German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read on here I can give my pups fish oil for humans. Can I also give them kids vitamins? Like those flinstones? Or the gummy bears with omega? Thx. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Fish oil is fine, but I would not give other multi-vitamins until checking with your vet. There are some ingredients that in human doses can be toxic to dogs.

·
Registered
159 Posts
For example...(from an internet search)

You should generally not give supplements to your dogs unless you are an expert in canine nutrition or have been advised to do so by your doctor. Human vitamins can contain a number of additives for color, flavor or binding that is safe for human consumption, but unsafe for pets. Additionally, multivitamins can contain supplements that are toxic to dogs. Vitamins containing iron, for instance, can cause damage to the lining of your dog's digestive system, and may even cause liver or kidney damage. Human vitamins are also formulated for the average weight of a human, which is often much greater than the average dog. As a result, the quantity of supplements in a human vitamin may be much greater than a dog's system can handle, forcing the liver and kidneys to work to filter these excess supplements. Pet food is often formulated to contain all the nutrients a dog needs, and excess supplements from vitamins may overload a dog's system, even if given in very small quantities.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I am no expert, but I'd say 'No".
Dogs most likely have different vitamin and mineral ratios compared to humans.
Your dog's food should be nutritionally complete and balanced.
Dogs make their own vitamin C, so additional from human vitamins should not be needed.
I personally would not take any of the vitamins you mentioned.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
K. Just the fish oil. I found some vitamins online for dogs. But I am going to wait and see what vet says.

One more thing.

I have been feeding my three pups blue for large breed puppies. They are doing great on it. But expensive. Today I decided to get the usual $60 bag of blue along with the big bag of authority for large breed puppies. I mixed about a little less than half of the authority in with the full bag of blue. What do y'all think? I just need to make it last a little longer than two weeks or less. Thx.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts