German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:crying: My 4YO GSD (Mia) have been having skin problems since she was 2 YO -she would end up with a rat tail & dull and thin hair-. It would always happen close to her heat.

However, last year (October, 2017) It got worse. I am at loss now, I spayed her -not that I regret it, but I thought that would be the solution- because my vet #1 thought it was related to demodex & since hormones seem to have a role on it, the spay was recommended.

So, after a few months of treatment - I switched her to raw food, supplemented with OMEGAS, Vit E, etc... on January she was back to her normal self, superb coat and so on-... I took her to the clinic with my Vet #2 to spay her on 2018, February 8.

I mentioned my vet #2 why I was spaying her and she told me it probably wasn´t demodex, maybe just hormones problems that would get quickly fixed after her spay.

After her spay, the black skin started appearing again on her belly but I was told it would go away soon. And here I am on May, with all the symptoms again... I told my Vet #2 during a call that I suspected it was something related to Thyroids problems, so after getting tired of waiting, I took Mia in today to the clinic so that she could see the skin problems that I meant & she´s willing to treat it as hypo, but............. there´s no way to test her T´lvls. And she´s willing to treat it because Mia hasn´t shown any improvements during the last months.

There are no specifics test for thyroids for dogs on my country, she says the human tests won´t give us reliable results. The Vet wants to start her on a low dosage of levothyroxine, 600 mg daily, during 15 days...vet told me it wasn´t something right to do, but...there´s no other way.

She asked me if I was ok with this. Explained that there would be no side effects & and if my gsd was indeed having thyroid issues, I would notice an improvement in 15 days. However, If there were no improvements in those 15 days, we could try the human tests to see what would come up...But that we should at least try such dosage during 2 months to see what comes up. If she gets better or not.

I have been giving her since February all kind of omegas, vit e, vit c, garlic...and no improvement after 3 months now. Her symptoms are:

- Hair Loss, normally on her face (eyebrows mostly), neck, trunk, rear legs & tail -we would jokingly call it "rat tail" in our home...
- Dull and thin hair
- Excessive hair shedding, there´s hair everywhere in my home
- Black patches of skin, always on her belly, all that spot would turn black, and her neck too, with lots of hair loss...
- Ear infections,, I treat it and after a week, the problem occurs again
- Weight Loss, I don´t know why, because she´s eating like a maniac!
- Lethargy, I notice it because she´ll not be that interested in playing with my 8YO Gsd. They usually play a lot, but when she´s like this, she will only play a little with him & then go bunkers on him... showing teeths and all because she´s no longer interested in playing
- Scratching
- Licking her private parts
- Soft Poop

I have been reading about hypothyroidism & seems like it always runs with weight gain, but Mia is on the contrary, she´s losing weight.... So I am kind of scared to treat her right now, I could post pic of her belly in a while...

What would you guys do if you were in my position? Are there really no side effects? Is your dog hypo? what were the symptoms it showed?

Any advice would be really appreciated!

Sorry if there are typos, I am not English native!

Belly PIC:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I don't know much about this, but I thought I'd bump it up in hopes someone that does will chime in. It does seem, from what I've read, that hypothyroidism slows the dog's metabolism, so weight loss is is not likely caused by the disorder.

Hypothyroidism in German Shepherds: FAQs** - German Shepherd World

Hopefully someone who has some specific knowledge will chime in and help!

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I agree with Tim that hypothyroidism actually causes weight gain so I think if it is a thryoid issue, it would be overactive thryoid or hyperthyroidism as discussed in these articles:

https://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/endocrine/c_dg_hyperthyroidism

Hypothyroidism and Hyperthyroidism in Dogs

My dobe was diagnosed with hypothryoidism but the vet first sent in her bloodwork for the T4 test before prescribing the medication as the test results also indicated what doseage should be given. So, what I would do, is to go to another vet for a second opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
Look up Addison's disease. I noticed that several of your pup's symptoms are the same as those listed for Addison's disease...not sure if she has them all, but hair loss, lethargy, weight loss are some.
Might be something to mention to the vet. Hope you get this figured out soon.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys! I will check the links posted & true thing, I will have to look for a second opinion, I hope others can chime in too.

I told my bf about this post & he told me that he doesn´t think Mia has lost weight, it´s just that I see her on the leaner side because she has almost no coat... because when she does has her full coat, I don´t see her last ribs. Which I think is true...

Reactions: Mary Beth
1 - 5 of 5 Posts