German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since I always get the "What kind of dog is that???" I'm convinced mine is part to some degree...wolf. Someone else commented to me today about my dog looking like a wolf. Would appreciate if anyone else has a amber-eyed GSD they could post.

She's also really really big. She has grown a bit since I last posted a picture.

Thanks

WOLF...................................................................................................MY DOG

WOLF COAT

MY GSD COAT

·
Super Moderator
6,968 Posts
If she’s 1/64th timber wolf... other members posting photos of their amber eyed dogs won’t change that.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All I do know is I'm tired of answering that she is GSD. I get a lot of "Are you sure?" and all that. Honestly 8 out of 10 people tell me that she is not GSD, and this occurs all the time almost daily...lol.

Maybe I'm just going to start saying she is mixed with wolf.

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
Yeah, forget what I said! LOL! I didn't realize you had posted 2 different animals for comparison...

Your dog looks GSD to me, no mix.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
All I do know is I'm tired of answering that she is GSD. I get a lot of "Are you sure?" and all that. Honestly 8 out of 10 people tell me that she is not GSD, and this occurs all the time almost daily...lol.

She has soft ears and she is a sable. That is why you get asked. Nothing about your dog says wolf to me.

·
Registered
31,348 Posts
She's a sable GSD. You are going to get asked questions for the rest of her life and it has nothing to do with eyes and everything to do with people not being familiar with sable german shepherds.

Light eyes are not uncommon but they are against the standard. Its obviously in the breed if the put it in the standard.

·
Premium Member
11,210 Posts

And that can get you in trouble with Animal Control depending on where you live!!! In many areas, you would need a special permit to keep a wolf hybrid!!!! Amber or light eyes do NOT mean it is part wolf.........look at my avatar photo...her eyes were not deep brown (she produced pups with dark brown eyes)...her sire had gold eyes and he received a V rating in Germany - when working dogs were NEVER given a V rating (V means excellent in conformation, normally reserved for showline dogs)...pictured is V Xito v d Maineiche, Sch3, KKL1

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice looking dogs above everyone.

Also went to do some research and someone just yesterday on Reddit posted a similar topic.

https://www.reddit.com/r/germanshepherds/comments/gepi06
Here are some peoples replies saying about how their GSDs are part-wolf too:

He has similar markings as my GSD mix that I rescued and has the same wolf look as mine. Mines 25 percent Grey wolf which we found out after the fact. He's a good looking dog, congrats!

Definitely not a coyote if he's huge, but it's very possible that he's got some sort of wild canid DNA. My guy showed 33%

how did you determine that wolf content? If you use a rounded number like 25%, I'm inclined to believe you used Wisdom Panel, which is regarded as a bad product in general, but is specifically unable to determine Wild Canines. You'd want to use Embark to determine wolf content, and they actually give you a real percentage breakdown of your dog, as opposed to rounded e8ths.

They use some DNA test called Embark. Here is an example of a "wolfdog hybrid"

·
Registered
31,348 Posts
Nice looking dogs above everyone.

Also went to do some research and someone just yesterday on Reddit posted a similar topic.

https://www.reddit.com/r/germanshepherds/comments/gepi06
Here are some peoples replies saying about how their GSDs are part-wolf too:

He has similar markings as my GSD mix that I rescued and has the same wolf look as mine. Mines 25 percent Grey wolf which we found out after the fact. He's a good looking dog, congrats!

Definitely not a coyote if he's huge, but it's very possible that he's got some sort of wild canid DNA. My guy showed 33%

how did you determine that wolf content? If you use a rounded number like 25%, I'm inclined to believe you used Wisdom Panel, which is regarded as a bad product in general, but is specifically unable to determine Wild Canines. You'd want to use Embark to determine wolf content, and they actually give you a real percentage breakdown of your dog, as opposed to rounded e8ths.

They use some DNA test called Embark. Here is an example of a "wolfdog hybrid"

If you think your dog has wolf in her, then by all means test. You do seem fairly convinced of that even though, if I remember correctly, you know her breeder and her pedigree and she's AKC registered.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you think your dog has wolf in her, then by all means test. You do seem fairly convinced of that even though, if I remember correctly, you know her breeder and her pedigree and she's AKC registered.

Well I've mentioned that to she has papers to many people but they still say that doesn't necessarily mean that something outside of the line wasn't recorded. I'm keeping her either way but I'm tired of always saying she is GSD and then getting looks from people like I'm crazy.

And this all stems from if you have a weird-looking dog...people will go out of their way to ask you what kind of dog it is. Its pretty often that when I'm walking her people will ask out of their car windows.

·
Super Moderator
6,968 Posts
My first GSD (not the dog pictured below) was a tall lanky short coated bi color. Many people, including myself, had never seen a GSD with her coloring before and were convinced she was part Doberman. The internet was still new. I searched high and low to find other examples of purebreds with this coloring and used to keep printed copies with me. 17yrs old, feeling I needed to be armed with “proof” and also probably still trying to convince myself as well. I pulled the papers out and was still met with disbelief. It began to feel silly. My dog was a GSD, just like the sables and the whites and the solid blacks and the long coats and the reversed masks and the soft ears and the gay tails and the livers and blues and light eyes and the 50 pounders and the white spotting genes etc etc. You, nor I, or any of us are responsible for other people’s ignorance.

Even if your dog is a speck of wolf, chances are her eyes and coat color still came from her GSD ancestors.

4F11524D-2E78-4250-9168-46FDE62A0AC7.jpeg

·
Registered
31,348 Posts
Well I've mentioned that to she has papers to many people but they still say that doesn't necessarily mean that something outside of the line wasn't recorded. I'm keeping her either way but I'm tired of always saying she is GSD and then getting looks from people like I'm crazy.

And this all stems from if you have a weird-looking dog...people will go out of their way to ask you what kind of dog it is. Its pretty often that when I'm walking her people will ask out of their car windows.

I would hope you would keep her. I don't think anyone questioned that. I don't think anyone here thinks she's "weird looking".

You might as well get used to it. She's a soft eared sable. People with black GSD's get questioned to. I get questioned constantly on my sable (who has dark eyes) and i get questioned on my female who at the bottom of standard size wise. I was questioned on my last GSD who was a blanket back. You have a dog that is NOT a saddle backed German Shepherd.

You just smile and tell them she's AKC registered, sable GSD and move on. I don't even break pace when someone asks a question most of the time. Or you can spend $150 to run a DNA test if you feel you need to prove something that is already proven to strangers that mean nothing to you. But it sounds to me like you really just need to not let people get in your head over this.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
water dog.jpg

I have this, and people still ask me what she is mixed with. I ignore them. I am not responsible for other peoples foolishness.
But since you seem to want your dog to be something else do whatever makes you happy.
I think she is a pretty girl who is just a sable GSD.

·
Registered
400 Posts

Oh and just for the record I also get the “are you sure?” Bc she’s “small”. She’s a 60-65lb female at 11months old. Well within standard. Just shows you how accustomed people are to the overweight imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 52 Posts