere. I wonder if bite work would work with him? He gets very focused and nothing snaps him out of it, except me physically dragging him away. I didn't get much from the GSD trainer, so I'm kinda on my own here. Apollo is going to have a rough summer not enjoying bring outside if he doesn't learn how to behave. At least I have 3 yards in one and I already know how they all can be separated if needed.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I take them out first to run them around then let them settle down while I shower and get ready for work. Then I give them either a Kong a Bone or a cup of kibble. (1/2 cup for the smaller dogs). Let them sleep while I'm gone then they are up ready to play again when I get home. :)

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ha- that's my fear with Bash, too.
Oddly enough I was on the phone with a customer today and I hear a loud bark, I start laughing and ask what kind of dog? She has two dobermans. They are two and we start talking about training and she recomended a trainer that works with GSDs. I called her and I liked her right away. She is going to evaluate Apollo with her own dogs and see what is needed. She is open to all methods and bases it on individual dogs. I felt much better after I got off the phone, every dog is a learning experience but I'm willing to put the work in.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts