German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please show me where in the rules it bans threads that cordially state that a member is leaving the forum? I read the rules twice. :confused:

Can a moderator please explain to me why my last thread was locked down even though it included an apology and statement that I will stick around awhile.:confused:

This site seems to be a little overly heavily moderated.:(

Will that last statement get me banned?:confused:

·
Registered
31,835 Posts
No, saying the site is heavily moderated will not get you banned. Some people might disagree, or tell you to go to the pedigree datatbase if you want to be a member of a non-moderated forum -- they eat people over there, LOL!

However, it is up to the Admins, I believe what posts are allowed, and what posts are not allowed. Like, politics, if it has to do with dogs, it is supposed to be allowed, but certain people seem to think that it is not appropriate and will delete it and send you to the rules, and you will read the rule, and scratch your head, and believe it is perfectly alright and say so, and then they will tell you that the admins can decide what is ok.

Don't feel picked on, Goodbye Cruel World threads are generally removed, perhaps because they get people up in arms. Think about it, I get upset and post, "I'm leaving because people are so mean here and hurt my feelings." And then some people will say, "Oh, don't go!" And others might say "don't let the door hit cha on the way out." Then group one will tell group two that they are the reason for everything from the wild fires in Colorado to the state of the union. It causes big arguments. So they are generally deleted.

·
Premium Member
4,733 Posts
when the thread becomes to heated and there is mud slinging, usually the moderators will shut it down. i just read your thread, sorry to hear about losing your boy :(

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'd say its this:

9. Do not use statements that incite conflict among members;
And this post did that?

"First I wish to apologize to "Selzer". I didn't appreciate your post on my thread about losing Toby and I called you out on it in a crude way. I'm sorry for that. I can't believe the number of negative posts that thread drew even after I explained all of the circumstances. I spend a lot of time on boating forums which are mainly men and we can speak our minds a little more freely there. I was out of line but so were some of the other posts on that thread.

Selzer, the AKC petition does not affect me, you are right. My point was that the AKC supports small "hobby" breeders which many people look down their nose at. After reading some of the breeding forum stickys it seems to be the mentality on this site also. I do breed fine puppies as a hobby. I encourage feed-back from my customers and it has all been positive but for one puppy that died and I refunded the buyers money.

I love German Shepherd dogs and will always have them. That seems to be the only thing I have in common with many of the members of this forum.

For those who posted sincere condolences about Toby, Thank you. I miss him so much. :("

I'm kind of confused here. Someone says that good-bye threads are strictly forbidden and sure enough, after I type a long post, the thread has been closed. In no way did it incite conflict and nowhere in the rules does it ban farewell threads. The thread was actually going quite well for the main part and I was going to explain about my breeding practices.

I just read the posts that went up while I was typing. I guess I'll just take a voluntary time out.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Don't feel picked on, Goodbye Cruel World threads are generally removed, perhaps because they get people up in arms. Think about it, I get upset and post, "I'm leaving because people are so mean here and hurt my feelings." And then some people will say, "Oh, don't go!" And others might say "don't let the door hit cha on the way out." Then group one will tell group two that they are the reason for everything from the wild fires in Colorado to the state of the union. It causes big arguments. So they are generally deleted.
I think this is likely very correct.

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
And this post did that?

"First I wish to apologize to "Selzer". I didn't appreciate your post on my thread about losing Toby and I called you out on it in a crude way. I'm sorry for that. I can't believe the number of negative posts that thread drew even after I explained all of the circumstances. I spend a lot of time on boating forums which are mainly men and we can speak our minds a little more freely there. I was out of line but so were some of the other posts on that thread.

Selzer, the AKC petition does not affect me, you are right. My point was that the AKC supports small "hobby" breeders which many people look down their nose at. After reading some of the breeding forum stickys it seems to be the mentality on this site also. I do breed fine puppies as a hobby. I encourage feed-back from my customers and it has all been positive but for one puppy that died and I refunded the buyers money.

I love German Shepherd dogs and will always have them. That seems to be the only thing I have in common with many of the members of this forum.

For those who posted sincere condolences about Toby, Thank you. I miss him so much. :("

I'm kind of confused here. Someone says that good-bye threads are strictly forbidden and sure enough, after I type a long post, the thread has been closed. In no way did it incite conflict and nowhere in the rules does it ban farewell threads. The thread was actually going quite well for the main part and I was going to explain about my breeding practices.

Because most of the time, 'Goodbye' threads are often started after an argument in a related thread. It's unnecessary and starts drama. This thread will be closed as well.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I'm assuming those goodbye threads are generally closed because they are usually spin-offs from other threads. To be honest I don't have the rules of this forum memorized but every other forum I belong to (even ones that are loosely moderated and do not bad any topics like we have here) do not allow spin-offs.

You can always use PMs to apologize to specific people.

·
Registered
31,835 Posts
Carl, go down to the breeding forum, General Breeding, or Breeding Chat and open a thread about what your breeding practices are, if that is what you want to do. It may draw fire from folks. People here love dogs and love our breed, but if you want to talk about your breeding practices it should be its own thread in the breeding section.

·
Registered
30,384 Posts
Just curious...why would anyone start a post to say they are leaving and then start another one on why they one they started to say they were leaving was deleted. Didn't that defeat the purpose of the first post? hmmmmm......

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Ya well i was recently told a certain post was to out there and they are tired of covering up my swear words that I put maybe two actual typed words and the rest ***. So since I love this forum, I will be a whipped pup and not say what I think any more.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
Good-by threads usually just rehash all the drama from the previous threads that have been closed for spiraling out of control. Those who have been here for a while start to pick up the danger signals early on.

I'm glad you decided to stay, there is a lot of good stuff on the board for those who are willing to learn. And the apology to Selzer was a gracious thing to do. Thank you.

Ya well i was recently told a certain post was to out there and they are tired of covering up my swear words that I put maybe two actual typed words and the rest ***. So since I love this forum, I will be a whipped pup and not say what I think any more.
Just find some appropriate ways to express strong emotions. Their is a rich vocabulary out there in the English language just waiting to be used, that are evocative of strong emotion yet completely board-approved.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Ya well that's kind of hard to figure out. What you approve of and what you don't. I tried to talk about a post about personal freedoms when some silly law was trying to get passed about requiring to get your dogs in New York to have some silly training course required and that got deleted. Why? I have no idea. There wasn't a single swear word in it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Carl, I am very sorry about your loss :(

I do hope you stay. I don't agree with how you handled Toby's situation, but I have a feeling that if a similar situation were to arise in the future, you would made different decisions.

As for not knowing about HW treatment. Hubby and I got our Westie and Pek mix as puppies in 2001, our first vet just put them on heartworm pills, no test given. We moved in 2003, our second vet kept re-filling their HW meds, never mentioned HW test. We adopted a senior GSD rescue in 2009, the rescue was in CA and did not put him on HW med, our vet just told us to start him on Heartguard. It wasn't until 2010, when I was reading a thread on Leerburg, that I realized my dogs needed HW tests. I went back to my vet and had all of them tested. My second vet had since retired, and the third vet does require a HW test at least once a year before he will re-fill the prescription. So I can relay, I didn't learn about HW tests from my vets, the info actually came from an online forum.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
This board does seem to be heavier moderated all the time. <shrug> Not much the members can do about it.

Don't know if it's just the style of the moderators or if it has something to do with it being a commercial board. I suspect the latter, I would imagine that the revenue is based on members viewing and people do seem to complain and leave if they feel that people are being mean to them.

Probably why there are so many chit chat type of threads anymore. If you are complaining about your spouse not emptying the dishwasher you're not going to get as passionate and cross the super nice line with another member as you may with something breed related.

Which reminds me, I need to empty the dishwasher. AGAIN! LOL

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Carl, I am very sorry about your loss :(

As for not knowing about HW treatment. Hubby and I got our Westie and Pek mix as puppies in 2001, our first vet just put them on heartworm pills, no test given. We moved in 2003, our second vet kept re-filling their HW meds, never mentioned HW test. We adopted a senior GSD rescue in 2009, the rescue was in CA and did not put him on HW med, our vet just told us to start him on Heartguard. It wasn't until 2010, when I was reading a thread on Leerburg, that I realized my dogs needed HW tests. I went back to my vet and had all of them tested. My second vet had since retired, and the third vet does require a HW test at least once a year before he will re-fill the prescription. So I can relay, I didn't learn about HW tests from my vets, the info actually came from an online forum.
I live in the south where hw is common. I was shocked once when I brought a new dog that I had purchased for shots ect and realized that the vet hadn't brought up heartworm testing or preventive at all.

That was such a red flag for me I haven't been back.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Because most of the time, 'Goodbye' threads are often started after an argument in a related thread. It's unnecessary and starts drama. This thread will be closed as well.
I can see that I guess. That thread had one negative post though and had I been a mod here I would have deleted that post. Otherwise the thread was going pretty well and I was about to answer some questions when it got locked down. I hope they don't lock this one because that will be #3! Maybe we can just let it die since my question has been answered. Maybe the rules should be updated as well! :)

I'm assuming those goodbye threads are generally closed because they are usually spin-offs from other threads. To be honest I don't have the rules of this forum memorized but every other forum I belong to (even ones that are loosely moderated and do not bad any topics like we have here) do not allow spin-offs.

You can always use PMs to apologize to specific people.
I believe that if you are mean to someone in "public" then your apology should be made in front of those same people. I do see your point about the spin-offs.

Just curious...why would anyone start a post to say they are leaving and then start another one on why they one they started to say they were leaving was deleted. Didn't that defeat the purpose of the first post? hmmmmm......
People can change their minds. Questions had been asked and I was going to address the cordial ones.

lol. At least "bitch" isn't in the cuss filter here!:laugh:

Let's finish the popcorn and let this thread fade away please. Thanks for the info. Peace.:cool:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts