German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any way to protect lawn frm dog digging and peeing(burning) on it?
share you experience!
thanks!

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
So many great suggestions on the attatched link. I have been side track but getting the seeds that were mentioned. I added water to the food and felt that helped a bit. I still wish they had remote control sprinklers when the dogs pee outside. As for digging you just have to watch and redirect the dog’s attention before it comes into a deep habit.
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=746689

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
Griff enjoys taking bites out of the dormant lawn and brings the sods happily to me. It currently looks like a moonscape. I have given up and don't care. Will put mulch over it when the rain starts. There are more things to worry about like getting him through adolescence. He threw in the towel this morning but we are back on track again.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
With multiple dogs, I've never seen a lawn survive, at least if the dogs are allowed to run and play and dig and be dogs. I suppose it might be possible if you don't let them have any fun outside. Even a game a fetch tears up grass when they dig their feet in to push off. Mine even has a "track" that they wore down around the perimeter where they all run as a pack to chase squirrels when they see them on phone lines or in tree tops. Short of hard-scaping their "track" with stones or brick, there's not much that can be done to save the grass there. I've given up. I'll throw some grass seed down in spring and rejuvenate it, until they tear it up again.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
IMG249.jpg

At one point this yard had 5 dogs in it. This photo was taken the first summer after we moved in and the only notable damage was where previous tenants had piled a bunch of trash.
Diligent watering and proper mowing, not to short, are the only lawn care I do. No chemicals allowed. It often looked a bit rough in the spring as the steep slope helped the dogs use it as a slide but by summer it looked like a park.

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
View attachment 509615

At one point this yard had 5 dogs in it. This photo was taken the first summer after we moved in and the only notable damage was where previous tenants had piled a bunch of trash.
Diligent watering and proper mowing, not to short, are the only lawn care I do. No chemicals allowed. It often looked a bit rough in the spring as the steep slope helped the dogs use it as a slide but by summer it looked like a park.
Nice dog and nice lawn! Griff would have pulled out all these solar cell lamps in a heartbeat. I will wait a few more years with reinstalling a lawn, just like getting new couches or fancy dog beds.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Nice dog and nice lawn! Griff would have pulled out all these solar cell lamps in a heartbeat. I will wait a few more years with reinstalling a lawn, just like getting new couches or fancy dog beds.
Those solar lights lasted one summer! Lol. The dogs did not intentionally bother them but kept smashing into them while speed trialing around the yard. Fortunately I had the foresight to stick with plastic so no injuries occurred.
The dog in the pic is my guy, Bud at around 11? I believe. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
32,038 Posts
Fencing it off is the only surefire way to preserve a nice lawn, IMO. Or any other kind of nice yard. We have a separately fenced dog run down the side of our house, and our dogs are only in the other part of the yard when we're out there too, and can supervise.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
The nice thing about all my males is once they start lifting their legs to mark they usually have only ever gone on trees in the yard and not the foliage. We also have a little spot in the yard with sand for digging and he's been great about not digging anywhere else 🙂. Lucky too he doesn't like to poop in his space so he will try to wait until we go for a walk. Ive found the raw fed dog poop doesn't smell as strong as kibble fed either, so if he does go no big deal! When guests come by they always comment on how lovely the flowers smell :) . We don't use any chemicals in the yard for his sake.. The only issue I have is he really likes to eat my mulberry tree and mulberries.... and only when he thinks I'm not looking LOL!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
For pee burn, I used to keep a full watering can near the back door, and would water the spot immediately after my dog peed, it worked. His first (big) pee in the morning is done 'off site' on his morning walk. You could train him to pee in one area.

My major lawn damage is along the side of the house where we play frisbee. I've put sugar cane mulch down to help with the dust. I want to put something down that wont give him friction burn, splinters, or breed mould, mildew or insects. I've thought about artificial turf, but in my sub-tropical climate I think it could get too hot in summer. My dog weighs close to 95lbs and with his hard braking when playing, I suspect artificial turf would eventually roll up like a hallway rug.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Has anyone else noticed that higher protein kibble makes the dog's urine more deadly for the lawn? The worst I've seen was while using a high protein (several meat and other sources), grain free kibble. Since it's supposedly the nitrogen doing the damage (a breakdown product of protein), it makes sense that excess protein produces higher concentrations of grass killing nitrogen. I would google it, but since it's not a problem for us anymore, and I'm busy with a puppy, just take this as anecdotal personal experience.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I've givin up on the spots. 80% of the time, we take her across the street to a grassy spot the HOA maintains. All the money they get can maintain urine spots. I had these biscuit treats that claimed to work, but after a week of giving her one a day, I heard they are terrible for her kidneys so stopped.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I dug up all my mulch beds and put pond stone down. It is mildly rounded and the perfect size to find balance between stray pebble foot assassin and large ankle rollers lol It drains great, keeps the weeds away, poops stand out on it (literally). Digging is mostly training no matter what you have down.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts