German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
It won't cause dyspepsia (indigestion) nor will it cause hip dysplasia.:D
I'm not sure about time limits with fetch, probably just like everything else, moderation with any activity for pups. Do you play on grass?

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I think running and playing ball cannot hurt the pup if the surface is forgiving but jumping in the air and sliding and slamming into things can. Best to throw the ball long and low where she won't leap up in the air to grab it.

Not so much time limits but don't let her overheat. He may not limit himself.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I think running and playing ball cannot hurt the pup if the surface is forgiving but jumping in the air and sliding and slamming into things can. Best to throw the ball long and low where she won't leap up in the air to grab it.

Not so much time limits but don't let her overheat. He may not limit himself.
:thumbup: You took the words right out of my mouth :)

Play smart and safe and you'll both have a great time :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
When I first got my puppy I worried a lot about this too. From what I understand it is unlikely that you could cause serious hip issues, even from being on hard surfaces. It would only exaggerate an underlying issue. Just let the puppy lead the way and go at its own pace and you will be fine. The rule that I follow for pups is to let them set the pace and duration. When he seems to slow down give him a break from play. My dog would pass out before stoping a game of ball/tug:laugh:. Just watch for signs of exhaustion and stop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts