German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30,390 Posts
I'm trying to understand line breeding and whats acceptable

and also what Writes and Hardimans % is and L 3-4 etc etc...

Is there a good article somewhere or info on all this?

a short explanation in laymans terms would be cool too...

Thanks.
The numbers
2-3 (2nd dog in the top(sire) and 3rd dog in the bottom (dam))
4-5 (that's not an "L" in the chart - it's a tab)
ect.
give the placement of that dog in the pedigree. So when you look at the overall chart you will find Xara in the 2nd and 3rd generation.

Wright's and Hardiman's are inbreeding coefficients based on the probability of passing genes.
https://bloodlines.net/highflyer/coefficient.htm

The closest Germany allows for line breeding is 2-3. Maybe 3-3.

·
Registered
50 Posts
How common is line breeding in German shepherds? Line breeding 3-4 and higher has a low coefficient. I’m curious if any breeders can comment on how often traits, desirable or undesirable, typically occur that are linked to such breedings.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
How common is line breeding in German shepherds? Line breeding 3-4 and higher has a low coefficient. I’m curious if any breeders can comment on how often traits, desirable or undesirable, typically occur that are linked to such breedings.
Showlines tend to have more line breeding than the working line dogs.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks...

Honestly this is hard to grasp but I'm starting to understand it.

I really wasn't aware of this line breeding.... I discovered some familiar names this morning while researching a litter...

and thought I discovered some funky business... In my mind... i guess I thought that this was verboten ...

I looked up my females heritage and her father had NO line breeding within 5 generations... mother was very minimal.

somehow this made me feel better...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts