German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:laugh:

Sometimes I find our puppy watching the tv intently. He would be lying down quietly and then some intense scene like Bruce transforming into Hulk and I would catch him staring at the tv.

So can dogs see tv? ON a lighter note, I would imagine the possibilites are endless if they actually can watch tv. A lot of basic manners lessons from Prof Barkey. :D

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I think they just hear the sounds and see the movement so it catches their attention.

Years ago I remember a study asking about dogs actually being able to watch and comprehend tv and I think the study concluded they couldn't, but apparently cat brains are "fast" enough to understand tv. Maybe they were proven wrong later on but it was a interesting study.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Oh too bad. I was planning to make him watch barney.
:rofl: You wouldn't... ;) He might go on a hunger strike! :D

·
Registered
87 Posts
I would argue with the study.

Both my English Cocker's, who are champion hunters, love to watch Animal Planet and hunting shows.

Even without sound they will watch the action on TV and react to it as if they were in the field.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I don't think they watch tv the way we do.

However, a few years ago my family and I rescued two puppy Chihuahua mixes from the side of the road. We kept them for a few weeks until we could find homes for them. My parents chocolate lab Cooper had a lot of fun playing with them and we recorded them a few times. A few months later we had family over and we were watching some home movies and one of their play sessions came up. Cooper immediately jumped up and ran to the tv. He stared at it, looked all around it, tried to jump up and touch it. He obviously recognized their barks and was looking all over for them. It was both sweet and heartbreaking at the same time. That was the one and only time he has ever reacted to anything on tv.

My puppy Jade will stare at the tv if she hears barking dogs, and will bark like crazy if she hears a doorbell on tv.

·
Registered
14,028 Posts
My dogs KNOW when a dog is on the TV. They will jump up and start barking at just the image of the dog.

They lay there and growl at horses or cows or sheep or any other animal but if it's a dog - they bark like crazy.

Even with no sound!

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
Tuke watches the canucks games with me. Something about the movement I guess, she'll watch fairly intently at times.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
My bc/aussie girl intently watched the entire movie "Benji the Hunted". She sat up straight and her ears went up and down as she watched the action. That was about 20 years ago and she never watched TV as intently again in her long life.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Riley definitely watches TV... not just by sound! I read recently that advances in TV technology have actually transformed the way dogs experience TV image from when it was tube technology.

Below, is a photo I took of Riley at a hotel we stayed the night at... the only thing missing for Riley was Room Service : )

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Lisl watches TV with me all the time.

Last night we watched a show about dogs on History 2. Modern Marvels.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Riley definitely watches TV... not just by sound! I read recently that advances in TV technology have actually transformed the way dogs experience TV image from when it was tube technology.

Below, is a photo I took of Riley at a hotel we stayed the night at... the only thing missing for Riley was Room Service : )

lol. I'm sure he can get used to that!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts