German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

We just adopted a new dog. The foster mom said she thought she was either a very poor breed of German Shepherd or a German Shepherd/Wild dog (coyote/wolf) mix. I looked up some "Coydogs" and she does have some resemblances. She is not shy, she loves to play and is very energetic. The only time she whines is if she is put in her crate and shes someone walking around. Then she wants out, however she has really stopped doing that for the most part after only having her for a couple of days. We started the training process ASAP! She is a very very fast learner. Very smart girl. My wife and I took her on a walk the other night and she was kind of pulling. I spent 15 minutes teaching her how to walk properly and she got it. The next day I took her out again and she didn't mess up once. She is a tad stubborn though. The humane society put her at 2, but the shelter said she is probably more along the lines of 1 - 1.5. The only thing as of now that we are having trouble with is she keeps nipping at our older Shepherd/Husky mix. I am sure she is just wanting to play, but we really need that to stop like NOW! Anyways, please help me with what you think she may be mixed with! Thanks! (Please disregard the mess, we just moved in!)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
There is a DNA kit you can get. I understand it is quit simple to use.

This boy is from a hording situation. The rescue I help has been working hard with him to get him used to people, he has a lot of traits of a coydog and some of the dogs he was rescued with do the coyote chatter. The rescue sent out the DNA test sample.

Turns out he is Cardigan Welsh Corgi mixed with Chinook, German Shepherd, and Australian Cattle Dog. I would never would have pegged that mix in a million years.

They also have 3 little female puppies who we were told were German Shepherd mixes...

This little girl

Not a hint of Shepherd in her. :) Mostly Boston Terrier/Boxer mix..

My guess for your little girl would be Shepherd/Huskie or Malamute mix but so far I'm totally striking out on the guesses. LOL

·
Registered
766 Posts
you could order a mixed breed test (or purebreed test) on Amazon or petsmart. It's like 60 on amazon for the mixed breed test and 50 for the purebreed test on amazon and petsmart only carries the purebreed test for 90 dollars. :) Good luck!

and Shepherdmom the first pup I could totally see cattle dog mixed with that ;) he's cute.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Guys please keep in mind DNA kits ARE NOT ACCURATE!!! They are a waste of money if you want serious answers. If you feel like spending $60+ on one for the fun of it, go ahead.

I see GSD but I couldn't tell you what else.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I was thinking GSD/Malamute.

Yeah, those DNA things are silly, IMHO. The breeder whom my dogs' dam came from did a DNA test for S&G's on one of her dogs. You wouldn't believe some of the things that came back as being in the dog! I don't trust them as far as I can throw them.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I see lots of GSD and I'm not sure about what else either. I did do the DNA test on mine and I feel it was accurate. Mine came back Samoyed, Old English Sheepdog, and lab. She has the structure of the Samoyed, the temperament of the lab, and the fur of the old english sheepdog:)

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/images/attach/jpg.gif

Attachments

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
you could order a mixed breed test (or purebreed test) on Amazon or petsmart. It's like 60 on amazon for the mixed breed test and 50 for the purebreed test on amazon and petsmart only carries the purebreed test for 90 dollars. :) Good luck!

and Shepherdmom the first pup I could totally see cattle dog mixed with that ;) he's cute.

He is totally a doll. I've finally got him to the point where he will sit next to me and take treat and be petted. He will allow us to get a leash on and off of him but he won't go anywhere on it. But from a dog that wouldn't approach us at all to sitting there taking treats and letting me pet him is still huge progress.

Kzoppa why are they not accurate?? It was my understanding that DNA wasn't wrong?

·
Registered
31,796 Posts
I see a poorly pigmented GSD. DNA tests aren't terribly reliable. while they may be fun, I wouldn't use it to actually determine mix. She's beautiful. :) Just enjoy her!

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Those tests have come back as odd mixes on purebred dogs plenty of times.

And they always come back with rare and expensive breeds of dogs that I doubt are "mixing" to produce mutts. Think common when you think mixes. GSD x husky, GSD x rott, GSD x lab, etc.

Which is the more accurate color - picture 1 or the rest?

The first maybe a husky gsd mix as that is very common but I am more inclined to just say purebred GSD.......

·
Registered
9,777 Posts
There is a DNA kit you can get. I understand it is quit simple to use.

This little girl

Not a hint of Shepherd in her. :) Mostly Boston Terrier/Boxer mix..

LOL
I am beginning to think those kits are a scam. There is no way that that dog is a boxer /Boston terrier mix . No way.

·
Banned
363 Posts
When thinking about the DNA test kits, it's important to remember that most breeds are mixes of mixes, concentrated to meet desired characteristics..... so when the results of the test come back with a mix of random breeds, you need to consider, what are the chances those breeds were used in formulating the breed you *think* your dog is, 100 years ago?

·
Banned
377 Posts
Why is he grey in the first picture and brown in the others. Did you have a filter on?
He looks like mostly shepherd with some malamute or husky mix with those markings and straight legs.
Thank you for rescuing him.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I am beginning to think those kits are a scam. There is no way that that dog is a boxer /Boston terrier mix . No way.
Oh there is lots of other stuff mixed in. Those were the main two....

Min poodle, border collie, italian greyhound. No Shepherd though and to be honest having spent some time with these puppies, other than the color they don't seem shepherd at all. I think the shelter just had them mislabeled. They have the cutest little short legs...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the replies! I guess she decided tonight to tear up her new bed we bought for her to lay on inside of her crate! Guess we have another thing to work on!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Why is he grey in the first picture and brown in the others. Did you have a filter on?
He looks like mostly shepherd with some malamute or husky mix with those markings and straight legs.
Thank you for rescuing him.

I'm not really sure. My sister 'n law took these photos for me while I was at work on her iPhone. She is way less gray in person than she is in the odd picture. I would say the other pictures are more of what she looks like, but with a tad of gray mixed in.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
I highly doubt there is any wolf or coyote in your dog. She could be a poorly-bred GSD, but it's just as likely that she's a mix with husky or something else domestic. She actually reminds me of an Alaskan Husky, which itself is a mix of breeds.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts