German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day l put zoey in her pen ( outside ) while l ran some errands. It has been rainy the last few days. But it eas not raining when I put her out. I was gone for about 11/2 hrs. While I was gone it started raining again.she was out in it for about 20 mins. Before I got back I let her in and dried her off. Later that afternoon she developed a cough. It's not all the time.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I don't know about if dogs can get a cold, and 20 minutes in the rain shouldn't hurt her and you did towel her off but it could be an allergy or something else. Also I would get a some kind of shelter for her pen - once of those igloo type dog houses would work. It is hard to predict the weather and sudden storms happen like a thunderstorm or hail, she should have shelter. If I were you, and she still is coughing on Monday - I would call the vet.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just put up the pen for her. I haven't got a shelter for her yet. But your right I definatly need to get that done. The reason I worry is yes she does have allergies but she also has a weakened immune system ( that's what the vet said anyway) due to almost being starved to death sje was down to 25lbs it took a lot of tlc but for the most part she's doing good. But zoey is not as resistant to a lot of little things that most dogs handle just fine. I think i got lucky though her cough seems just about gone. I am going to have to be more careful. Thanks for trying to help though. Does anyone out there know if dogs get colds??

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Yes. They can catch a cold and I'm talking besides Kennel Cough and all the other little nasties. My first dog would get one every couple of years. He looked just like a human with a cold; snotty nose, runny eyes, slightly off his feed, a bit grumpy, cough, and sneezing. Every time, we'd rush him off to the vet and every time the vet would give him a once over and give us a prescription to give him lots of love and a bowl of homemade chicken soup or light broth. We were told every time that it was just a cold. Within 3-5 days, he'd perk up and be his normal self. Finn got one right after we moved to MD, but he had a nasty case of Gastroenteritis that lasted for what seemed like forever, but was barely a week before he was completely back to normal and the cold hit not even two weeks after that. The vet told us it was just a cold and his momentarily weakened immune system couldn't fight it. He was fine in a week or so.

I would take the pup to the vet to make sure it isn't Pneumonia, KC, or Canine Influenza, but yes, they can get a "cold". I was always told lots of rest, quiet, and low light. (first dog's vet swore dogs could get headaches and become slightly light sensitive. Not sure if it's true, but Sebastian did seem more comfortable when he was in a low light room and the same went for Finn.) Also light, system easy meals like broth with chicken, boiled ground beef in rice, sweet potatoes to help with troubled bowels, and stuff like that should help your pup to come around after the all clear from a vet.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Glad I could help. :)

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I've never had a dog catch a cold nor have personally known anyone whose dog/s have had one ... I know they can get pneumonia, allergies, etc.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I think my dogs have colds right now. It really freaked me out. I have never seen it before. Cloey was coughing and making a gagging noise and Barkley was snorting and licking his nose a lot. I took them to the vet and they sounded and felt ok. They are both doing better today and now Kaleb has a snotty nose and making the gagging sound. If he's not better tomorrow we go back to the vet.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
I hope Zoey will be fine! Dogs can catch colds, but they can't catch human colds, and I don't think that people can catch dog colds.

Keeta had a cold when I got her from the shelter - coughing, sneezing, greenish mucus dripping from her nose - but to be fair, she didn't have any of these symptoms at the shelter, they developed a couple of days later. She was fine otherwise, eating well, normal energy - it took about a month for her cold to clear up, kept her home and didn't expose her to other dogs during that time.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I hope Zoey will be fine! Dogs can catch colds, but they can't catch human colds, and I don't think that people can catch dog colds.

Keeta had a cold when I got her from the shelter - coughing, sneezing, greenish mucus dripping from her nose - but to be fair, she didn't have any of these symptoms at the shelter, they developed a couple of days later. She was fine otherwise, eating well, normal energy - it took about a month for her cold to clear up, kept her home and didn't expose her to other dogs during that time.
I'm trying not to panic. The puppy's symptoms are worse than my other dogs were. When he gags a small amount of clear fluid comes up. I'm going to try to get him to the vet first thing tomorrow. That gagging noise is like a knife through my heart every time. It brings back Riley memories of his last few days... :(...I'm sure the ouppy will recover, but I don't want to take any chances. Why are vets closed on Sundays?

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Sorry, I got the original post and your mixed up and thought your pup was Zoey - (Zoey, Chloey - confusing!).

Glad that your other dog seem okay - a healthy dog should be able to shake off a cold as the two older ones did - but for your pup, go with your gut and do update on how it went.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Kaleb refused his lunch and water. He was just sleeping all day and coughing, snorting and had a snotty nose. He usually loves his food and has very high energy. I had to take him to the emergency vet. So, he has kennel cough. He had been vaccinated for it, but I guess there are different stains.

I really lucked out. The vet who saw us loves GSD's (he has two and grew up with them), is familiar with the breeder I got him from and was really nice. I'm really glad I brought him to the emergency vet. He was given two shots and we have meds for him now. :)

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Kaleb is doing so much better today. He's eating, drinking, wanting to run around (we have to keep him quiet still) and breathing better. I'm so glad I went last night and he's had such an improvement already. The emergency vet didn't cost anymore than my regular vet would. That was surprising and appreciated. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts