German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been taking him out for walks and then read something about how dangerous it is to take him out before his second vaccinations?

What am i supposed to do?

If I'm not supposed to walk him yet, how do i socialize and how do i burn off his energy?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Most every vet is going to tell you that to socialize him, invite people over, and expose him to as many different things in your home and yard as you can. Vacuum cleaners, hair dryers, kids playing, baths, birds hopping around, cats, cardboard boxes and paper bags to play in, kiddie pool filled with balls or other toys... Anything you can think of to have him hear, feel, climb on and safely interact with.

He won't need a bunch of walking yet. He can burn off energy with play, and basic training is mental stimulation which also will tire a dog out! Sit, down and stay are great, and you can also begin "watch me".

Socialization to many people doesn't mean "go out an interact with people" so much as it means "expose the puppy to new sights and sounds and teach him to pretty much accept those things as background stimuli while focusing on YOU". I also did a lot of environmental socialization locally, which meant exposing my pup to different surface textures (mud, snow, grass, sand, rocky soil, climbing on logs, light exposure to stairs, etc).

In full disclosure I did take my guy out to places where there was not heavy people/dog traffic, BUT there was sure to be deer and raccoon/possum around so I had to be careful and watch him so he wouldn't eat poop if it was on the ground, and I had to try and keep him from drinking out of puddles. I also had to take some ticks off of him afterward. I live in a suburban area with some open spaces nearby so I felt I could balance his health with some environmental exposure. Had I lived in an urban environment, I would not have done this. Too many city people are anti-vax with their dogs. I didn't even take my pup to the little downtown area until he had several rounds of his shots.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Call the vet offices in your area and ask them how many parvo cases, etc. they have seen lately. My area it isn't super prevalent and the vets hadn't seen any cases recently so I took my dog out but not to places where many dogs went. We went to the University where he got to meet a lot of kids, the local garden store, etc.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Call the vet offices in your area and ask them how many parvo cases, etc. they have seen lately. My area it isn't super prevalent and the vets hadn't seen any cases recently so I took my dog out but not to places where many dogs went. We went to the University where he got to meet a lot of kids, the local garden store, etc.
okay I will call and ask!

·
Registered
646 Posts
I erred on the side of caution and didn't take my pup on walks or anywhere until she was 19wks

Only time she was out was to go to the bathroom and at my in-laws

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I erred on the side of caution and didn't take my pup on walks or anywhere until she was 19wks

Only time she was out was to go to the bathroom and at my in-laws
What did you do to burn off her energy? I find mines never tired.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
NO do not take an 8 week old for walks.

he needs to know his home, find and understand and bond with "his" family

he needs lots of rest - and quiet sleep

he isn't physically fit for distance "forced march" , not his lungs, not his heart, not his
muscles , not his ligaments , and not the immune which has faced and will face more
challenges as he is "processed" with veterinary care .

he has at 8 weeks left home , new routine, new food , different water , and expectations

let him rumble around the yard , choose his activity , usually in fits and starts , run , jump,
walk -- wtop , lie down , without social pressures or unwanted visits from sketchy dogs

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

he isn't physically fit for distance "forced march" , not his lungs, not his heart, not his
muscles , not his ligaments , and not the immune which has faced and will face more

he has at 8 weeks left home , new routine, new food , different water , and expectations

let him rumble around the yard , choose his activity , usually in fits and starts , run , jump,
walk -- wtop , lie down , without social pressures or unwanted visits from sketchy dogs
What do you do to entertain him? I find that when i did the walks it helped settle down his energy a bit. I've tried training and playing in the house but it turns to biting really fast.

·
Super Moderator
7,345 Posts
I bought him out as there were no incidents in my area, now I think he's over friendly.
Don't over do it.
His genetics is what determined how friendly he is. Friendly doesn’t have to mean solicitous... you can always create rules and boundaries as to who and how he engages or interacts with people.

·
Registered
646 Posts
What did you do to burn off her energy? I find mines never tired.
Sorry, I never saw this

I was able to take my pup to my in-laws to play with their dogs in their large yard

Puppies don't seem to need a lot of exercise when they're young as they tired easily. We didn't have a yard, so that made things a little difficult, but if you have a yard, then you can play fetch and any throwing games. Name toys for your pup. Once trained enough of toy names, you can put a few toys out and say "Get X" and pup will have to sort through the toys and bring the right one. Hide and Seek with toys is fun too. Put puppy in a Sit/ Stay and go hide the toy. Then tell pup to Find it. Do easy "hiding" and then get to harder spots as they do better

Mind games are just as tiring to pups as physical games

Also, remember he's a puppy, so have some play and bond

·
Registered
248 Posts
I was taking my girl outside (Asia, tons of non-vaccinated stray dogs etc) from the first day I got her (8 weeks). Before all her shots. Not a single problem.

Just be careful about other dogs. Don't let them approach even if they seem friendly. At this age all it takes is 1 attack and you have aggressive/anxious dog for the rest of its life.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about exercising an 8 week old puppy. I would think a young pup could get all the exercise he needs right in the backyard (assuming you have one). I do take my pups out on short excursions before their vaccinations schedule is complete (usually). I know it is somewhat of a risk, but we stick to the pavement and places where there aren't many dogs, and where I can never recall seeing loose or stray animals.

·
Premium Member
11,244 Posts

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

an 8 week old puppy is a BABY! Let him adjust and grow....and gain strength and did I say grow????

He is a baby - it is your job to protect him from the dangers in the outside world's environment, to protect him from overtaxing and causing damage to himself. He is a BABY!!!

Reread Carmen's post ......THIS

Have fun....he will be out and about in no time and you will remember the puppy days fondly.

Lee

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
how to push a dog into orthopedic problems --- excess in nutrition particularly "empty" calories and calcium
excesses in exercise and inappropriate exercise .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts