German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most everything I have been trying to find out about Meningitis, says it is mostly an autoimmune condition.

Does anyone know if it can be hereditary? Any personal experience with Meningitis with your dogs, and if so, do you know if any close relatives in the blood line were diagnosed with Meningitis also, making one believe that it can be hereditary?

Thanks for any and all information you can share.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
One of my favorite sites:
http://www.upei.ca/cidd/Diseases/nervous%20system%20disorders/meningitis.htm

"Meningitis means inflammation of the meninges, which are the membranes that line the brain and spinal cord. Most cases of meningitis are due to bacterial or viral infection. Some forms occur in specific breeds however, and are believed to have an inherited basis. This may be because of a genetically determined abnormality of the immune system."

I didn't even realize dogs got meningitis-how scary.

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
Me either. I can't imagine Rocky getting as sick as my son was last year and he just had viral meningitis.

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My Newfy was sent to the bridge 1 week before his 3rd birthday. We spent thousands of dollars on tests. He had ongoing neurological problems since he arrived in my home at 10 weeks old. They found brain swelling, and through the many tests, believed he had Meningitis, but it is a hard thing to actually diagnose.

I always believed that as a 7 week old pup, he was injured on the breeders property, because a tornado hit their house, and the run that the pups were in was damaged, plus over 50 huge trees were down. One puppy in the litter was killed. so I always felt that perhaps my pup was hit, but not hard enough to see any outward signs, besides just being a clumsy newf, until he never grew out of the clumsiness, and realized something else was wrong.

My point in asking this, is his uncle was recently diagnosed with Meningitis, and is exhibiting the same behavior as my pup did, including times of rage, which my pup did also.

So, trying to see if anyone has had any experience in it.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss.

Tick diseases ( and I'm sure other weird diseases we don't know aboutay can be passed on from mother to pup and they can cause meningitis. I personally believe so can a susceptibility to vaccines, and this can be a side effect from vaccines.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts