German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been lookin on here and couldn't find when I am able to give my puppy adult food...she is only 4 months old but am just curious...I have also been thinking about switching from wellness to diamond large breed has anyone used diamond dog food?

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Yes, you can switch, but don't know about brand.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
If you do a search on the forum you can probably get some feedback about Diamond foods. Sold at Tractor Supply?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
i've never fed puppy food to my dogs.
I also didn't feed puppy food.

If you pick an appropriate adult food that has good calcium levels and such you will have to increase the amount for awhile but it is perfectly fine for a puppy.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Just curious. Is the idea behind adult food early to maintain an even/slow growth weight? While some puppy foods cause growing too rapidly in GSDs? Been thinking about it lately.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I wouldn't feed diamond if it were the last thing out there a better quality food is blue buffalo or Origen or better yet raw food

I have been lookin on here and couldn't find when I am able to give my puppy adult food...she is only 4 months old but am just curious...I have also been thinking about switching from wellness to diamond large breed has anyone used diamond dog food?

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
There is a good sticky note in the Feeding Our Puppies section that talks about calcium and protein in feeding a puppy.

With a treand towards hi protein adult dog foods it presents another perspective for feeding pups...most hipro foods have high calcium (not all higher quality meals have less calcium) but puppies are not as capable as adults as managing dietary imbalances.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I fed Diamond Naturals Large Breed Puppy food until Liv was 8 months then started feeding her the Diamond Naturals chicken rice adult food.She actually switched herself the other dogs ate that and I started noticing she liked it better then the lamb and rice puppy food! The dogs do well on it.

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
990 Posts
I think 4 month is a bit early - there's still a lot of growing to do :)

Mine is nearly 15 month and just got his first bag of Adult Large Breed food :)

·
Registered
990 Posts
Usually the puppy food is a different mix to the adult food to promote slow growth and vitamin/ mineral balance for rapidly growing puppies.

Kinda like feeding your baby formula as compared to what you eat ;)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So since my puppy is already under weight should I continue to feed puppy food since it slows their growth? Or should I get the adult food so she doesn't gain a lot of weight too fast?

·
Registered
990 Posts
Stick with the puppy food especially if your dog is under weight - it has a higher percentage of fat and protein as adult food.
You also don't want her to grow too quickly as it stresses the joints. ( putting on weight is different to growing ) :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright that's what I'll do then...when we got her she was 10 weeks and only weighed 6 lbs...she is 16 weeks now and weighs about 25 lbs which is still skinny but she is gaining the weight back... she had hook worms before and that's why she wasn't gaining it to begin with so after a couple treatments of some de worming she got rid of them and she is doing great

1 - 20 of 22 Posts