German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31,797 Posts
If you want to be sure he's a purebred, then buy from a breeder. He looks purebred but that's just a guess. Some working lines have a boxier head. More importantly, he looks like a good dog.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
If you are "adopting" him why does it matter? He looks like a nice dog, has a sweet expression and appears in good shape. Nothing else should matter.
If your not gonna answer the question that the title is stating don’t post on my thread. Adopting or not if still like to know what breed of dog will be in my home around my other dogs

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
There is no way to answer your question accurately without seeing a pedigree, which you won't have because you are adopting..which is a great thing to do.

You can always buy a DNA kit once you have him home to satisfy your curiosity.

If you are set on only getting a purebred, you are going to need to go to a reputable breeder. He looks PB, but no way to be sure.

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
If your not gonna answer the question that the title is stating don’t post on my thread. Adopting or not if still like to know what breed of dog will be in my home around my other dogs
Love the attitude. Let me know how that works out for you. Dog you are looking at is what I would refer to as GSD type, which is a polite way of saying it looks like a GSD but who knows.
As someone else mentioned, some working lines have pretty thick heads, literally and figuratively.

·
Registered
5,866 Posts
He looks like one to me -- if we saw him in a shelter and he had a nice temperament, breed rescue would probably pull him as a GSD.

Here's my thought: If it's in a shelter or rescue and looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and is speutered so it can't reproduce like a duck, call it a duck! If paperwork saying it's a duck would make you feel better, send a picture and $50 registration fee to the Continental Kennel Club, and they'll put him in their "looks like a duck" registry, for whatever that's worth. https://ckcusa.com/media/144366/paw-registration-application-web.pdf

OTOH, if you're paying some breeder serious money for a "purebred" dog without a pedigree, you might reconsider and pause to wonder why they don't have proper paperwork...and what else they're missing.

·
Registered
31,797 Posts
Agree with Maggie. He does look like a duck. But a nice one.

Reactions: Aly

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I would like to see his head and body from the side.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
No one can answer that question by looking at a picture. It's only a guess. You'd have to do a DNA test to be sure.

I adopted a puppy that looked pb/high content GSD. Genetic testing showed that she is high content GSD. She is NOT PB. I was curious and it was fun. It makes no difference to me. My girl is a gem.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
why not ?

I would say yes - nice dog -- "olde" style black and tan -- looks like old herding stock -
I have some dogs in mind , including my own from Bernd/Marko crosses .

will try to get you some dogs as examples.

what we have now with the saddle backs and the eye popping reds is viewed as traditional black
and tan - but goes back to the early 70's .

·
Registered
118 Posts
I saw your query concerning the breeding of your female from last year. I also saw your earlier post stating you were purchasing this boy. I am hoping and praying your are not considering breeding. As the guardian of a rescued SHEPHERD (not shepard) who is a soup of genetic defects, please reconsider, if that is your intent. If it's not, I apologize in advance.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You can always do a DNA test. They are not very expenise. He looks pure, but if your adopting, you never know. Best way to find a purebred-go to a breeder

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm a breeder for over 10 years i breed the best gsd they been over the years rescue dog and drug dog and service dogs i even had a few went to the army for bomb dogs so i also sold a few for pets i own 6 gsd of my own they stay in the house with me and my husband so I absolutely loved the breed i had people dog me down but oh well i love them and i know exactly where my pups goes

1 - 14 of 14 Posts