German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
31,348 Posts

Oh and just for the record I also get the “are you sure?” Bc she’s “small”. She’s a 60-65lb female at 11months old. Well within standard. Just shows you how accustomed people are to the overweight imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I see black phase wolf. And Labrador.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
Used to own a Harlequin Dane. Spent 7 years explaining that she was not a Dalmation/Pitbull cross.

OP, you need to learn this phrase, "Not my circus, not my monkeys!" I find it useful and much less objectionable then walking around asking crazy, uninformed folks if their parents were related before they got married.

·
Registered
31,348 Posts
People also believe that any dog with a spot of pigment on their tongue has Chow Chow in it.... the general public aren't well versed in dog breeds LOL

I was told the black roof of Jax's mouth meant she was a Belgian Shepherd. And a guy all impressed because he had one of those "rare, sable" shepherds that he paid $900 for.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
I was told the black roof of Jax's mouth meant she was a Belgian Shepherd. And a guy all impressed because he had one of those "rare, sable" shepherds that he paid $900 for.
The very knowledgeable lady with the purebred Cockapoo informed me that Sabis tongue spots meant she was part Chow! I thanked her for letting me know.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
here are some pictures of my full blooded wolf shepherd. Or maybe its just a German shepherd. I am not sure. The one dog food commercial tells me that all dogs are descendant of wolves. That explains why my wife's toy poodle is such a jerk.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a black gsd with some tan bleed through. I was in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island one day on a trip to the east coast. Waiting outside in the shade with my girl while my friends were getting take out.. there’s a cruise ship docked and people were returning to the ship. almost everyone stopped to ask questions about her. The main one was- is she part wolf? if a person didn’t ask me that, they would ask me if she was a German shepherd and then proceed to say, I heard about them but never seen one.
(yes she was born black and her parents were both blacks... she’s the only one out of the litter with this much tan... seems to have finally tapered off the tan now at 6 years old. She’s currently focusing on her little grey chin now 😂)

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
She's a very pretty dog! But I'd call that bi-color myself...

Unique though, because my understanding is that 2 blacks can only produce blacks? You got lucky!

·
Registered
6 Posts

Unique though, because my understanding is that 2 blacks can only produce blacks? You got lucky!
If I didn’t know her parents I would have said a bicolour too. I believe shes the only one with this much tan out of All the siblings from several litters as this was a repeated breeding too.. I’m still in touch with the breeder and she’s always surprised by the amount of tan she has. Started on her toes and went upwards and more obvious.
this is her at four/five months old.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts

My black female, Lex, developed brown streaks on her legs starting at age two. Not patches, just streaks. Looked like lightening bolts going down her front legs. Only one in the line that I saw like that.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Your dog is not part wolf, just a light eyed GSD. With cute ears!
Actually it is widely believed that all GSD are part wolf after some man tried to ’advance’ the breed in like early 1900’s or late 1800’s. I sometimes like to think that my pup is part wolf.

·
Registered
122 Posts
"Do you have some more photos of your pup? That long light-colored mane contrasting with the dark nose and eyes is awesome."

He's difficult to photograph because he won't sit still. I'll take him out later (to brush him aahhhhgain) and see what I can do. I did find a perfect 'twin' on the Internet:

The one in the photo IS a wolf hybrid which explains why we thought it a good idea to get a DNA test. I'm hoping they find a birth date. When he runs across the yard with all that hair bouncing he reminds you of a cover of a romance novel <G> Attached is a side view of Duke.

I'm still working on my photo posting skills so ignore the chaos.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 52 Posts